Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 06:32 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Obama is only raiding Medicare.

Medicare spending could be cut by giving vouchers --- but not by stealing from those who paid for Medicare to give free health care to those who don't pay anything.
Please try to make sense when you talk to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 06:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
In 2017 the states will have to pickup the addditonal cost of medicad rolls i their states under the law. mnay states have falt said they will not ans supreme court says the federal government cannot sut funding if they don't under thr recent ruling.I don't thnik many have any idea on medicaid cost really but certainyl it is one of three entitlements that cost is running away and has to be addressed.There are alot of estimates but several say that the increases are so high that in future 16% of federal money now collected from all sources of the 18% will go to fund these three. That would leave 2% for everything else. No matter what even if close and you give some that is a huge problem.One of the reason its said that of all the talks and proposal o the congreesional created cliff;none but the President Simpsom/Bowles address long term fiscal problem of deficit reductio to sustainable levels. They all even the presidentsw only put a down payment. At the highest level proposed for rich tax increases it amounts to 2%. reduction.That emans the deficit will keep increasig especially when borrowig gets higher which is not somethig you can calualate. That si what Greece afces;interest to borrow that is at credit card levels and you never can payoff the principal basically.Allthis money as to flow from the priavte sector economy to governamnt which emans less money i the priavte sector. The risch are not goig to pay all of it and much will be passed down as cost of business.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:33 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm a little confused lately by the GOP. We just had an election where they accused and tried to demonize Obama for cutting Medicare by "$700 billion." They said that was a bad thing and that Obama "gutted" and "stole" from Medicare.

What I'm confused by now is that the GOP is saying that we need entitlement cuts as part of a fiscal deal. So what has changed the GOP's mind about cutting Medicare spending? I thought that meant "gutting" Medicare.
We do need medicare cuts as part of a fiscal deal. The GOP was calling out Obama's lies and hypocrisy on that point. This is the difference.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:35 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
Read the first post. The GOP said Obama gutted Medicare, by not paying private insurance companies to do what Medicare does cheaper, and now they say Medicare should be cut.

What is so hard to understand about my question?
But that $700 million wasn't just due to cuts to the Medicare Advantaged plans. There were also cuts to providers and cuts to home health. There were cuts that directly affected the Medicare consumer. You know, the ones the Democrats were supposedly protecting.

BOTH parties lie through their teeth to their base and just want to run contrary to the other party.
Repubs have always been to cut Medicare, but run up Medicare drug tab under Bush; Dems have mantained its cheaper to have govt run healthcare yet gave private companies the big bucks under Obamacare.

Accept that fact you will always be misled by EITHER party

Old 11-28-2012, 06:46 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
No. Congress reduced payments to privately managed Medicare Advantage plans to align more closely with rates paid for comparable care under traditional Medicare. Congress also slightly reduced annual increases in payments to physicians and to hospitals that serve a disproportionate share of low-income patients. Along with other minor adjustments, these changes reduced Medicare’s projected cost over the next decade by $455 billion.

Democrats slowed the growth of Medicare and expanded benefits. Republicans called that gutting Medicare. Republicans want to voucherize Medicare. The BS is clearly coming from one side of the aisle.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:51 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
No. Congress reduced payments to privately managed Medicare Advantage plans to align more closely with rates paid for comparable care under traditional Medicare. Congress also slightly reduced annual increases in payments to physicians and to hospitals that serve a disproportionate share of low-income patients. Along with other minor adjustments, these changes reduced Medicare’s projected cost over the next decade by $455 billion.

Democrats slowed the growth of Medicare and expanded benefits. Republicans called that gutting Medicare. Republicans want to voucherize Medicare. The BS is clearly coming from one side of the aisle.
The Ratio of Obamacare's Medicare Cuts to New 'Benefits' is Fifteen-to-One - Forbes

CBO didn't seem to think the Medicare cuts from Obamacare were as innocuous as you think.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:31 PM

561 posts, read 505,810 times
Quote:
Medicare spends 3% on administrative costs. Private insurance companies spend 20-30% on administrative costs.
At least be honest about the “facts” you present. Medicare is NOT more efficient than private insurance. If you include the cost of ALL federal agencies required to administer Medicare it’s no less than private insurance companies.

> IRS collects the payroll taxes for Medicare;
> Social Security collects Part B premiums for Medicare;
> Department of Health provides accounting, auditing, marketing and fraud investigation;
> General Services provides office space, property management, building and more.

Plus, private insurers pay tax that is counted as an administrative cost. Medicare pays no tax.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:38 PM

561 posts, read 505,810 times
Quote:
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:04 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
Quote:
I'm a little confused lately by the GOP. We just had an election where they accused and tried to demonize Obama for cutting Medicare by "$700 billion." They said that was a bad thing and that Obama "gutted" and "stole" from Medicare.

What I'm confused by now is that the GOP is saying that we need entitlement cuts as part of a fiscal deal. So what has changed the GOP's mind about cutting Medicare spending? I thought that meant "gutting" Medicare.
Obama said he wanted entitlement reform in 08 and 2010....so now you are mad that the GOP is trying to support him?....

Old 11-29-2012, 04:25 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:

Its called politics. Remember Ryan's plan did the same thing Obama did. The only difference is the president used that 700 billion elsewhere, not to cut the deficit.

We need to go over the cliff. Middle class tax cuts are going to happen this year or early the next. The president has the high ground on this. I think Boehner is trying to kick the can to the debt ceiling fight. Negotiations with a man with a gun to his head. That's what republicans want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies