Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 07:15 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,034,806 times

Advertisements

Feds: $100,000 to teach teen girls 'condom negotiation' | WashingtonExaminer.com

http://www.kyte.tv/flash/MarbachLoad...456178/1705839

Quote:
The administration is funding a $100,000 study of pregnant and "at-risk" 14-17-year-old girls on probation in Houston, Texas, to determine ways to help them choose safer lifestyles and avoid pregnancy, including better "condom negotiation" tactics.
The National Institutes of Health, part of the Health and Human Services Department, is providing a University of Houston researcher the money because of the lack of study of female teen juveniles in trouble with the law.
The school said the study, "Choices - Teen: A Bundled Risk Reduction Intervention for Juvenile Justice Females," will include 30 at-risk girls, ages 14-17, on intensive probation with the Harris County Juvenile Probation Department.
The goal, said the school, is to determine if intervention programs will help the kids make better life decisions
I guess in todays world, to still think we should encourage and teach teens to NOT have sex, you're considered old fashioned and an idiot. I guess that is what I am to some of you.

Even so, to spend money on condom negotiations rather than telling them "hey, maybe you should just NOT HAVE SEX yet", is disturbing and just a sign of the times. More government waste. To have to teach a female to say no to sex without a condom, using tax payer dollars....... Unreal.

Seriously, focusing on condom negotiations instead of not having sex. They are teenagers. They should be encouraged to not have sex. Hollywood sure as hell doesnt help either. They practically urge them to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 07:17 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,154,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Feds: $100,000 to teach teen girls 'condom negotiation' | WashingtonExaminer.com

http://www.kyte.tv/flash/MarbachLoad...456178/1705839

I guess in todays world, to still think we should encourage and teach teens to NOT have sex, you're considered old fashioned and an idiot. I guess that is what I am to some of you.

Even so, to spend money on condom negotiations rather than telling them "hey, maybe you should just NOT HAVE SEX yet", is disturbing and just a sign of the times. More government waste. To have to teach a female to say no to sex without a condom, using tax payer dollars....... Unreal.

Seriously, focusing on condom negotiations instead of not having sex. They are teenagers. They should be encouraged to not have sex. Hollywood sure as hell doesnt help either. They practically urge them to do it.
Can you explain why you think telling kids not to have sex will be a successful strategy in reducing pregnancies and STDs?

Old 12-01-2012, 07:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Reading comprehension FAIL.

That $100K is for a study. No one is teaching girls anything.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Can you explain why you think telling kids not to have sex will be a successful strategy in reducing pregnancies and STDs?
So you dont tell them that? I think if Hollywood cleaned up its act, including music/tv/movie stars/programs, and we focused more on the consequences of having sex while still a teenager, yes, I think it would help. But we dont do that. Its practically encouraged. I still fault many parents though, who dont put their foot down on what their kids watch and listen to. If parents did more to say no and had a more active role in their kids lives and shut the door on the entertainment industry, maybe theyd get the message and clean up their act.

Why should we have to spend tax dollars to tell them they obvious. And what makes you so sure that will work? A females has always held the power to say no, not without protection.

Focus more on not doing it, and all the things that can happen as a result. But I guess I should expect that. In todays world, that has to be explained to all these liberal women who want others to pay for their birth control and they still dont get it. So this really doesnt shock me.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

How does that change anything? Its still a waste of money. Another stupid tax payer funded study. The list of those is endless.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
How does that change anything? Its still a waste of money. Another stupid tax payer funded study. The list of those is endless.
Why it's going to end teen pregnancy. Every government study has a purpose and goal.
The more PC and drastic the goal the more money they get.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:30 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,154,641 times
Quote:

I'm addressing the very first sentence and the implication contained in the OP's post.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:30 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times
Quote:
More government waste. To have to teach a female to say no to sex without a condom, using tax payer dollars....... Unreal.
But maybe we have a lot of really dumb girls...... and they need lots of coaching like; First you tear off the edge of the package, then you unroll part way, then.....

Old 12-01-2012, 07:31 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times
Quote:

So that's even worse. If the study is $100k, the training program will be $100 million.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
But maybe we have a lot of really dumb girls...... and they need lots of coaching like; First you tear off the edge of the package, then you unroll part way, then.....
If that's the case then we're focusing on the wrong gender
Unless the boys are that helpless.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies