Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you predict that federal laws pertaining to semi-automatic handgun ownership will become more str
Yes, but I'm personally opposed to new restrictions. 34 21.94%
Yes, and I'm personally in favor of new restrictions. 43 27.74%
No, I don't believe that new restrictions will be actually be enacted--I don't support gun control. 42 27.10%
No, and it's shameful that new restrictions won't be enacted--I'm in favor of more gun control. 36 23.23%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 04:49 PM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
In the days/weeks/months to come, do you believe that profound alterations will be made to existing federal laws pertaining to semi-automatic handgun ownership?
None of the above.

Idiots and the culture created by liberal politics (single parent families, no religion, violence in the media, celebration of violent "black culture", poverty created by liberal policy {see Detroit}) creates violence.

Totalitarians take away weapons (Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, Castro), thus eliminating the power of the people to rise against an oppressive government.

Keep in mind that Obama embraces the beliefs of Sol Illinisky (never lose the opportunity to exploit a crisis for your benefit) and attempt to limit liberty as a result of tragedy. Do not be fooled by totalitarians, as they have killed hundreds of millions in the name of "saving the people".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 04:50 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
This one may be a game changer. Nearly 80% of Americans supported more gun control after the theater shooting. Most of us have reached the conclusion that this gun craziness has gone too far. This one will make the sentiment much more solid.

I think that a ban on semi-autos would save lives. I own three semi-auto handguns myself, though, so I do have mixed feelings on the matter. I could make do with a revolver though.

8,091 posts, read 5,915,077 times
Default How about we ban first person shooter games like Call of Duty???

This is a bigger problem than guns IMO.

How about..not even a ban....a case study that examines the psychological effects of what playing COD 20 hours a day...days on end..isolated in your house can do to a person.

1,229 posts, read 1,148,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So take away the guns and your problem is solved ?
Then we may see stories like the one from China.
Then it's take away the knives ?

If a person is driven by revenge they will find a weapon and hurt/kill people.
China has a 1 in 100000 murder rate, and it has 5 times the population, America has a 4.5 in 100000 murder rate, so you should stop using China as an example, it make you look like your from Texass, Wait you are from Texass.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:51 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,794,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
The fact is there is no security at our schools. This has always been that way and there is less security today than before due to the gun free zone school concept. There is also no effective sources of help for people that have relatives or friends or neighbors with emotional or mental problems.
This horrible incident might change that, if kids can't be safe in schools then the schools need security. We provide security all over the world its time to protect our innocent children.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:52 PM

84 posts, read 181,080 times
Quote:
So take away the guns and your problem is solved ?
Then we may see stories like the one from China.
Then it's take away the knives ?

If a person is driven by revenge they will find a weapon and hurt/kill people.

Those children were wounded in this attack. The last knife attack in China KILLED 20 children and wounded 50 others.
Yes, if we take the guns away, we will still see people getting killed. What we will not see is 27 children shot in school at the ripe old age of 3.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:54 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
It probably does the same thing that playing Madden or Mario does to one who sits and plays it twenty hours a day. If you do the same thing, anything, over and over for twenty hours a day I would think you would go batsheet crazy.

9,701 posts, read 5,117,283 times
Quote:
Chinese man on stabbing spree hurts 22 kids
The dreaded attacks on school children returned to haunt China on Thursday after 22 of them were injured besides an 85-year-old woman after a "mentally deranged" man, armed with a knife, went on a slashing spree at a primary school.
China has been experiencing the school attacks in different places for some time. Dubbed as social revenge attacks by frustrated people marginalised by China's rapid development in recent years, the attackers mainly targeted school children to make maximum impact.
But none of them died. You can't stop crazy, but you can limit the damage.

3,490 posts, read 3,794,529 times
Quote:
The gun was the weapon, not the problem.
Take away the guns will not solve your problem because other weapons will be used instead.

Taking away guns will not solve the problem of mental instability and mass fatalities.

People seeking "social revenge", as the article below aptly puts it will just use different weapons to achieve the same impact.

Chinese man on stabbing spree hurts 22 kids
The dreaded attacks on school children returned to haunt China on Thursday after 22 of them were injured besides an 85-year-old woman after a "mentally deranged" man, armed with a knife, went on a slashing spree at a primary school.
China has been experiencing the school attacks in different places for some time. Dubbed as social revenge attacks by frustrated people marginalised by China's rapid development in recent years, the attackers mainly targeted school children to make maximum impact.
We are supposed to be better than China on human rights, I guess we're not.

4,697 posts, read 6,451,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
If you take out suicide, knives are used almost as much as guns to commit homicide. I seem to recall the ratio is 1.2 to 1 guns to knives.

The event today was tragic and senseless and is heartbreaking. I can't fathom what these parents are facing.
See: Bureau of Justice Statistics Homicide Trends in the United States: Trends in homicides by weapon type table
For 2005, weapons used in homicides:

handgun 8,478
other gun 2,868
knife 2,147
blunt object 671
other 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The emotional response is "gun control". The logical response requires patience and critical thinking. The root cause is more systemic than guns.
Yes, that's the logical response.

But it was also the logical response in July of this year, when 12 people were killed and 58 were wounded in a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado.

It was the logical response in September of last year, when 12 people were shot - 5 fatally - in an IHOP in Carson City, Nevada.

It was the logical response in November of 2009, when 13 people were killed and 29 were wounding at Fort Hood in Texas.

It was the logical response in February of 2008, when 6 people were killed and 21 were wounded at Northern Illinois University.

It was the logical response in April of 2007, when 32 people were killed and 24 were wounded at Virginia Tech.

And on, and on, and on. Over the years, that's a lot of patience, and no apparent critical thinking. If nothing changed after Virginia Tech, nothing's going to change after today.

There is a saying that the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. With mass killings by gun, we do the same thing over and over again. We express our deep sorrow and sympathy, we vow to punish the guilty (if still alive), we recite the asinine "guns don't kill people, people kill people" mantra, we amuse ourselves with calls for gun control, and then we move on to other concerns.

Until there is a sufficient number of people in this country who care more for the living than for the yet-to-be-born, the slaughter will continue, varying only in the numbers killed and wounded.

People kill people. Guns make it much easier to kill lots more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies