Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we build the HSR network
Yes 192 60.57%
No 125 39.43%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 08:21 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
China doesn't mess around squabbling about guns or ridiculous who-shot-John political theories. If something needs to get done they get on it.

We used to have that can-do spirit here in the States.
China displaced over 40 million people on projects like the HSR. That sounds like a great plan, let's force everyone in California out of their home and business for no real benefit.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:27 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
China takes the git 'er done approach.

When is the last time we built any big infrastructure? They are crushing us on education, manufacturing and infrastructure know how.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:48 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
We have trains already that are money pits to the tax payers because of low ridership. It is very easy to project the shortcomings of HSR.

Spending money for the sake of spending money is not a good plan.

Tell me again why HSR is markedly better than the already paid for air planes again? Why we should spend more than a trillion dollars on a train?
Want to talk about money pits?

Our roads are the biggest money pits. They are subsidized $0.50 to every $1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
To some extent I agree, though HSR is like any other regional project that receives federal funding.
.....and we know there is NO LIMIT to Federal funding.

The United States is monetarily sovereign. It can pay any bill of any size at any time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
HSR will not work: not at least the way most people THINK it will work

1. ""high speed"' HAS to be between far distances with NO inbetween stops....otherwise it will never be high speed.....in other words you could have a boston to NYC....but you would HAVE to leave the people of CT in the dust..... or a NYC to WASHDC....leaving the people of NJ and del and Maryland in the dust

2. government rail doesn't work....Amtrak has lost money every year since its creation in the 1970's.....
2a. tyr taking an amtrak from NYC to NC.....time..... 25 hrs...so many stops....meanwhile its a 10 hr drive......now think about all the stops...most people forget about the stops when they '''dream''' of HSR

3. for the west coast..you would need to have Tijuana to seatle, for it to be feasible as a HIGHSPEED rail
Ugh. I'll repeat my statement.. because this is such a terrible argument you are providing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Does everyone that uses I-80 between Chicago and Sacramento drive from Chicago to Sacramento?

How does everyone have a brain fart whenever HSR comes up? Like the Interstate Highway System, most people on the roads are making local or regional trips. Chicago riders are going to travel to Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Kansas City, etc. They will obviously fly to California. That has nothing to do with the viability of linking a dozen cities between Chicago and California.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:07 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:

The United States is monetarily sovereign. It can pay any bill of any size at any time.

Ugh. I'll repeat my statement.. because this is such a terrible argument you are providing.
We would have more money for roads if half the gas tax wasn't taken for other pet projects.

I'll follow that up with having one money pit isn't a good reason to have a second money pit.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:08 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
China doesn't mess around squabbling about guns or ridiculous who-shot-John political theories. If something needs to get done they get on it.

We used to have that can-do spirit here in the States.
Yes, we want a more totalitarian government in the United States. Or you do.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:09 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
China takes the git 'er done approach.

When is the last time we built any big infrastructure? They are crushing us on education, manufacturing and infrastructure know how.
Infrastructure know-how?

The Chinese go cheap. That isn't always good.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:10 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:

really now...

I love trains...3rd generation railroader...

but HSR wont work , especially in the northeast cooridor....NO ROOM to even lay the tracks

do you even understand all the logistics that go into planning a railroad???

do you even understand EPA, FRA rules and regulations??

bet you don't...you would rather ''pull on the heart strings'' than to see reality

1. HSR is designed to be HIGH SPEED LONG DISTANCE....zero stops to slow down the train

2. the roadbed requirements, tie requirements , weight of rail (all welded rail) requirement, ballast requirement, drainage requirement, power(most likely electrical) requirements, epa (environmental requirements, warnings at crossing requirements(ie FRA regulations on horns etc)

3. do you even realize the stopping distance of a NORMAL train doing 50mph......a FULL MILE....trains don't stop on a dime....(RESEARCH operation lifesaver....ie crossing accidents)

4. do you understand the requirements for checking the rail on a regular basis (ie MOW (maintenance of way))?

5 for the northeast corridor (ie metronorth)even with running a HSR '''side by side''' with the normal track, where are you going to build a new station, or new line into an existing station....???

6..how many people are you going to UNHOUSE, (ie eminent domain ) to run this new line??

but you keep up the big government liberal mantra

Old 01-13-2015, 09:11 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:

actually most of the '''gas tax'' is stolen to give to the money pit amtrak

Old 01-13-2015, 09:21 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:

Would you be in favor of having the federal government just take care of only the interstate highway system and set the federal gas tax at a rate that covered 100% of it and having that money ONLY go toward interstate highway construction and maintenance? Would you also be in favor of the states having the same gas tax system for all roads within its borders?

I would. If you wouldn't, why not?

Old 01-13-2015, 01:10 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Yes, we want a more totalitarian government in the United States. Or you do.
It is not just HSR, the Chinese are building mega-dams, bridges, roads, power grids, you name it.

Meanwhile what are we doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies