Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 09:39 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times

Advertisements

Well here in NC a RTW state, unemployment is high, average earnings are down around 39K. Having transfered here from NJ with the same co. and the same job, earnings dropped around 8k. Lucky for me I maxed my pension out in NJ. RTW means lower earnings and less job security

Last edited by Boss; 12-08-2012 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 09:57 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
They will pay in 2014.

Rick Snyder is a one term governor. He wasn't that popular before this law past he's even less so now.
Even PPP had Snyder ahead in 2014 in their latest MI poll.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...se_MI_1103.pdf

And that's against a "generic Democrat." Generic candidates usually poll better than real ones.

They also had his approval higher than Obama's in the state and his disapproval much lower than Obama's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Just because they didn't want it in the constitution doesn't mean they wanted right to work.
I haven't seen MI-specific polling on this, but polling generally shows that Americans do support right-to-work laws even in states with high unionization. In Ohio, they didn't like the attempts to ban collective bargaining for all public employees, but they also support RTW.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Politics/...t-to-work.html

Old 12-08-2012, 09:58 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Snyder and the Koch Bros Mich GOP learned from the mistake Kasich made in Ohio. They made sure the new "Right to Work yourself to death for peanuts" bill included some spending. Under MI law, that means it is not subject to a recall vote by the people:

Koch-Funded ALEC Launches Assault on Michigan Unions - Democratic Underground

The GOP- scared to DEATH of the voters!
Good for them. It's what's right.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Well here in NC a RTW state, unemployment is high, average earnings are down around 39K. Having transfered here from NJ with the same co. and the same job, earnings dropped around 8k. Lucky for me I maxed my pension out in NJ. RTW means lower earnings and less job security
Ever consider the difference between the cost of living in NC and the cost of living in NJ?

Old 12-08-2012, 10:08 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Less job security for those who dont really want to do their jobs. Most employers are not going to just fire employees willy nilly! Who wants to train people all the time.
So I guess if you are a slacker type of worker you would have a problem and even then most employers give more than enough opportunities to change that before they fire you.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:27 PM

1,438 posts, read 779,237 times
This is ridiculous. If the 2012 election in Michigan was fair there would be a Democratic controlled legislature as more people vote for Democratic House and Senate candidates. But due to the extreme Republican gerrymandering they kept control of both houses against the will of the people.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:00 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Ever consider the difference between the cost of living in NC and the cost of living in NJ?
Ever consider that with nothing to to worry about (unions) that a large Co. will pay at the lowest rates it can?

Cost of living is less in NC as it concerns Taxes other wise the costs are the same and higher in some cases.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Ever consider that with nothing to to worry about (unions) that a large Co. will pay at the lowest rates it can?
Ever consider that when unemployment is low, workers have more options and can demand more? Ever consider that Democrats support people being forced to contribute to them whether they like it or not?

Quote:
Cost of living is less in NC as it concerns Taxes other wise the costs are the same and higher in some cases.
No. Cost of living in North Carolina is nowhere near as high as in New Jersey even when looking at costs other than taxes. That is a laughable assertion.

Just for kicks, let's look at average home prices:

Home Sales Average Price | Statistic Brain

In 2011, the average home price in New Jersey was $299,000. In North Carolina it was $189,500.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 12-08-2012 at 01:33 PM..

Old 12-08-2012, 01:30 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
Ah. I love the crybaby version of the news.Good for Michigan hopefully it will bring in more business to Michigan.
You mean bring in a few low paying warehouse jobs? That about all bring in Right to Work did for Oklahoma.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:32 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Texas is a RTW state and we're booming. No ones working to death for Peanuts.

If you want any of your jobs back and a healthy Detroit, dump the unions.
But I thought a lot of new jobs in Texas have been low paying ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies