Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 09:13 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,496,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But the ruling on DOMA made it very clear that states are free to establish their own rules for marriage. This will of course encourage someone to re-write Prop 8 using different verbage and then have it rechallenged, and possibly held up the next time by the Supreme Court as ok since the states can decide for themself.
If prop hate were to come up for vote again, it would lose by a landslide. More people in California support equal marriage rights now then in 2008. Prop Hate is gone.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:14 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Basically what DOMA was, was the federal government trying to tell a state what their marriage laws must be, that is what was struck down. States make their own marriage laws, the feds have no right to stick their noses into that.
You don't know what you're talking about.

991 posts, read 1,110,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I pay taxes just like everyone else, and I do not appreciate my money used to kill babies, or to support immorality. Period. It is (was) my constitutional right to live my life as dictated by my faith. That right has been thrown out the window.
So if my (hypothetical) faith means I can discriminate against somebody because of their skin color, that is acceptable? No it is not. I can practice a faith up until it violates the rights of someone else (and the law).

America is not a Christian-only nation.

3,040 posts, read 5,003,702 times
From what I hear about this ruling was, it is still up to the States to decide, and it is not within power the Constitution of the United States to allow the Federal Government to address marriage. There is no provision in the Constitution addressing who can marry who, so this falls back on the 10th amendment leaving the power to address this to the State and the people of the state. All States have an "equal rights under the law" in their respective State Constitutions. The Federal government do not have the power under the Constitution to decide who can marry and who can not marry.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:15 AM

46,967 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But the ruling on DOMA made it very clear that states are free to establish their own rules for marriage. This will of course encourage someone to re-write Prop 8 using different verbage and then have it rechallenged, and possibly held up the next time by the Supreme Court as ok since the states can decide for themself.
You're suggesting a Prop 8 under a different name would pass in California? Too late for that. As I've said countless times, bigots are fair-weather friends. If they don't feel like they're on the winning side, they pretend not to care.

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Why? I'm not a huge fans of gays, but the government has no constitutional authorization to dictate who consenting adults may or may not marry.
That is not that the ruling is about. This ruling is about spending tax money to support gay marriages.

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
If prop hate were to come up for vote again, it would lose by a landslide. More people in California support equal marriage rights now then in 2008. Prop Hate is gone.
You're possibly right. Most of us conservatives have abandoned ship. But having lived there during the vote, it was latinos that tipped the scales.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:16 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,496,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I pay taxes just like everyone else, and I do not appreciate my money used to kill babies, or to support immorality. Period. It is (was) my constitutional right to live my life as dictated by my faith. That right has been thrown out the window.
You have your right to live however you wish, but you do not have the right to force your way of life on others. I pay taxes too, why is it okay that my money goes towards benefits for straight people while I cannot be legally married? I should not have to support your marriage or your way of life. Your freedom of religion is also my freedom from religious persecution.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:16 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
So if my (hypothetical) faith means I can discriminate against somebody because of their skin color, that is acceptable? No it is not. I can practice a faith up until it violates the rights of someone else (and the law).

America is not a Christian-only nation.
People still discriminate in todays day and age, to pretend otherwise is crazy. Muslims discriminate against women for example, but that religion is going nowhere anytime soon.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:17 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Michele Bachmann:

"Marriage was created by the hand of God. No man, not even a Supreme Court, can undo what a holy God has instituted."

Michelle and Marcus Bachman on marriage:

The Partisans - Marcus And Michele Bachmann Explain Marriage - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.