Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you predict that federal laws pertaining to semi-automatic handgun ownership will become more str
Yes, but I'm personally opposed to new restrictions. 34 21.94%
Yes, and I'm personally in favor of new restrictions. 43 27.74%
No, I don't believe that new restrictions will be actually be enacted--I don't support gun control. 42 27.10%
No, and it's shameful that new restrictions won't be enacted--I'm in favor of more gun control. 36 23.23%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 05:38 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Constitution of the USA says that Americans have a right to bear arms. That means all weapons of all types.

Every gun control law in existence could easily be struck down by the SCOTUS because all of them interfere with the Constitutional rights of American citizens. If you pass a four week waiting period law, you are interfering with their rights. If you ban assault weapons, you are violating their rights. There are very few things you can do in terms of "gun control" that does not constitute a violation of Constitutional rights. If you disagree, please offer me an example of a gun control law that cannot be construed as a violation of Constitutional rights.

I don't think the average person should own an AK-47 or .50 caliber machine gun, but it's not up to me. The 2nd Amendment is in place and will remain in place until 38 states vote for repealing it. I'm saying to stop obsessing about impossible or unrealistic solutions and do the best we can figuring what we actually can do.
Sure own any gun you want, just tax the hell out of munitions. Problem solved and no 2nd amendment rights are violated. People are allowed to own, just make it so they can't afford to fire 1000 bullets. No one needs 1000 bullets for "protection".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 05:39 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Yep. All you need to know is 9-11 to protect yourself. See how good that worked out today. The cops all showed up in time to collect the bodies like they usually do.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:40 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
With rights come responsibility.

We have a problem in this country.....yes....too many crazy people have guns.

That being said, EVERY school principle or VP should be a trained gun handler. It should be a requirement for the job. Yearly testing and training should be mandatory. as well as mental evaluations.

This will not end the problem, but will stem the flow.

Greater gun restrictions are not the answer.
Seriously... if we all have to live something like a post-apocalyptic Mad Max lifestyle here and arm ourselves to the teeth just to get our children through a school day... do you not realize that something is drastically wrong? It seems that the conservative response is just that everyone should walk the streets armed like they're in a war zone. This is madness.

That can't be the extent of the answer. Do you realize that other nations - even ones that allow gun ownership - do not live like this?

Old 12-14-2012, 05:43 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
20 kids dead.

If you can't figure out the difference...

If guns aren't the problem when pray tell are gun owners and the NRA going to suggest a workable solution?
The NRA has... These guns were purchased by the Kids mother. This is a illegal straw man buy.... and in an area of notable Gun Control.......

This is a huge anti gun lose situation since all the rules, regs and laws failed to save anyone..

It isn't about the gun, it is about a failed society and it's failed policy, the rejection of religion, ethics, morals and honor.

This is exactly what the PC wanted and will be more of what the PC will get for their meddling in humanity.

I should think you for one would know this.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:43 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,594,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
With rights come responsibility.

We have a problem in this country.....yes....too many crazy people have guns.

That being said, EVERY school principle or VP should be a trained gun handler. It should be a requirement for the job. Yearly testing and training should be mandatory. as well as mental evaluations.

This will not end the problem, but will stem the flow.

Greater gun restrictions are not the answer.

I do believe their shoulod be some form of protection(if it ever came to it)at a school. Of course you know that will never happen.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:45 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,594,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
This is a bigger problem than guns IMO.

How about..not even a ban....a case study that examines the psychological effects of what playing COD 20 hours a day...days on end..isolated in your house can do to a person.

I oppose bans on restrictions on guns. Or on these games. We can't stop what we do or how we live because of random and rare(albeit extremely tragic)circumstances.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:46 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Jeezus was for guns.

Jesus told his disciples to arm themselves with the weapons of the day, he likely would be for guns.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:50 PM

527 posts, read 920,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
You could start by realizing that it isn't guns that's the problem but people. "perfectly good people" do not go out and shoot up school yards. You, and people like you, fixate on the tool used rather than the person who did it. Did you cry to have trucks or fertilizer banned after the OKC bombing? Ban box cutters after 9/11? Why not? Because you know that it was the people who committed the act. And yet when a gun is involved people like you go completely blind and start raving about guns.
I guess there is no convincing some people of how bad some logic are.

These perfectly good people do make mistakes in a moment of madness. The lawyers then plead insanity defense. So if you think most of these cases are bad people to begin with then you are mistaken.

You loose the argument the moment you compare trucks,box cutters or fertilizers to guns.

How many people have died from box cutters or fertilizers?

Gun control discussions don't stem from one incident .. But a constant barrage of such incidents.

I am not saying take away guns or make it illegal... But enforce strict gn laws so tha it becomes difficult to get guns for everybody..

Old 12-14-2012, 05:51 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Should we take guns away from all law-abiding citizens, in case one whacko gets one?
YES!
This is no longer a case of "one whacko".... this is now a case of too many "whackos" with guns and the problem is that these killers are quite normal "law-abiding citizens" until they kill innocent people.
YES we should take guns away from everyone............. Guns are not needed or wanted in today's society. Gun laws should be put into place to stop anyone getting guns and any criminals who have guns can be dealt with by the police.
ANYONE in possession of a lethal weapon should be arrested on sight.
If anyone needs a gun eg farmer or someone who lives where they need to hunt to survive then each case should be looked at on its own merrit............... NO ONE in a town or city needs or should have a gun.......... simple.
So stay in the UK with people who think like you. Guns clearly ARE wanted in todays society. Most households have guns and gun sales are going up all the time. If guns aren't needed or wanted why do the democrats go silent on the topic anytime there is an election? Because they know the people DO want guns and won't vote for them if they show their true colors.

ANYONE in possession of a DNC registration card or Obama bumper sticker should be arrested and locked up for mental evaluation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies