Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 08:51 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Ahh, cannot deal with the message so you go after the messenger, real grown up. I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and out a better argument. Heck you cannot even quote a post without screwing it up.

Who is worth $50,000,000 a year? Justify one person taking that much out of the capital worth of a company and out of this economy....

The owner of a company that make that much profit is worth it. He built the company and owns it, and no doubt employs a lot of people, either directly, or indirectly, in the process.

A CEO who takes a company that is on the skids and turns it around, is worth that much..

Various types of entertainers, who generate far more commerce than that, are "worth" it, and don't worry, the wealth is still in the economy, it just changed accounts.

I suspect you are inserting yourself into the equation, and knowing that your worth is much lower, can't relate.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-03-2012 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: rude/off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 08:52 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Are you really advocating that Obama give even more billions of dollars away to his green energy cronies with nothing to show for it?
Actually, the "failure" rate is mush less than drilling for oil. FYI, not every hole is going to produce, ask dubya, I think he was 0 for 100.

While we're on dubya's failures, how much did the US government waste on that search for WMD in Iraq?

Old 12-02-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
LOL, a "self made" billionaire doing so by sucking at the teet of the taxpayers. He must be a hero to the right.
Actually, his automation saved the goverment a temendous amount of money.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
You do realize that's because all of our competitors had been bombed to smithereens, right? We can emulate those conditions as soon as liberals are willing to bomb the hell out of all of Europe, the eastern pacific rim, and the U.S.'s NATO trade partners.

Deal?

Didn't think so.
You are asking him if he realized a salient matter? That's an automatic NO.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
More mindless drivel masquarading as intelligent speech.

The owner of a company that make that much profit is worth it. He built the company and owns it, and no doubt employs a lot of people, either directly, or indirectly, in the process.

A CEO who takes a company that is on the skids and turns it around, is worth that much..

Various types of entertainers, who generate far more commerce than that, are "worth" it, and don't worry, the wealth is still in the economy, it just changed accounts.

I suspect you are inserting yourself into the equation, and knowing that your worth is much lower, can't relate.

And don't slurp when you take your soup.
Sorry, justifying a person taking $50,000,000 capital out of a business every year by saying they did it so it's justified is utter nonsense. If we can define what a line worker is worth, what they add to the bottom line, and break that down to a hourly rate. Do the same with a CEO's lavish compensation. Justify there income vs the effort the put in. Why is one man's time worth $25 and another's is worth $25,000?

You claim that they created it or they invested in it is BS. We both know that isn't true that most CEO level executive are hire guns on a revolving merry go round, taking a golden parachute from one as they get bought up with shock options and bonus from the next.

You on that merry go round? Maybe you think if you capture that carrot they let you in...

Old 12-02-2012, 09:18 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Actually, the "failure" rate is mush less than drilling for oil.
Obama's familiar with that, too. He gave Brazil billions of taxpayer dollars to drill for oil that Brazil then sold to China.
After Obama 'Reset' U.S. Relations With Brazil, Brazil Turned To China - Investors.com

Quote:
While we're on dubya's failures, how much did the US government waste on that search for WMD in Iraq?
Ask Obama's Director of National Intelligence, General James R. Clapper. He saw Iraq move its illicit weapons to Syria after Senator Rockefeller (D-WV) tipped Syria (Iraq's ally at the time) off to U.S. plans:
Quote:
The director [Clapper] of a top American spy agency said Tuesday that he believed that material from Iraq's illicit weapons program had been transported into Syria and perhaps other countries as part of an effort by the Iraqis to disperse and destroy evidence immediately before the recent war.
THE STRUGGLE FOR IRAQ - WEAPONS SEARCH - Iraqis Removed Arms Material, U.S. Aide Says - NYTimes.com

The treasonous stunt Rockefeller pulled before the war that prompted Iraq to move the weapons:
Quote:
Rockefeller (D-WV): "I took a trip by myself in January of 2002 to Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Syria, and I told each of the heads of state that it was my view that George Bush had already made up his mind to go to war against Iraq, that that was a predetermined set course which had taken shape shortly after 9/11."
That was an Exact quote. Transcript here:
Transcript: Sens. Roberts, Rockefeller on 'FNS' with Chris Wallace

Ask Vice President Biden, too:
Quote:
MR. RUSSERT: I want to go back to 2002, because it’s important as to what people were saying then and what the American people were hearing. Here’s Joe Biden about Saddam Hussein: “He’s a long term threat and a short term threat to our national security.”

“We have no choice but to eliminate the threat. This is a guy who is an extreme danger to the world.”

“He must be dislodged from his weapons or dislodged from power.” You were emphatic about that.

SEN. BIDEN: That’s right, and I was correct about that. He must be, in fact—and remember the weapons we were talking about. I also said on your show, that’s part of what I said, but not all of what I meant. What I also said on your show at the time was that I did not think he had weaponized his material, but he did have. When, when the inspectors left after Saddam kicked them out, there was a cataloguing at the United Nations saying he had X tons of, X amount of, and they listed the various materials he had. The big issue, remember, on this show we talked about, was whether he had weaponized them. Remember you asked me about those flights that were taking place in southern Iraq, where—were they spraying anthrax? And, you know, what would happen? And, you know, so on and so forth. And I pointed out to you that they had not developed that capacity at all. But he did have these stockpiles everywhere.

MR. RUSSERT: Where are they?

SEN. BIDEN: Well, the point is, it turned out they didn’t, but everyone in the world thought he had them. The weapons inspectors said he had them. He catalogued—they catalogued them. This was not some, some Cheney, you know, pipe dream. This was, in fact, catalogued.
MTP Transcript for April 29, 2007 - Meet the Press | NBC News

Old 12-02-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Sorry, justifying a person taking $50,000,000 capital out of a business every year by saying they did it so it's justified is utter nonsense. If we can define what a line worker is worth, what they add to the bottom line, and break that down to a hourly rate. Do the same with a CEO's lavish compensation. Justify there income vs the effort the put in. Why is one man's time worth $25 and another's is worth $25,000?

You claim that they created it or they invested in it is BS. We both know that isn't true that most CEO level executive are hire guns on a revolving merry go round, taking a golden parachute from one as they get bought up with shock options and bonus from the next.

You on that merry go round? Maybe you think if you capture that carrot they let you in...
More drivel and strawmen.

When your arguments become rational, I'll play along. Until then, scamper.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
H. Ross Perot made billions processing Social Security Data.
Too bad you got your facts all wrong. Medicare, not SS, he didn't make billions from the government, he made billions when he sold his company to GM.

Still looking for that government made billionaire you claimed.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:17 AM

621 posts, read 658,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
In essence, there is no answer on the right why during a time when the nation had high taxes, strong unions and well-paid workers, we flourished. Since then, we held down wages, almost eliminated unions and drastically lowered taxes, and most feel poorer.
The closest explanation is this one. http://static.seekingalpha.com/uploa...load_gdp_1.jpg time spent below the curve gets you time spent above the curve. The area below the curve before WWII set up the area area above the curve after. Both psychologically and economically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
The Republicans are Pro-Success.
Really? Did you look at the curve? They have set up a really big crash for the US. That isn't pro success.
Quote:
Im sorry you cant invent the next big thing and become rich/successful at that.
in the works.
Quote:
But you dont need to be jealous and steal from them just cause you cant achieve it.
They are/have been jealous of the wealth of the middle class in America. They have been cashing it out. They are taking it from us. Not the other way around.
Quote:
*If i cant have it NOBODY can have it* The most stupid liberal arguement i have EVER heard.
as Winston Churchill said.
That is what the top is doing.
Quote:
If your not a liberal when your young you have no heart. If your not a conservative when your old you have no brain.
If you don't believe in paying your bill then you are a criminal. We need to pay our debts as a natiopn and that take more pay and full employment and the republicans are getting that in China and India.
Quote:
Im young so i have no heart but im not afraid to admit that. Its called Reality.
Really? If we don't commit to paying our bills as a nation then we are screwed. That is the reality.

Here is how supply side economics doesn't work long term. If I get a tax brake then I owe less taxes. But the expenditures are the same so the government borrows the difference. I have extra money so I borrow money at a low rate then buy T-bills at a higher rate and with enough leverage I double my money every year. (It is called the carry trade) This works short term. But long term the debt accumulates and then it implodes.

That is the reality of what is coming our way.

Quote:
Yep, looking at your chart it is easy to see that an aggressive tax policy of extreme income had paid off the massive debt of WWII in less than five years while the economy flourished. If the GOP profess that the massive debt is thee number one problem, taxing extreme excess income and possibly wealth is the answer.

The supply side experiment raygun pushed on us has only created a huge mess. Adding to it, isn't the fix.
Ya that is the gist of it. But the very high tax rate on the top end made them hide their income. In part by paying wages for doing stuff.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:18 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Are you really advocating that Obama give even more billions of dollars away to his green energy cronies with nothing to show for it?
One definition of stupidity is doing the same thing you did before but expecting different results this time....

If I just keep pushing this button that didn't work before....it just has to work one of these times.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies