Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 06:57 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,577,717 times

Advertisements

It's remarkable that, of all the many topics addressed in the forum, accompanied with the usual gnashing of teeth and baring of fangs, the one which AFAICT has not been raised yet is possibly the most portentous for the American political system.

This is, in effect, a constitutional amendment: not to the written constitution which of course makes no mention of the filibuster, but certainly to the unwritten part of the American constitution if the term is defined broadly to describe the structure and operation of our political system.

Spoiling for a filibuster fight - The Washington Post

Miss vanden Heuvel makes the case for this constitutional change succinctly, though she's certainly not the first to do so:

Quote:
the Senate’s Republican minority has used the filibuster to demand 60 votes, not just for some legislation, but for all of it. The group has threatened to filibuster 348 times in the six years since Democrats took the majority. In fact, 2009-2010 saw more filibusters than in the 1950s and 60s combined. The result is a non-functioning Senate
Naturally, in this forum where party rages most outrageously, I expect opinion to be shaped almost entirely by partisanship. In my opinion, this should be supported by everyone as a necessary change regardless of party loyalty, because ultimately a dysfunctional legislature is in no one's interest.

(And for those wondering what I'm talking about, a useful primer courtesy of the Brookings Institution.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 01:08 PM

And speaking of the filibuster, in a rare and almost unprecedented maneuver, Sen McConnell filibusters himself. These are trained professionals, kids - don't try this at home!

Quote:
"What we have here is a case of the Republicans here in the Senate once again not taking yes for an answer," Reid said. "This morning the Republican leader asked consent to have a vote on his proposal. Just now I told everyone we're willing to have that vote, an up-or-down vote, and now the Republican leader objects to his own idea, so I guess we have a filibuser of his own bill."
Quote:
"I don't know how the Republicans can say they're not abusing the filibuster after what we saw on the floor today," Durbin told reporters. "It's somewhat comic, but sad as well, that we've reached the point where Sen. McConnell will not even accept a majority vote on his own measure."

Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,445,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
And speaking of the filibuster, in a rare and almost unprecedented maneuver, Sen McConnell filibusters himself. These are trained professionals, kids - don't try this at home!
I may not have much faith in the democrats but I do certainly hope harry reid really does go through with the filibuster reform and rams it down the obstructionists throats. Even though now we have boehner saying if reid pushes it through he will then block every bill that comes to the house.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Even though now we have boehner saying if reid pushes it through he will then block every bill that comes to the house.
Yeah, because threatening to shut down the government over the debt ceiling worked so well, people will definitely rally behind the GOP if they shut down the government over the beloved filibuster, dear to the average American as motherhood and apple pie.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:23 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,906,942 times
Quote:
I may not have much faith in the democrats but I do certainly hope harry reid really does go through with the filibuster reform and rams it down the obstructionists throats. Even though now we have boehner saying if reid pushes it through he will then block every bill that comes to the house.
What a bunch of petulant children we have "running the show" in Washington.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:25 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,445,511 times
Quote:
Yeah, because threatening to shut down the government over the debt ceiling worked so well, people will definitely rally behind the GOP if they shut down the government over the beloved filibuster, dear to the average American as motherhood and apple pie.

Well most people will be angry but I'm sure many on just this board alone will be praising him for being tough, that is at least if they don't successfully replace him. Oh well just another day in the political bubble that is Washington. I really do hope next election cycle we can get rid of some of the D's and R's and perhaps replace them with more I's, G,s and even L's that would be interesting.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I really do hope next election cycle we can get rid of some of the D's and R's and perhaps replace them with more I's, G,s and even L's that would be interesting.
I agree - it would be interesting. Doesn't really solve the filibuster problem, though - they either caucus with one of the old parties (Liebermann, King?) in which case it's meaningless to the filibuster, or they go their own way and make it even harder for one of the old parties to get to 60 in order to do any business.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:47 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,080,649 times
Quote:
I agree - it would be interesting. Doesn't really solve the filibuster problem, though - they either caucus with one of the old parties (Liebermann, King?) in which case it's meaningless to the filibuster, or they go their own way and make it even harder for one of the old parties to get to 60 in order to do any business.
I confused by your post. The only reason that you need sixty votes is to break a filibuster not sure where the caucus part comes in.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I confused by your post. The only reason that you need sixty votes is to break a filibuster not sure where the caucus part comes in.
I think DeadSpeak was saying it would be interesting to have more minor-party or independent members in the senate. I agree in general, but I say it wouldn't help to get fewer filibusters & more straight-up votes.

If independent or minor-party senators caucus with (i.e. vote with) the old parties, they're just as likely to vote with the party as the rest of their caucus, so the equation doesn't change: e.g. 54 Dems and 1 Ind (say, Angus King) are still unable to force cloture, which needs 60 votes.

And if they're genuinely independent, then that's one fewer vote either of the old-party leaders can count on to get to 60 and cloture.

Basically, if filibuster is a problem, then the fewer "reliable" votes available, the harder to get around a filibuster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies