Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 06:12 AM

734 posts, read 933,136 times

Advertisements

Very few people seem to see the irony in Obama speaking at Newtown, when over 4000 black boys/men died in Chicago due to gun violence. 1 in 5 of the 4000, were innocent bystanders going to school, work, or simply in their homes.

Since Obama has resided in Chicago for a number of years, one would expect that he would have spoken out, but besides uttering maybe a sentence or two about 'stopping the violence,' no serious intervention has been discussed at length or devised.

I think most in this nation are tired of the glorification of violence, and senseless deaths. I'm amazed that Obama, Congress and the Senate seem to gloss over the most pressing gun violence that occurs on a routine basis.

It's time to end violence throughout this nation; especially in the areas most devastated by it.

WASHINGTON WATCH: Gun Violence Among Black Men - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 06:24 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
Very few people seem to see the irony in Obama speaking at Newtown, when over 4000 black boys/men died in Chicago due to gun violence. 1 in 5 of the 4000, were innocent bystanders going to school, work, or simply in their homes.

Since Obama has resided in Chicago for a number of years, one would expect that he would have spoken out, but besides uttering maybe a sentence or two about 'stopping the violence,' no serious intervention has been discussed at length or devised.

I think most in this nation are tired of the glorification of violence, and senseless deaths. I'm amazed that Obama, Congress and the Senate seem to gloss over the most pressing gun violence that occurs on a routine basis.

It's time to end violence throughout this nation; especially in the areas most devastated by it.
I agree. It's way overdue for taking action on the gun violence in places like Chicago.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:24 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
The difference is that the main stream media doesn't report on the killings in Chicago because they aren't extreme enough to draw in viewers. On the other hand, senseless tragedies like Newtown are perfect for the MSM to exploit.

Most people couldn't tell you where the bad areas of Chicago are, and don't care to know. Since the violence in Chicago tends to happen to "impoverished criminals" they could care less about it. As is usual in politics, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and since nobody is talking about Chicago the situation will continue until the proverbial wheel falls off.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:27 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,611,192 times
Where did all those comes from???

Burglaries and straw buyers...

Old 12-17-2012, 06:28 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,214,288 times
Guns are banned in Chicago , this cannot be????

Old 12-17-2012, 06:30 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
Doesn't Illinois have very restrictive gun laws? How can there be so many gun deaths in a state with such strict gun laws?

Old 12-17-2012, 06:31 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times
Quote:

WASHINGTON WATCH: Gun Violence Among Black Men - YouTube
Does not matter to Obama . They have strict local gun control

Old 12-17-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
The difference is that the main stream media doesn't report on the killings in Chicago because they aren't extreme enough to draw in viewers. On the other hand, senseless tragedies like Newtown are perfect for the MSM to exploit.

Most people couldn't tell you where the bad areas of Chicago are, and don't care to know. Since the violence in Chicago tends to happen to "impoverished criminals" they could care less about it. As is usual in politics, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and since nobody is talking about Chicago the situation will continue until the proverbial wheel falls off.
The reality is, during the summer of 2012, a number of young black children, were killed by stray bullets. Most people in this nation, and especially in Chicago, are very aware that the gun violence is primarily relegated to the South side.

During the summer of 2012 alone, 150 black youths lost their lives to gun violence. Is it that black life is simply unimportant, and therefore unworthy of saving?

Presently, there's a national outcry against gun violence due to the senseless and horrific murders in Newtown, but I keep stating that all violence must be dealt with. The outrage should be prevalent, whenever murder/gun violence is exhibited.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Doesn't Illinois have very restrictive gun laws? How can there be so many gun deaths in a state with such strict gun laws?
Strict gun laws, yet:

Chicago Homicide: Record Number Of Killings Reported In A Single Day Last Weekend
Quote:
This August has been a particularly bloody one for Chicago: as of Aug. 20, there have been 38 killings reported this month, already three more than in all of August 2011, the Chicago Tribune reports.

This year, 346 people have been killed in Chicago, up 31 percent from the same period last year, while shootings are up 8 percent citywide. The homicides have been concentrated mostly in the city's South and West Sides, where gun violence has been rampant.

As of the end of July, homicides in the city were up about 27 percent. Through the first quarter of the year, murders had spiked as high as 60 percent over 2011.
Where was the outrage from Obama, et al???

Old 12-17-2012, 06:50 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
The reality is, during the summer of 2012, a number of young black children, were killed by stray bullets. Most people in this nation, and especially in Chicago, are very aware that the gun violence is primarily relegated to the South side.

During the summer of 2012 alone, 150 black youths lost their lives to gun violence. Is it that black life is simply unimportant, and therefore unworthy of saving?

Presently, there's a national outcry against gun violence due to the senseless and horrific murders in Newtown, but I keep stating that all violence must be dealt with. The outrage should be prevalent, whenever murder/gun violence is exhibited.
Having been to Chicago more times than I can count, for both professional and recreational reasons, I can assure you that "Southside" Chicago is a huge chunk of real estate, and the majority of people living outside of Chicago wouldn't be able to tell you where it starts.

We are in agreement that the violence should stop and that people should be outraged over the rate of homicide in Chicago. I was simply pointing out that most people, especially those who get their news from main stream media, are not nearly as aware of the problem as those of us who have friends and relatives that may be affected by the situation. The MSM isn't going to report as heavily on the deaths in Chicago as they are on tragedies like Newtown, for whatever reason. Is it because the victims are black? Is it because most of the shootings take place in more individual confrontations? Is it because of some bias against reporting on the murder rate in the city that our fearless leader calls home? No idea. All I know is that the violence in Chicago has been an ongoing problem since I was a teenager in St. Louis, and that's longer than I care to remember. It didn't get national coverage then, and it isn't going to get national coverage now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies