Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 06:37 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,784,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No YOU look, by wearing your badge, my life would be in danger. I don't introduce myself "Hi, I'm a lesbian"
But I also don't hide the fact that I am.
I live in rural Mississippi. Sticking my sexuality on my arm would target me for any knuckle dragger that wants to take pot shots.

There are also many gays and lesbians who are raped, beat, murdered, and more.

You seem to be under the assumption that I am not assaulted every day on these forums by people who know nothing about me, except that I am a lesbian. Do you think it would be any different in real life?

Go do some research on how homosexuals are treated in the real world. Then get back to me on who is being ridiculous.

LGBT murders up in 2010 :: EDGE Boston
Report: Highest number of anti-LGBT murders recorded in 2011 – LGBTQ Nation
LGBT hate crimes: Violent crimes against gay, transgender people rise 13% - Los Angeles Times
http://www.avp.org/documents/NCAVPHa...finaledits.pdf
The Price of Hate: Violence Against LGBT People Around the World

Would you like more? That was only on the first search page.
Being minority has many disadvantages. You can try to eliminate discrimination, and you should do that. But you cannot change the fact that you are minority and treated differently here and there.
Go ask any black/Asian/Hispanic person, you will understand it too.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:38 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,513,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You did LifeCycle? My old roommate does that every year... perhaps you know him?

And yes, it is ridiculous to think you'll be raped by every homosexual who comes near you. My very straight brother had a gay roommate in high school (boarding school), and that same young man also lived with us every summer. We now call him our brother, and I'm 110% sure my real brother never worried about sleeping next to him. I also never worried about my bisexual (female) roommate, nor did our straight male roommate worry about the gay man who also shared the house. We literally covered the spectrum, even had a "pansexual" renting that 3rd bedroom for a while! None of us ended up having sex, at least not that I'm aware of, and we all co-existed peacefully for the most part.
Ha ha, yes I did the bike ride last June, with a bike team from Humboldt county called the Foggy Bottoms of which we were a mix of gay men, straight men and straight women. Ask your friend if he remembers the guy tha held the door open in Salinas for about 1000 or more very cold and wet bicyclists. We all, gay, straight, women and men all wore red dresses on day five of the bike ride. We rode 42 miles that day in our red dresses. It was a hoot. We all got along great, all of us. I had thought that I might have to fight gay men off of me during the ride, but everyone was polite and discrete, but I did get hit on on day five, by gay men and a few women, one of them a lesbian who thought I looked hot in my red dress. It was scary doing the bike ride, but not because of all the gay men or straight men, but to think I could ride my bike over seven days doing 80 to 100 miles each day. By day seven, we were all family in a bubble of love sharing the same experience together. There were no fights, no rapes to speak of. But of course we were all dead tired each night. I shared a tent with a young gay man, we did not have sex, we did not expect to have sex and we did not worry about it. One of the team members who is straight shared a tent with one who is gay. They had no problem doing so. We were all there for the same cause and we all raised $12.6 million dollars for the charity. Most amazing thing that I have done in my life. Believe me, I was not attractive in my red sequin dress, I looked like a straight dude in a womans dress. Ladies, I do not know how you deal with these tight dresses and I do not plan on wearing one again. That thing just kept riding up while I rode my bike. But it was a fun day with everyone being self conscious at the start, but once we all headed off, we were all the same people riding for the same reason.

Last edited by kris; 01-09-2014 at 04:55 PM..

Old 12-15-2012, 06:38 PM

30,429 posts, read 52,061,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
The college I attended had no gender-based bathrooms. I brushes and shat and shaved and showered with men and women alike.
Good point... most co-ed college dorms have co-ed bathrooms too, and it doesn't seem to bother anyone much. We also have non-gender-specific bathrooms at work, and again it hasn't been a problem yet.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:39 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,128,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Yes. Why wouldn't it be?
Why would it be? Most humans are lactose intolerant, and it serves (or at least did in early human) an important biological role.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:39 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,784,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
"You Americans" - how do you even know where I was born, or where I have lived and/or traveled in my lifetime?

I get what you're saying just fine, but you were implying "there were no gay people." If you had phrased it differently, maybe we wouldn't be arguing over it.
That's your problem. I never said there were no gay people.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:40 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,253,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Well, I wouldn't go that far. But I do have a certain amount of disdain for overt sexuality.

I think I read that something like 60% of men will cheat on their wives. It is a number that bothers me a lot.

As I said before, I'm a very modest person. And I do wish others were more like me.

The world is really unraveling to a large extent. The number of children born to single parents is exploding. You have an explosion of mental illness, especially depression. And we pretend that nothing has caused the problems we are having, and so we pretend that nothing can be done.

I'm really a "fixer". I've always been obsessed with trying to fix things. And when I look at the world, I realize it has problems, and I want to fix them. I don't do it out of malice, but rather, compassion.

As for female "emancipation". The reality is that, no one has benefited from female emancipation. Not even women, who are less happy now than 50 years ago. Children aren't better off. Society isn't better off.

That doesn't mean that women shouldn't have rights. I'm just saying, there is no perfect. We have to work within the practical limitations of reality.

Well, if 99% of not the right number. You tell me, what percentage of homosexuals wouldn't have it any other way?

Moreover, tell me what percentage of pregnant women, wants to have a homosexual child.
What do homosexuals have to do with men cheating on their wives, and out of wedlock childbirth?

Go fix your self, I'm just fine, and don't need you or anyone else to "fix" me.

You sound like someone who hates that women have equal standing in this country. That is YOUR problem, go fix it. But I don't think you are going to get many women to agree.
The practical limitations of reality are that if you can't handle yourself around other people, maybe YOU shuold stay away from other people.

As for the 99% stat, YOU made that argument, it is up to you to back up YOUR claim.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:41 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,722,234 times
The good news is that the anti-gay bigots are clearly in the minority now. Americans are too-well educated to buy into their nonsense. They've lost.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:42 PM

30,429 posts, read 52,061,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Ha ha, yes I did the bike ride last June, with a bike team from Humboldt county called the Foggy Bottoms of which we were a mix of gay men, straight men and straight women. Ask your friend if he remembers the guy tha held the door open in Salinas for about 1000 or more very cold and wet bicyclists. We all, gay, straight, women and men all wore red dresses on day five of the bike ride. We rode 42 miles that day in our red dresses. It was a hoot. We all got along great, all of us. I had thought that I might have to fight gay men off of me during the ride, but everyone was polite and discrete, but I did get hit on on day five, by gay men and a few women, one of them a lesbian who thought I looked hot in my red dress. It was scary doing the bike ride, but not because of all the gay men or straight men, but to think I could ride my bike over seven days doing 80 to 100 miles each day. By day seven, we were all family in a bubble of love sharing the same experience together. There were no fights, no rapes to speak of. But of course we were all dead tired each night. I shared a tent with a young gay man, we did not have sex, we did not expect to have sex and we did not worry about it. One of the team members who is straight shared a tent with one who is gay. They had no problem doing so. We were all there for the same cause and we all raised $12.6 million dollars for the charity. Most amazing thing that I have done in my life. Believe me, I was not attractive in my red sequin dress, I looked like a straight dude in a womans dress. Ladies, I do not know how you deal with these tight dresses and I do not plan on wearing one again. That thing just kept riding up while I rode my bike. But it was a fun day with everyone being self conscious at the start, but once we all headed off, we were all the same people riding for the same reason.
Haha, that's awesome!

I'm not really friends with him anymore (we had a falling out before he moved), but I did help him prepare for the 2009 ride... and he wore a FABULOUS red sequined dress, which he made himself out of an old shirt of mine. He is actually a fashion designer, so of course it had to be more than just "doable." His name is David, btw, and he's a tall & thin black man in his mid-40s. I know lots of people did the ride, but maybe you two crossed paths - small world, eh? For the record, I don't understand how (other) women do the tight dresses & heels either! I'm more of a jeans and clogs kinda girl myself.

Maybe I'll send you his photo from Lifecycle 2009 later, but here's another picture I took the day they left from SF:

Old 12-15-2012, 06:42 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,351,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I thought everyone can see this...
The posters were made in 1960s and people did not know about homosexuality. So these posters were considered normal and had nothing to do with gay.
What makes you think we did not know about homosexuality back in the 60s??

Old 12-15-2012, 06:43 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,253,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Being minority has many disadvantages. You can try to eliminate discrimination, and you should do that. But you cannot change the fact that you are minority and treated differently here and there.
Go ask any black/Asian/Hispanic person, you will understand it too.
Yeah, and making all homosexuals wear an identification badge would really help to reduce the violent crimes against LGBT people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies