Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 09:13 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,230,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yeah I got the part where you minimized his actions by comparing him to past presidents, otherwise why bring them up?

Talk out of both sides of your mouth much?
It was more a criticism of you, and how I'm sure you didn't/don't care when past presidents waged war. Of course I don't know for sure, but if you're like most people on this board, then that would be the case.

I could care less about Obama or defending him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 09:13 PM

734 posts, read 933,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The real irony, Obama is responsible for the deaths of more children than the conn. shooter.
Quite ironic indeed.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:14 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
I tried to read it, but Anderson Cooper was reading a list of the victims along with something personal about their short lives. Two girls liked purple. One little boy loved to solve mysteries. The teachers and other staff were heroes. That somehow made the post seem trivial and crude, at a time when so many are touched so deeply.

Well, I would hate to interrupt you while you're being touched.

So AC was busy giving this *** bag the fame he killed so many innocent children to get.

Great!

Now the next unbalanced puke who decides to go out with a bang will know the soulless ratings-driven media will be sure to spell his name correctly when they announce the next new record body count.

As for the teachers and other staff, they cowered in closets with children they could not protect while other little kids were slaughtered in a nearby classroom because liberals who support gun-free zones believe mass-murdering maniacs will obey gun laws.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:16 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,301,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asderfut View Post
I don't think it's quite fair to say that everyone in favor of gun-rights is a conspiracy minded racist. I do think we need to be civil about this.
I was just hoping that by making that point that I could at least convince a single person that we need to not have an aversion to all regulations on all guns. This isn't the DRC. This is the USA. We shouldn't need semi-automatic firearms for self defense. We shouldn't need high-capacity clips for self defense. A rifle for hunting is fine. It's even legal in Japan. But a Bushmaster .233? Why? There is NO good reason. Even freedom isn't a justification. We give up some freedom to live in a civil society. And the freedom to kill is the first we give up and the one that we all hope is absolutely restricted. If you don't like murder, you shouldn't like the tools that were designed almost explicitly for it.

I think most of them are conspiracy theorists and racists. There is no reason for regular citizens to have those weapons.

If someone wanted a nuclear bomb, nobody would say denying them that weapon is violating the 2nd amendment.

If someone said I want a bazooka or rocket launcher or a tank, no one would say denying that person those weapons violated the 2nd amendment.

So they are already in favor of limiting weapons.

Yet when you drill down into why they don't these weapons banned, it is always for these insane reasons.

The government is going to become tyrannical and we need these guns just in case.

Or the government is going to collaspe and there will be chaos and we need these weapons to stop those people.

If these cats were reasonable, we would track every gun produced. Every gun sold and if one of those weapons were used in a crime we would trace the sellers and stop a lot of gun violence.

We would limit these rapid fire military weapons, but these people are not reasonable. They are conspiracy theorists and racists and scared and they say this about themselves in these discussions all the time if people would listen.

Denying the truth won't change it.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:17 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,553,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
That sound you just heard was both little meson and frozenyo running away from the debate at high speed, tails tucked firmly between their hind legs.
What debate?

Old 12-16-2012, 09:19 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,789,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asderfut View Post
I don't think it's quite fair to say that everyone in favor of gun-rights is a conspiracy minded racist.
I get an especially large laugh out of people who try to explain to a liberal how to be fair.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:20 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,789,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
How about a link to who wrote the article?
It's at the top of the post, thanks for asking.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:22 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
I get an especially large laugh out of people who try to explain to a liberal how to be fair.
And I get an especially large laugh out of the people who said Romney was going to win in a landslide.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:30 PM

132 posts, read 195,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I think most of them are conspiracy theorists and racists. There is no reason for regular citizens to have those weapons.

If someone wanted a nuclear bomb, nobody would say denying them that weapon is violating the 2nd amendment.

If someone said I want a bazooka or rocket launcher or a tank, no one would say denying that person those weapons violated the 2nd amendment.

So they are already in favor of limiting weapons.

Yet when you drill down into why they don't these weapons banned, it is always for these insane reasons.

The government is going to become tyrannical and we need these guns just in case.

Or the government is going to collaspe and there will be chaos and we need these weapons to stop those people.

If these cats were reasonable, we would track every gun produced. Every gun sold and if one of those weapons were used in a crime we would trace the sellers and stop a lot of gun violence.

We would limit these rapid fire military weapons, but these people are not reasonable. They are conspiracy theorists and racists and scared and they say this about themselves in these discussions all the time if people would listen.

Denying the truth won't change it.
I have to disagree. I think that a person can reasonably own a gun. In Minnesota, hunting is big. But no one hunts with a semi-automatic rifle. And I can understand a handgun, if someone wants to deter something. No one robs Dunkin Donuts when three cops are there.
I do think that many guns should be limited and I disagree with concealed carry laws. It doesn't make sense to have a concealed-carry permit, because all that means is that you'd rather respond to a shooting than to pre-empt it.
I just want to emphasize civility. I think any debate should be framed forcefully and with conviction, but branding your opponent as insane is the easiest way to reach stalemate. Opponents of gun control had their worldview shaken this week, and the easiest way to have that worldview reaffirmed once again is to continue to treat them in ways that make them think that gun-safety advocates are just mean. As soon as we all descend into name-caling, we are descending from the kind of debate that changes mind and builds society in a productive fashion.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:30 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
. That's done.
No its not, unless you are willing to go door to door across the nation are you ready to suffer those consequences? That is why your support of a ban is foolish. Your confidence that allows you to dictate " sorry get another hobby" is hollow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies