Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 05:54 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
The Catholic Chruch has lost millions in lawsuits to young boys that were molested by gay priests. It has been in the news. I cannot imagine how you have missed it.

And that has what to do with the story that started this thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 06:25 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,582,052 times
In all fairness and since I started the thread. I think that the writer of the story was biased based on his choice of words. Notice he used the word "young man" instead of "man". It's unfortunate for Catholics, but I think when people think of the Catholic Church they automatically think "child molestor" "pediophile", etc.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:02 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
In all fairness and since I started the thread. I think that the writer of the story was biased based on his choice of words. Notice he used the word "young man" instead of "man". It's unfortunate for Catholics, but I think when people think of the Catholic Church they automatically think "child molestor" "pediophile", etc.

I think there are many who don't understand or refuse to acknowledge that there is a vast difference between homosexuality and pedophilia. To do so would force them to look at their own misconceptions and predjudices.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:29 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,582,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think there are many who don't understand or refuse to acknowledge that there is a vast difference between homosexuality and pedophilia. To do so would force them to look at their own misconceptions and predjudices.
You are probably correct, even the writer of the story. You have to admit though that the Catholic church has been bombarded with stories of pedophilia for years and years. Hence it's only human nature for one to "stero-type" as the writer did in this story. Initially, I thought it was an underage, then I had to go back and re-read it. Choice of words sometimes, skews logical thinking

Old 10-15-2007, 08:41 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
Yikes! Are you sure this personal flame isn't directed at citigirl simply because she disagrees with you?
Um, of course it was a personal flame, of course it was directed at her, and of course she disagrees with me. That was sort of the point. We've went round and round on this issue in the past so I thought I'd save myself some time and say from the outset eventually what would explode from my fingers.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
The Catholic Chruch has lost millions in lawsuits to young boys that were molested by gay priests. It has been in the news. I cannot imagine how you have missed it. This thread is about a Catholic gay priest. My comments are to point out that hidtorically gay priest have proven to be a total disaster for the Catholic Church.
Nooooooooo... pedophiles have caused the Catholic church problems.

Come on, you have to admit it, citigirl.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:16 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Nooooooooo... pedophiles have caused the Catholic church problems.

Come on, you have to admit it, citigirl.

I classify pedophiles by their sexual preference/persuasion/choice/born that way. I want to be progressive on this and I am sure that is how we classify everyone these days. Homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual and so on..........hence we have heterosexual pedophiles that only go after little girls, homosexual pedophiles that only go after little boys and pedophiles that go after any child, male of female.

What I have seen in the news is that it was homosexual pedophiles that were molesting little boys in the Catholic Church and it is a Catholic issue being discussed here. I am sure other churches have had their problems.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:30 PM

Yay! We're on the same page! When you leave out "pedophile," and say that homosexual priests were abusing boys, it lends credence to the thought that gay people are pedophiles, which is patently false.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:00 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Yay! We're on the same page! When you leave out "pedophile," and say that homosexual priests were abusing boys, it lends credence to the thought that gay people are pedophiles, which is patently false.
I do not think all gays are pedophiles but the founder of the gay rights movement was a strong advocate of man/boy love.

Harry Hay

Said Harry: "Because if the parents and friends of gays are truly friends of gays, they would know from their gay kids that the relationship with an older man is precisely what thirteen-, fourteen-, and fifteen-year-old kids need more than anything else in the world."

In short, San Francisco's beloved Harry Hay was a vigorous and well-known advocate of older men having sex with young boys. He was a fearless and quite famous advocate for Congressman Mark Foley's behavior.

The Catholic Church should not have protected gay priests that they knew were molesting boys and they have and should suffer for that.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:03 PM

I agree that the Catholic church has attempted to cover up sexual abuse scandals and that that is pretty hypocritical behaviour for them to be engaging in.

As a gay man, I don't even know who Harry Hay is. So, I guess, but whatever??? Gender and sexual orientation neutrality in law, media and society is a very complex, diverse movement better represented by interest groups (HRC, Lambda, AWID, NOW, GLAD, GLAAD, GPac, etc.) than by any singular person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies