Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2012, 03:57 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I remember when I was young, and so was Walmart, Sam was held up as an ideal...someone who made something of nothing. There is a threshold, we say we love to see people be successful but not TOO successful. I can't remember exactly when the tide changed towards Walmart but it did.
Yes, you're so correct about sam, he was an American icon, and people really looked up to him because he provided low cost items and jobs.

I'm thinking the tide changed because of the amount of businesses walmart killed when it moved into the neighborhoods of America. I also think the tide changed when Americans lost manufacturing jobs and walmart brought cheap chinese junk to sell.

Americans can't compete with other countries that pay their workers 25 cents a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 04:07 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
This is one of the funniest threads I've read in awhile. Look at all the little libs crying because they don't understand business.

Get out of Berkeley, go for another major besides, "Liberal Arts" and start up your own business. I wish libs would start their own business...then we could sit back, with a giant bowl of popcorn and watch them pay all their workers a, "living wage", while appeasing their share holders and the customers.

"Waaah, they make more money than me! Waaah! It's not fair! I got a degree in Basket Weaving at Evergreen State College...why am I not making more than minimum wage! I hate all rich people...even though rich people are the ones who keep this country going...waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!"

lol

Total entertainment.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:10 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times
Sam was a man to be admired.
He was the conventional definition of what made America great.
Starting a business from the ground up and dedicated to serving Americans with American products.

What we have today is a bunch of Anti American traitors in the government and their cronies in the Multi National Corporations and Wall Street Banks whose only purpose is to serve themselves and not the best interests of the country, by not building and creating, but by destroying and harvesting companies by either loading them up with debt so they fail, or are already close to failing thanks to the same Foreign Trade Policies by the same people that got us here.

So how is it working out America where Big Money is allowed to own our government?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Yes, you're so correct about sam, he was an American icon, and people really looked up to him because he provided low cost items and jobs.

I'm thinking the tide changed because of the amount of businesses walmart killed when it moved into the neighborhoods of America. I also think the tide changed when Americans lost manufacturing jobs and walmart brought cheap chinese junk to sell.

Americans can't compete with other countries that pay their workers 25 cents a day.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:14 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
And don't shop at Target, or K Mart, or Sears, or JC Penney, Lowes, Home Depot, Best Buy, or any big box retailer. They all have the same business practices and target the little guy independant business owner.
Just stay home. 30 years ago we had a K mart come to town, long before Wal Mart or Target did. They drove a local retailer out of business, it was called Nichols.
Home Depot pays good salaries and allows the employees to participate in profit-sharing (i.e. shares).

Old 11-22-2012, 04:14 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
The irony in this thread is appalling.

Your boycott will get you ran over while people fall all over themselves to buy things they can't afford with credit they shouldn't have just so they can enrich the "plutocrats."

Old 11-22-2012, 04:15 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This is one of the funniest threads I've read in awhile. Look at all the little libs crying because they don't understand business.

Total entertainment.

I'm not a liberal here but a Libertarian that believes in America First.
If you back the foreign trade policies that are responsible for where we are, that were passed by these same Corporations and Banks as lobbyists on the outside and as former CEO's on the inside as politicians, then you are part of the problem.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:16 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Home Depot pays good salaries and allows the employees to participate in profit-sharing (i.e. shares).
So the employees benefit from the goods made in China that they sell?

Old 11-22-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Salary should be commensurate with the return that you bring to the company. A retail worker at Walmart is an extremely unproductive position. They are paid what they are worth.
On the contrary the sales people of Walmart MADE the company --- even Sam Walton said that many times. Without the sales associates there would be no Walmart. Without the current-day Waltons there would still be a Walmart -- none of them work there.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Why don't you go make something of yourself and you wouldn't have time to be envious of those who have made it? You have the same importunity as 'Sam Walton did, only he wasn't lazy and actually did something with his life. Everyone wants free stuff and no have to work for it. that happens when a communist is sitting in the WH. this country is screwed over by the losers, who now outnumber the good people. obama is getting his wish, the economy is destroyed with his good work..

I notice you didn't address the main point of my post --- that the current Walton heirs are not working. Why don't you address that? They sure didn't "make something" of themselves. They inherited it.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:23 PM

[quote=Nayabone;27055101]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Fat cats are fleecing no one. those they think they are, are the lazy one who are the dregs of society..
"Fat cats" are fleecing everyone. Wall Street brought on the current recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies