Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2012, 10:16 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Since Adam Lanza ended up shooting his own mother in the face and then massacred innocent little children, it's pretty evident that mental illness is the issue here. It's not as though a sane person would have done this.

Almost surely Adam Lanza was niot a nice sweet well-behaved boy who just one day decided to shoot his mother in the face. I would bet she lived in terror of him at least at times.
We do not know that. The article talks about a 13 yr old kid who has a history of violent behaviour. Did Adam Lanza have such history, or was he well behaved until Friday? His classmates decribe him as a nice, shy kid. His father said he could not believe his son did it, which indicates there were no warning signs. If he had said "this does just a matter of time", then I'd say his story is similar to the one in the article.

When these things happen people who know the killer almost always say "I can't believe he did it, he was such a nice guy". People have the ability to hide the anger and sick/disturbing thoughts from others, while the violent ones are locked up. Being mentally ill is not a crime, and unless you display violent behaviour, then the society has no right to lock you up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

9,437 posts, read 7,372,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Bullcrap. He already stuck his fat head in hours after this happened. Why did he even do that? I didn't see him making a national address after those folks were shot up in portland. I guess he didn't care about them as much or maybe it was because he didn't see that as the crisis he really needed. They got no business running around cordoning off the entire little town so Obama can make his appearance and then leave. If he really cares he can go up there when all the funerals are over and meet the families in private. I doubt that will happen. Instead a media circus will ensue and you'll probably be lapping it up like the rest of his swooning masses salivating and screaming at the TV that we gotta get dem guns.
Apparently the body count wasn't high enough for the left after the Oregon shooting.

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
It is a proven fact that an armed citizen is a safer citizen.
This is what scares the left...........

" "There is this feeling that could have been me. It makes it so much more frightening."

Like you say an armed citizen is safer and no gun hating lefty worth their salt believes in having a gun so the only answer they can come up with is well we need to take everybody's guns so that won't happen to me. That is how they rationalize this. They don't realize evil people will find a way to kill them anyway so in reality they are making everyone less safe. They don't care though because that makes THEM feel safe. That is all that matters.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:17 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,809,082 times
We have labeled evil with a mental illness. Your son is evil and needs to be put in a straight jacket. If my son turns out to be evil I will do the right thing.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:17 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,506,565 times
Quote:
Yes hit yourself in the head. That may cure what is wrong with you but I doubt it.
You have no real response as expected.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:19 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,506,565 times
Quote:
This is what scares the left...........

" "There is this feeling that could have been me. It makes it so much more frightening."

Like you say an armed citizen is safer and no gun hating lefty worth their salt believes in having a gun so the only answer they can come up with is well we need to take everybody's guns so that won't happen to me. That is how they rationalize this. They don't realize evil people will find a way to kill them anyway so in reality they are making everyone less safe. They don't care though because that makes THEM feel safe. That is all that matters.
Nancy Lanza was an "armed citizen" who was killed with her own "arms"...More guns make us all less safe.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:20 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
It's not just the money issue. It can take months to get in to see a psychiatrist, even longer for specialized services like child psychiatry.
And yet the mother kept her guns where he could get at them.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:21 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,950,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So you just want to bring back the insane asylums and keep harmless people locked up?

I think Reagan was completely right to shut that system down. I don't think the answer is that someone can report that someone is acting a bit odd and the men in white jackets show up to haul him away.

It should be something else. A better way of dealing with mental illness, not the 1800s way. Locking up people who have never hurt anyone isn't what most of us want I would hope. Those "funny farms" were terrible places for the inmates.
I repped you for admitting it was Ronald Reagan who let the mentally ill out of mental hospitals, but I completely disagree with you in thinking that was the right thing to do. "The 1800' way" is not how it works today, and it certainly was not that bad when Reagan was in office. My wife works in these hospitals as a psychologist... not kidding. Things are far different today and their rights are not infringed upon. There are no lobotomies. ECT is done completely differently today and very rare. I've been to work with her and these mental health services are already stretched to the max. The worst part is that I see people ON THE OUTSIDE, walking the streets who are so obviously mentally ill that all it would take is a small disagreement to end in murder.

We really need to reverse the damage that Reagan has done. This recent shooting is proof of it.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:22 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,735,309 times
well i guess if one had any logic, one would not keep 6 guns in a house with a mentally disturbed nut job kid..

common sense is becoming a rare trait nowdays

Old 12-16-2012, 10:22 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
It is a proven fact that an armed citizen is a safer citizen.
Well considering that the U.S. has the highest per capita rate of gun ownership of any developed nation, hell more than most undeveloped ones as well (88.8 per 100) you'd think it would be the safest goddamned place on the planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies