Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we build the HSR network
Yes 192 60.57%
No 125 39.43%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 11:17 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,380,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The small air ports are still much cheaper and faster.

The distance between cities in the air doesn't require development or maintenance.

All you need is a 15 acres and some cement.

No tunnels to dig, no bridges to build, don't have to worry about people/animals getting hit by a train, doesn't disrupt traffic.

I am still waiting for a reason why rail travel is better than air travel besides that's what europe does or air traffic.
Yeppers. Totally agree. Visalia will be putting in a shuttle to Sacramento in February for the pittance of $39.
SeaPort Airlines announces Visalia schedule

I'd much rather get on this than a 200 mph train. Last time I took the Amtrack from Hanford to Sac, we got stopped somewhere around Modesto for over an hour while they cleared debris off the track....debris left there by some rogue youths, of which there are many in Modesto. The porter said they do it all the time. Can you imagine that scene with a high speed train? Yowza!!! Thank you, no...I'll fly.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:32 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Yeppers. Totally agree. Visalia will be putting in a shuttle to Sacramento in February for the pittance of $39.
SeaPort Airlines announces Visalia schedule

I'd much rather get on this than a 200 mph train. Last time I took the Amtrack from Hanford to Sac, we got stopped somewhere around Modesto for over an hour while they cleared debris off the track....debris left there by some rogue youths, of which there are many in Modesto. The porter said they do it all the time. Can you imagine that scene with a high speed train? Yowza!!! Thank you, no...I'll fly.
TGV high-speed has been in operation since 1981 and has never had a fatality in that time. If the French can do it, I'm sure we can at least manage less fatalities than airplanes.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:30 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Write your Congressmen!
For what? There are more pressing issues he should be addressing then Amtrak's schedule.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:42 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
For what? There are more pressing issues he should be addressing then Amtrak's schedule.
Congressmen spend plenty of time naming buildings after people. If you care about CSX violating federal law and getting away with it, that's a valid concern.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:56 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I think we should have a HSR system carrying passengers and light priority freight on a completely separate set of tracks of very high speed guide ways. The system should be owned and operated at cost by the Federal Government as a public utility. This system would compete with the semi socialized airline and package delivery industries.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:09 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
TGV high-speed has been in operation since 1981 and has never had a fatality in that time. If the French can do it, I'm sure we can at least manage less fatalities than airplanes.
and TVG is losing money...and ridership is way down

Old 01-17-2015, 02:12 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So the answer to closing down small regional air ports is to replace them with uber expensive HSR that is slower and more expensive.

You sound like a snake oil salesman.

Many if not most small regional airports have been closed down and are no longer served by scheduled airlines. Most such airports either being sold to redevelopers or hosting the private planes of a few rich enough to afford them! Aren't you proud to be subsidizing a high net worth individual in the NE or Midwest so he can make a quick flight in his Cessna down south to play a round of golf in Bradenton FL in January?

Old 01-17-2015, 02:24 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually for areas that have airports in more rural areas that we are subsidizing, it would make more sense to upgrade the rail lines connecting those places to areas with larger populations. It doesn't have to be full HSR, but it would need to be passenger rail lines and the ability to operate at a higher speed to make it more efficient for those to use that live out in small towns that currently have federally funded airports.
Much of the geography of Western an Midwestern states (i.e why towns were built where they are in the first place) was due to the construction and location of railroad lines. Towns were created or grew from small villages when the rail lines reached them and gave them a prosperous future. Look at a map of Kansas, Montana, Wyoming or even Texas Slow speed passenger rail was the ONLY way to travel any distance before 1900, so all one is asking is to restore what our great grand parents know and had. They didn't have paved roads, or airports. The nation will cry for rail service when that great sucking sound makes oil prohibitively expensive.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:38 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and TVG is losing money...and ridership is way down
It is? I would be interested in seeing something that shows it is losing money and ridership is way down.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:55 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,860 times
^^Either way, I think it's more important to note that Amtrak Ridership is up 50% since the mid 2000s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies