Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 07:08 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,152 times

Advertisements

Ouch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 07:12 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,287,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, basicaly what I have heard form the anti gun people is that....

Kennesaw, is a one time thing, even though the crime rate is a much as 85% lower than any other county in GA.

Or...

Kennesaw never had a high crime rate....but it's stayede just about flat for the last 20+ years.....

Or....

Kennesaw don't have a lot of people, so the crime rate is always low....(even though there are 100+ town in Georgia with less people).

And.....

No idea if guns did this or not....even though the crime rate has been pretty flat over the last 20+ years....guns could not be the reason....

Pretty sad you anti gun people....
Your anti freedom.

You need big gubiment to dictate to you to buy guns. Why can't you do it on your own, why do you need the government to force Americans to do things??

Old 12-16-2012, 07:15 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyspameamil View Post
Of course not every one owns a gun just like not everyone follows the speed limit. Exempt from owning the gun are those with mental or physical disability, those with felonies, and those that it is against their beliefs/religion. BUT the gun ownership rate there is significantly higher than most places.

And I don't see how not knowing Kennesaw had a gun law before todays changes the conversation?
It doesn't change the conversation. It is just interesting to me that inconspicuous places suddenly become the talk of the town. It happens all the time.

Anyway, you're not going to put in jail or be prosecuted if you do not follow that law. I don't know about Kennesaw's gun statistics, but going by the law, I figure it is higher than most places. I agree. The city is a sleepy suburb of Atlanta and not much different than its neighbors. Guns in homes are a deterrent, absolutely, but the reality is there are still crazy people out there with weapons. I feel that is the root of this issue.

I, in no way, am for a weapons ban.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:21 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,366,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Forget it, folks. It's the one little itty bitty place they can point to, and they're gonna stick with their Kennesaw meme until someone pries the guns from their cold, dead hands.
You wish it was on itty bitty place. Ok queenie, so why does Boise have 1/10th the murder rate of Chicago? 200,000 not a large enough population? How about Seattle, where anyone not a criminal can buy a gun, it has 1/5th the murder rate of Chicago and 1/10th the rate of Detroit? Or is 600,000 not a large enough city for you? At what population point do guns suddenly become the problem?

Old 12-16-2012, 07:28 PM

117 posts, read 160,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
It doesn't change the conversation. It is just interesting to me that inconspicuous places suddenly become the talk of the town. It happens all the time.

Anyway, you're not going to put in jail or be prosecuted if you do not follow that law. I don't know about Kennesaw's gun statistics, but going by the law, I figure it is higher than most places. I agree. The city is a sleepy suburb of Atlanta and not much different than its neighbors. Guns in homes are a deterrent, absolutely, but the reality is there are still crazy people out there with weapons. I feel that is the root of this issue.

I, in no way, am for a weapons ban.
I'm not understanding what your trying to get at, you say the comparison of the two is idiotic then you go off and say not everyone in the city owns a gun which is irrelevant. This is why the two comparisons of the two are somewhat relevant and not "idiotic." Both cities have similar crime rates but they got their through different ways. One city makes guns mandatory, crime decreases by half. The other bans guns crime increases.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:34 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyspameamil View Post
I'm not understanding what your trying to get at, you say the comparison of the two is idiotic then you go off and say not everyone in the city owns a gun which is irrelevant. This is why the two comparisons of the two are somewhat relevant and not "idiotic." Both cities have similar crime rates but they got their through different ways. One city makes guns mandatory, crime decreases by half. The other bans guns crime increases.
If everyone owned a gun in one particular city and no one owned a gun in another, that would be decent comparison. There are too many variables at play with comparing city crime rates.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:44 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
You wish it was on itty bitty place. Ok queenie, so why does Boise have 1/10th the murder rate of Chicago? 200,000 not a large enough population? How about Seattle, where anyone not a criminal can buy a gun, it has 1/5th the murder rate of Chicago and 1/10th the rate of Detroit? Or is 600,000 not a large enough city for you? At what population point do guns suddenly become the problem?
Thank you for pointing out Seattle, which is a super liberal city.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:01 PM

39,865 posts, read 26,492,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Population means something? I though it was gun ownership is what was bad....

Why does this town have 85% less crime AND a suburb of Atlanta than the rest of GA?
Apparently it's big urban areas that are dangerous, not the presence of legally owned firearms.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:09 PM

39,865 posts, read 26,492,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
In Chicago it is about poverty, not guns.
So you're saying the gun laws and legal gun ownership have nothing to do with violent crime rates in Chicago? Seems pretty typical of the anti-gun crowd. Dismiss data from a suburb of a large metro area because it's a suburb...but then dismiss the data from a large metro area because it shows the opposite of the point you'd like to make.

M'kay.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:23 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So you're saying the gun laws and legal gun ownership have nothing to do with violent crime rates in Chicago? Seems pretty typical of the anti-gun crowd. Dismiss data from a suburb of a large metro area because it's a suburb...but then dismiss the data from a large metro area because it shows the opposite of the point you'd like to make.

M'kay.
I am not "anti-gun" I am for better regulations for gun ownership in this country. I don't think owning a gun should be treated the same way as buying gum at the store. I think it is important for us to show responsibility with guns and show that we have an understanding of how to use them and the dangers they have. I also think that there should be proper background checks for guns to prevent criminals and those that pose a danger from getting a gun, which this needs to extend to gun shows as well which need to be better regulated. Gun shows right now have very little regulation and makes it easy for someone to skip over those background checks, thus making it easier for someone to get a gun.

I am not dismissing any form of data, it has already been shown that cities, even small ones like this one cannot fully trace their violence back to gun pro or con. For any city that has strict laws that have reduced crime, it is easy to find cities that have had increased crime with strict laws, but the same goes for relaxed laws in cities where there can be proof that there are increases and decreases.

It is silly to think that one formula can be applied to every place and work.

And yes, in places like Chicago poverty is a huge key to the violence in the city because much of this crime happens in the most poverty stricken areas where children are growing up in an area where they see little hope and their best chances are to join a gang, thus adding to the crime problem. In order to break that one must tackle poverty in a direct manner. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't have background checks for guns or let any type of weapon be legal to buy on the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies