Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 11:23 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times

Advertisements

Presumably, states now must recognize same-sex marriages certified by other state, under the "full faith and credit" clause of the Constitution.

Not sure but I think states will have to (re-)address their tax policies individually.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:23 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
You don't believe in Christ if you support the mockery of His word. You are simply picking and choosing what you feel is appropriate not His word. The prohibitions against same sex behavior are explicit in the bible no ambiguity. The declaration that marriage is holy is also clear. To support something declared an abomination as now being sanctified by God is going against His word.
Well, isn't that special?
Let me guess. You don't shave or cut your beard or eat seafood, right? You consider football an abomination and loudly rail against it. You stand outside churches and pelt the bride with rocks, hoping to strike a fatal blow, because she's not a virgin, right?
No. Like all the other hypocrites, you only rail against the gays, but shatter your God's other rules like plates at a Greek wedding.
OPA!

Old 06-26-2013, 11:24 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,325,082 times
Quote:
Absolutely. The prior issues you mentioned while tragic exceptions are made and we have done quite a bit to look after the poor who will always be among us.

Here we are elevating something deemed an abomination to the level of holy matrimony. We are openly mocking God big difference.
So a country that mocks God's word about murder, greed & caring for one another is A-OK?

I'm not going to argue the word of the Bible. I'm a spiritual person who believes in God the Creator. I do not believe that the Bible is the literal word of God though, as we know that it's been re-written by man. But I won't argue the word of the Bible because it seems as though you claim to believe it's literal (though I wonder if you have an unshaven beard & wear clothes made with mixed fabrics, and if you recognize the hypocrisy?) Point is that we are not a country that basis it's laws on people's interpretations of the Bible. Never have been.
But we are a country that seemingly loves to go to war as long as we stand to profit financially. Ignore the needs of the poor, if it means we can line the pockets of the wealthy. And treat murder like it's no big deal unless it's done in mass amounts or if it's done by a celebrity. Yet, people still think that allowing two gays to marry will incite God's wrath upon us?

Old 06-26-2013, 11:24 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Presumably, states now must recognize same-sex marriages certified by othher state, under the "full faith and credit" clause of the Consttution.
I suspect that will be the next thing SCOTUS has to look at with respect to same sex marriage. However, this is not always the case with marriage and should not be assumed. For example, some states do not recognize marrying first cousins but others do. If you move to a state where that is not recognized, you are, from the state's perspective, not married.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:27 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Only a portion of DOMA was struck down. The situation is still as it always has been: it's entirely a state issue. This court isn't going to force gay marriage on the states that oppose it.
This actually may be a blessing for the LGBT rights movement in disguise. If the Court had made a grand ruling that same sex marriage must be recognized in all 50 states it is possible that what happened in Canada (where it was legalized nation-wide) might happen here: the LGBT community would rest on it's laurels, membership and donations to their organizations would decline, apathy would set in.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:28 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,291,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Why aren't you pushing for a Constitutional amendment banning all Red Lobsters? Or a law that forbids people with tattoos or that have worn two different types of fabric at the same time from getting married?

Those things are also labeled as abominations in the same section of the Bible where you find your justification for hating gays.
I don't hate gays at all, and I am not especially religious. But if you are looking for a Biblical reference, read the story of Sodom and Gomorrah. The New English Bible (Oxford/Cambridge) has a straightforward, easy-to-read translation of the original text (around Genesis 18-19). Has nothing to do with tattoos or fabrics.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:29 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,673,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
[b]

First, there's the issue if a legally gay couple moves to a state where their marriage is not recognized. How does Federal law treat them then? Are they considered married or not? Do benefits confer with the place of where you married or where you live?
It depends on what benefits you're talking about. Evidently Social Security confers with your state of residence, not where you were married. Military benefits, on the other hand, only care about that.

Obama is going to be in the thick of this very soon.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:30 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
This actually may be a blessing for the LGBT rights movement in disguise. If the Court had made a grand ruling that same sex marriage must be recognized in all 50 states it is possible that what happened in Canada (where it was legalized nation-wide) might happen here: the LGBT community would rest on it's laurels, membership and donations to their organizations would decline, apathy would set in.
It's not apathy. Membership and donations are no longer needed, because they're treated like human beings with equal rights.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:31 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Liberals at it takes a village to raise a child but when the village wants to organize institutions that benefit children they cry foul
Same sex couples have children too.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:33 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
It's not apathy. Membership and donations are no longer needed, because they're treated like human beings with equal rights.
Woah i thought you were on the other side of this gay rights debate. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies