Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 08:17 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,940,850 times

Advertisements

Not turning mine in....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 08:21 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTIMAGE View Post
insinuating that America's gun pathology has gone too far.

Incredible.
We should be asking why someone decides to do a murder like this to begin with. But nobody wants to ask the deep underlining questions, none seem to want to dig to the root of the problem.

Instead you want to attack a superficial part of the action done by these people. Instead you want to coin a term toward gun owners, calling them mentally ill, instead of addressing why someone would be so mental to murder.

Incredible........

Old 12-16-2012, 08:25 PM

408 posts, read 607,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
he is going that far because he isnt getting another term. the dems lost both houses when awb94 happened, i see it happening again if another awb is passed. plus the fact that most will not even turn in their so-called misnamed assault rifles.
The US has dealt with a floodgate of mass shootings since, seemingly, Columbine. I'm fairly certain the average American today is FAR more cynical about guns than he was in 94'. Even more so since Sandy Hook. Not to mention the fact it was 18 years ago. Just think how much more progressive America has become since then - even the great Bill Clinton wasn't able to 'push through' health care. I think for Obama the timing has just been right.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:14 PM

408 posts, read 607,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
We should be asking why someone decides to do a murder like this to begin with. But nobody wants to ask the deep underlining questions, none seem to want to dig to the root of the problem.

Instead you want to attack a superficial part of the action done by these people. Instead you want to coin a term toward gun owners, calling them mentally ill, instead of addressing why someone would be so mental to murder.

Incredible........
In Canada, we've dealt with our share of ''pure evil'' these past few years. The Greyhound bus decapitation comes to mind. And we've asked why someone would decide to commit such a murder. Truth is, sometimes there is simply no way of preventing someone from flying off the rails. Nor is there a purpose to trying to understand their motives. Even with the most infringing measures, a state will never be able to guarantee its citizens security from the microscopic minority of humans capable of doing what Adam Lanza did on Friday. You see, the root of the problem - as you call it - is the unpredictability of human nature. It's not something that history has shown we can correct 100%. Not so much a problem as it is something we must ''roll with''.

'Lunatics' have existed throughout our written history. They've done the most awful things to fellow human beings, but it's only in the 21st century that technology has allowed murderous madmen to obtain large body counts, fast. It makes for gut-wrenching, apocalyptic scenarios like the Sandy Hook shooting. Through technology, we've facilitated the committal of horrors.

I wouldn't dwell on America's culture of violence too too much. Not because it isn't a culprit, but rather because changing something so deeply-seated is such a long process. There are more immediate remedies available.

We can agree that a gun 'culture' exists in America. In the cultural framework guns are not merely metal objects. They represent something more to many Americans; freedom, safety, ultimate authority, righteousness. As such, the culture WILL change if you change the laws surrounding the ''superficial'' object at hand. Feelings of sanctity surrounding gun possession will dissolve over time.

In most parts of the Western world, guns are for law enforcement & hunting only, and simply seeing one can be shocking. This is how it should be. ''Main street'' USA needs to de-normalize its relationship with guns.

What could have prevented Adam Lanza from acquiring weapons?
a. A ban of possession of firearms in Connecticut. (not a realistic nor reasonable scenario).
b. A law requiring Adam's (seemingly) law-abiding mother keep all her guns under lock and key, safely stored.
In light of what has just happened, I doubt the people of Connecticut would oppose an initiative along the lines of point b. One step at a time (maybe one tragedy at a time), the U.S. WILL rationalize it's relationship with guns.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:32 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I'll tell you what I remember. I remember 9/11 and how we all were angry and in sadness and how in a emotional state we allowed certain new laws and responses set in motion without thinking out the long term on them and how in some ways they actually made things worse.

Certain Democrats have already voiced that they plan to introduce new laws in the wake of this shooting, not even two days later. Now who is using this tragedy to their advantage?
Are you referring to the Patriot Act?

Old 12-17-2012, 12:41 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,903,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Incredible, isn't it! The bodies of the children are not even laid to rest yet and the gun lovers are complaining that they may have new gun regulations!
This has got to be the most hilarious comment Ive read all day. Yes, we are complaining of new regulations before the bodies have been laid to rest, but only because you gun grabbers were calling for new controls before the bodies were even COLD!!!!

Old 12-17-2012, 12:48 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,006,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxBlueMan View Post
Watching Obama speak at the memorial service, right now.

It is clear. This has finally been the tipping point.

Better stock up rednecks, because we're coming for the guns.
How much did Obama have to pay the shooter this time?

2 mass murders under Obama's presidency. Not a good record.

Texas will secede before we give up our guns you can gaurandamntee that.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:50 AM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I didn't hear Obama say any such thing. And, if you think about it, the system in place or part of the system in place did work. The kid went to a sporting goods store and he was turned down, he was NOT able to buy a gun. So, what does a criminal do? He steals them. My suggestion to Mr Obama would be to kick the people who abuse the welfare system (the lifers) out and use that money to put dangerous people like this kid in institutions. Get them out of our society.
Do you suppose anyone would have known to lock him up before he went to the school? Understand that the laws can't read minds and proactively get people out of society BEFORE they turn dangerous.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:50 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,794,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
How much did Obama have to pay the shooter?

Not as much as Dubya paid Bin Laden for 9/11.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:53 AM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
How much did Obama have to pay the shooter this time?

2 mass murders under Obama's presidency. Not a good record.

You know, if we had to get people out of society BEFORE they went postal I'd start with the paranoid. You know who I'm talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies