Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you hate Adam Lanza?
Yes, he's evil and I hope he's burning in Hell 25 28.09%
I feel nothing for him 48 53.93%
I feel very sorry for him and he must have been in a lot of pain 16 17.98%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 11:28 AM

10,753 posts, read 23,828,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I don't really like the word psychopath, it implies a person is irredeemably and completely evil, which is just as absurd as saying a person is perfectly good. Adam Lanza and people who have done comparably ugly things are still human, as difficult as it is to admit it.
Fair enough, though it does not invalidate my point. Perhaps mentally disturbed individuals or whatever you may call them, nonetheless mental health has been completely ignored. For years I've believed that our society (and patriarchy) never teaches boys how to process anger, disappointment, rage, etc. We teach them that being emotional is weak (or even worse yet, "gay!") and that they're supposed to buck up to be a man. Maybe the key to unlocking some of this is to look at the role of men in our culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 11:28 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
I voted yes, even though I think hell is a myth. In any case, I hope his death was horribly painful. It makes me want to believe in hell, someone that commits these kinds of acts should burn and suffer forever.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:30 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
I feel bad for him AND his victims.

Fortunately, most of us will never understand, or feel, what drove this person into killing innocent people.

It's not a liberal or conservative issue, democrat or republican issue.

The issue is what happened to this person, and why? What can be done to prevent this in the future?

Should school administrators be armed to prevent this from happening? Would have prevented a LOT of deaths had someone in the office popped the shooter between the horns.

Whatever the reason or cause, this wasn't going to be prevented by taking away guns. There is always knives, explosives, cars, etc. There are too many ways for something like this to happen, for simply saying "Thou shalt not own guns.", to be effective. Just because someone cannot access a gun, doesn't mean they are going to give up the chance to kill people.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:32 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
So let me get this straight..liberals hate guns, but they dont hate the person that killed 20 children. This is why nobody takes these fruitcakes seriously
yeah but your party lost the election, soooooooo.....

Old 12-15-2012, 11:33 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
He was evil. I think there's a misconception that a "personality disorder" somehow excuses someone from all wrong doing, and that he could not distinguish between right and wrong. He was said to be a goth -- which is someone very often obsessed with evil and darkness. No one forces someone to choose the darkside, they choose it.
"Mental illness" isn't an excuse for the slaughter of innocent people, any more than "poverty" is or a "bad childhood". This "person" committed a heinous crime, had he survived the attack I would hope he would have been executed... preferably painfully.

Your post does bring up a good point...what are we going to address this kind of person? Do we mandate very rigorous mental health screening on the "goth", "emo", "fake vampire" and "jock" kids in schools? Do we institutionalize those identified as being "off" and a possible threat to society? Lock them up where they can't hurt anyone?

Old 12-15-2012, 11:45 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Not at all.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:48 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,037,907 times
Judging from the little we know, it appears he was oviously a very troubled, odd, strange individual. I hate what he did, but I dont know if I hate him. I feel he had issues that werent dealt with, emotionally/psychologically. Part of me if I seperate the anger felt about those innocent people/kids who died, does feel sorry for him.

But he did willingly commit this dispicable, horryfying act. No excuse to do so, no matter what. But I dunno, we will obviously learn more soon about this young man and it appears they think they have info on motive and what not.

I do wonder if he was on meds. Off meds when he shouldve been on. These type of acts dont seem to have happened decades and decades ago, even though guns were available then. I think there is a comibination of society downfalls, medications (too many people seem medicated today), mental/pyschological issues that contribute to why these acts seem to occur so often now when they didnt years ago.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:06 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,777,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post

I do wonder if he was on meds. Off meds when he shouldve been on. These type of acts dont seem to have happened decades and decades ago, even though guns were available then. I think there is a comibination of society downfalls, medications (too many people seem medicated today), mental/pyschological issues that contribute to why these acts seem to occur so often now when they didnt years ago.
What about this case?

Brenda Ann Spencer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-15-2012, 12:09 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
No, I don't hate this wretch. I feel sorry for everyone. Once hate becomes part of your being..Evil has won...I don't like to lose to evil. In fact I refuse to submit to evil.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:14 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
So let me get this straight..liberals hate guns, but they dont hate the person that killed 20 children. This is why nobody takes these fruitcakes seriously
Seriously? How can you possibly "hate" someone personally that you do NOT KNOW?

You can hate what they did but you cannot possibly hate anyone that you do not personally know since you have no emotional attachment to them in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies