Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 02:05 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,223,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
We all get the same. Even the non members pay some % in dues, just not 100%. There are no free riders in right to work states, atleast in the public arena:

Unions & Union Dues | American Center for Law and Justice ACLJ
So you pay dues even being a non union worker, sounds the same as non right to work states, so if those two things are the same, then I guess that isn't the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 02:08 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,467,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So you pay dues even being a non union worker, sounds the same as non right to work states, so if those two things are the same, then I guess that isn't the difference.
There is a difference. In a "non" right to work state you MUST pay 100% of the dues or not work there. There is a choice for employees in RTW states, if they want to go that route. This really isn't such a big deal, I don't see why people wouldn't just pay the extra 20% and get all the member only benefits too. I hate my union, they don't do jack for us, but I still remain a full member because I'd be paying 80% anyway. Some people see it differently though. It's the choice that people like.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
There is a difference. In a "non" right to work state you MUST pay 100% of the dues or not work there. There is a choice for employees in RTW states, if they want to go that route. This really isn't such a big deal, I don't see why people wouldn't just pay the extra 20% and get all the member only benefits too. I hate my union, they don't do jack for us, but I still remain a full member because I'd be paying 80% anyway. Some people see it differently though. It's the choice that people like.
So you have a choice to not pay that 80% yet you pay it even though they don't do jack for you, yet you are not a union member therefore they really don't need to do much for you if you are not an actual member.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:32 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,779,784 times
If im going to buy representation from someone I want to choose who that someotne might be. Compulsory union membership creates a situation where the union has captfured 100% of the market that represents labor. That is a monopoly and unconstitutional.

In the currentl market the union has no obligation to the worker and every obligation to the politician. i want no part of a corrupt arrangement made to hold me down as a worker.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
If im going to buy representation from someone I want to choose who that someotne might be. Compulsory union membership creates a situation where the union has captfured 100% of the market that represents labor. That is a monopoly and unconstitutional.

In the currentl market the union has no obligation to the worker and every obligation to the politician. i want no part of a corrupt arrangement made to hold me down as a worker.
Union workers make more money than non-union workers, how are they holding you down?

Old 12-11-2012, 02:47 PM

Average wages are higher in non union states than in union states. How about we "share the wealth".

I lived in Michigan, the Upper penninsula where economies are poor and good jobs hard to come by. I spent most of my working career resenting the fact that as a machinist in Escanaba i was making half what a machinist made in Saginaw.

A person working an assembly line in the UAW owns a sprawling executive on a lake, two brand spanking new automobiles, a hunting camp on 40 acres in my back yard in the Up where he the take 3 vacations a year to Hunt, snowmobile and fish the walley circuit?

Meanwhile im a teamster doing the same exact job, making $14 an hour can barley support a family own a 100 YO house in town and drive a rusty beater. Its OK though because I get to go down to the park and watch the weigh in at the wall ey championship whene the pig from down state wins another $1000.00 purse because hes spoiled and over paid

You know not what TF you are talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Union workers make more money than non-union workers, how are they holding you down?

Old 12-11-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Average wages are higher in non union states than in union states. How about we "share the wealth".

I lived in Michigan, the Upper penninsula where economies are poor and good jobs hard to come by. I spent most of my working career resenting the fact that as a machinist in Escanaba i was making half what a machinist made in Saginaw.

A person working an assembly line in the UAW owns a sprawling executive on a lake, two brand spanking new automobiles, a hunting camp on 40 acres in my back yard in the Up where he the take 3 vacations a year to Hunt, snowmobile and fish the walley circuit?

Meanwhile im a teamster doing the same exact job, making $14 an hour can barley support a family own a 100 YO house in town and drive a rusty beater. Its OK though because I get to go down to the park and watch the weigh in at the wall ey championship whene the pig from down state wins another $1000.00 purse because hes spoiled and over paid

You know not what TF you are talking about
Strange apparently facts disagree with your statement.
Quote:
Wages in right-to-work states are 3.2% lower than those in non-RTW states, after controlling for a full complement of individual demographic and socioeconomic variables as well as state macroeconomic indicators. Using the average wage in non-RTW states as the base ($22.11), the average full-time, full-year worker in an RTW state makes about $1,500 less annually than a similar worker in a non-RTW state.
Right-to-work law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-11-2012, 03:01 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,568,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...everyone should have the right to join a union if they choose.....
...everyone should have the right to not join a union if they choose...
...too complicated?
I can't imagine being in a union shop and NOT joining the union. Life would be miserable there.

And besides, if you don't join the union, you still pay negotiating fees to the union equal to what you would have paid in union dues...might as well join.

This is the tie breaker for me. I had decided to get out of teaching but this year is going great and I was thinking about staying...Now that I have RTW wages to look forward to for what is proving to be the hardest job I've ever done in my life, I'll be getting out of teaching. I can't afford to live on what teachers live on in RTW states....sadly, our kids can't afford the education their kids get either.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:07 PM

The plus side of RTW states is that the RTW states in blue are all the states I would never live in anyway because the pay is often times much lower and the living conditions are typically less than ideal. Plus most of those states are muggy as hell and suck in the summer time.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:11 PM

You might want to shade in blue Wisconsin and michigan as right to work states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies