Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:01 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,960,534 times

Advertisements

Nowhere in particular. I've lived in 8 state, the District of Columbia and England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 09:03 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,233,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Because arguing with someone from the Bay Area about private property rights is like arguing with someone from Saudi Arabia about women's rights.

I'm not arguing that what you are saying is true. My point is more general that if other people can tell you what to do with that property, it's not really yours in the traditional sense.
Well welcome to a life within a society, you don't live in a bubble and your actions do have a reaction and can affect others around you.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:06 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,154,069 times
The liberal bastion of New London, CT is wholly and completely responsible for the Supreme Court finding that private property may be confiscated by state and local governments for economic redevelopment by private developers. Not state development like roads and sewers......private economic development like Chili's or Exxon or Walmart or a skating rink. They can take your house and your land and put an Office Depot on it if they want to, and you must accept it.

Yes, this is the product of LIBERALISM, and you better like it because you have no choice in the matter.

Kelo v. City of New London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-28-2012, 09:08 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,042,658 times
Quote:
Nowhere in particular. I've lived in 8 state, the District of Columbia and England.
Go figure. You are just a hobo nomad wandering the globe with no home to call your own. You probably pitch a tent like the rest of the occupy bums. You have problems with home ownership because you don't or can't own a home.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:08 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,233,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The liberal bastion of New London, CT is wholly and completely responsible for the Supreme Court finding that private property may be confiscated by state and local governments for economic redevelopment by private developers. Not state development like roads and sewers......private economic development like Chili's or Exxon or Walmart or a skating rink.

Yes, this is the product of LIBERALISM, and you better like it because you have choice in the matter.
Actually this liberal is against such things, it should only be used when it is for the greater good of the area. Has there actually been cases where this has been used to build something like a Chili's or Walmart? Got any links?

Old 11-28-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well welcome to a life within a society, you don't live in a bubble and your actions do have a reaction and can affect others around you.
I'm not arguing that. I really don't think you understand my point. Explain to me how land is private property if the government can tell you what to do with it and can kick you off of it if you don't pay your taxes (rent). Or if they can take it from you (eminent domain) for public reasons.

My argument has nothing to do with the merits of zoning, city ordinances, etc., many of which I personally agree with. All I am saying is that it is a myth that land is private property if you can be told what to do with it and if it can be taken from you if you don't pay the government. My point is more theoretical than practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
Go figure. You are just a hobo nomad wandering the globe with no home to call your own. You probably pitch a tent like the rest of the occupy bums. You have problems with home ownership because you don't or can't own a home.
I choose not to own a home because it doesn't make sense to for me, especially given the real estate crash. My bank calls or mails me at least once a week trying to get me to take out a mortgage.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:13 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,154,069 times
Quote:
Actually this liberal is against such things, it should only be used when it is for the greater good of the area. Has there actually been cases where this has been used to build something like a Chili's or Walmart? Got any links?
Whether it's happened or not is irrelevant. The fact that New London, CT fought for it, and won, is the only thing that matters. It could happen. The Supreme Court guarantees it.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:15 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,042,658 times
Quote:

I choose not to own a home because it doesn't make sense to for me, especially given the real estate crash. My bank calls or mails me at least once a week trying to get me to take out a mortgage.
Sounds like a personal problem then. Were you a victim of gov't takeover? Was your friend or family a victim?

Old 11-28-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Not Chili's or Walmart, but Pfizer. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/13/ny...izer.html?_r=0

Kelo v. City of New London, 545 U.S. 469 (2005)[1] was a case decided by the Supreme Court of the United States involving the use of eminent domain to transfer land from one private owner to another private owner to further economic development.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
Sounds like a personal problem then. Were you a victim of gov't takeover? Was your friend or family a victim?
I always thought living in the Bay Area reflected significant personal or psychiatric problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies