Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 04:27 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,995,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
There are about 40,000 abortions every year in Chile. There are about 1,000,000+ abortions every year in the USA. There are about 17.2 million people in Chile and about 315 million in the USA. Adjusting for population that puts Chile's abortion figure at about 700,000 every year if she was the size of the USA.

Yes, people break the law but as you can see the law had some effect.
You seem like a smart person. You know if abortion is illegal in Chile that the majority of them will not be reported. What we can assume with a fair reliability is that people in Chile are having a lot more abortions than are being report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
So many lights just snuffed out. No-one knows what their lives would have been, or how many they would have touched, and if they may have bettered the World.
Ouch! Or if they could have been mass murderers? You forget that Charlie Manson and Dahmer and Hitler were all babies once. A baby is raw material. There is no guarantee that one will turn left or right in his life. We do know that being forced to incubate in an unwilling mother is bad for it, though. So is being born to a family or woman who doesn't want it.

They may have just be other unemployed shlubs in society, suffering for want of work. They just as easily could be malfunctioning high school drop outs.

There is nothing inherently wonderful about having offspring. All animals do it.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I get the feeling that the pro-abortion types either:

1) Had an abortion
2) Had a daughter, sister, mom, cousin, best friend who had an abortion

Pro-choice is essentially giving a thumbs up to abortion because there's no motivation to stop it.....simply let the law handle it and "oh well!" Having someone close to you have an abortion would certainly make you biased to be "for" it.

I can't fathom this particular mentality.
I guess that's a man's uncomplicated thinking for you.

There are women who have had kids, reared them, and have regretted ever having done so. Usually, the kids did not turn out alright, either.

There are women who have had kids and put them up for adoption and have wished they never did that, would have rather aborted than have done that. Some of these women are haunted all their lives. It does immeasurable harm to them. Even if they meet the kid as an adult there is always the wonder of what would have happened, if . . .

Some women had kids at too young an age and consequently have little education, so cannot support these children, meaning they try to leach on to some guy for support or go on welfare. These women might have had very different life outcomes if they had only had an abortion. It is sad that someone brainwashed them as to what the 'right thing' was, and this life altering decision is found to be wrong.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
I also said that you would not accept what I presented as proof. I will accept that although I wanted very much to prove it to you, I guess I ended up lying, so I admit it and I accept that is a sin. But, you are wrong and lying when you state that my religion breeds hatred. Wrong, wrong, wrong. The catholic church teaches so much love, it is impossible for a for sinner such as I to live up to it. Examples: Veneration of Mary and the subsequent high esteem women are held in the church, love for children, love for the unborn, love for illegal immegrants, love for this, love for that. It is you who spout the garbage. Come to my church, you will not here one unkind word about anyone.
There may be a god.
And, then there is the Catholic 'take' on god.
Two very different things.
Most people I know who would never become Catholic or who were and have left have done so for several reasons. The church is full of do's and don'ts and puts a straight jacket around people. They not only do not believe in birth control, but also believe in the sin of Onan. Ridiculous! They are money hungry to support all those free loading priests. They are hypocrites. Even, pedophiles and coverups and disobeying civil law aside, they make sure everyone feels guilty and unworthy because it keeps you and your checkbook coming back to them.

They are a left over from the dark ages and their numbers, at least in the West, are diminishing.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:40 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,556,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
There may be a god.
And, then there is the Catholic 'take' on god.
Two very different things.
Most people I know who would never become Catholic or who were and have left have done so for several reasons. The church is full of do's and don'ts and puts a straight jacket around people. They not only do not believe in birth control, but also believe in the sin of Onan. Ridiculous! They are money hungry to support all those free loading priests. They are hypocrites. Even, pedophiles and coverups and disobeying civil law aside, they make sure everyone feels guilty and unworthy because it keeps you and your checkbook coming back to them.

They are a left over from the dark ages and their numbers, at least in the West, are diminishing.
I would say from your ignorant comments, you really have no idea what that Catholic "take" is regarding God. Yes many leave the church or become none practicing catholics. Catholic teaching is difficult to follow, but, very worthwhile. I am going to avoid speaking about your favorite sin,, talk about rediculous! Now, I suppose many are hypocrites, that is a hard sin to avoid. Actually I think they need to concentrate a little harder on making people feel guilty and not have such a feel good type homily every sunday. Anyway maybe you should think about going to confession and getting back into the church. I assume you are catholic since you seem to think you know so much about it.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:03 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,317,774 times
[quote=goldengrain;27539536]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Yes. This is an instance in which well intentioned people can inadvertently put others on a destructive road. These children born to unwilling women are probably more likely to be delinquents and under achievers. The woman may suffer psychological problems.
That's part of the "veneration of women" that the OP was discussing.
Right to life until birth, then they're on their own, with no support from the largest corporation in the world.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:09 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,317,774 times
Quote:
I would say from your ignorant comments, you really have no idea what that Catholic "take" is regarding God. Yes many leave the church or become none practicing catholics. Catholic teaching is difficult to follow, but, very worthwhile. I am going to avoid speaking about your favorite sin,, talk about rediculous! Now, I suppose many are hypocrites, that is a hard sin to avoid. Actually I think they need to concentrate a little harder on making people feel guilty and not have such a feel good type homily every sunday. Anyway maybe you should think about going to confession and getting back into the church. I assume you are catholic since you seem to think you know so much about it.
Your opinion means nothing.
Many of us were raised and trained with the catholic take on god; we know it's all bs.
Logic will debunk your "beliefs" - still waiting on your proof, by the way.

The deceit of saying that we wouldn't believe it anyway, is absurd.
Show me proof of a god thingie and I'm open to change.
But you've never shown the proof that you asserted you have.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:54 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,586,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I get the feeling that the pro-abortion types either:

1) Had an abortion
2) Had a daughter, sister, mom, cousin, best friend who had an abortion

Pro-choice is essentially giving a thumbs up to abortion because there's no motivation to stop it.....simply let the law handle it and "oh well!" Having someone close to you have an abortion would certainly make you biased to be "for" it.

I can't fathom this particular mentality.
Ridiculous. You do realize that you know people close to you who have probably had an abortion, but they are extremely unlikely to share that personal information with an arrogant, bloviating anti-abortion loud-mouth.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:21 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,160,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I guess that's a man's uncomplicated thinking for you.

There are women who have had kids, reared them, and have regretted ever having done so. Usually, the kids did not turn out alright, either.

There are women who have had kids and put them up for adoption and have wished they never did that, would have rather aborted than have done that. Some of these women are haunted all their lives. It does immeasurable harm to them. Even if they meet the kid as an adult there is always the wonder of what would have happened, if . . .

Some women had kids at too young an age and consequently have little education, so cannot support these children, meaning they try to leach on to some guy for support or go on welfare. These women might have had very different life outcomes if they had only had an abortion. It is sad that someone brainwashed them as to what the 'right thing' was, and this life altering decision is found to be wrong.
That's why I believe in front side personal responsibility. If you can't figure out what that entails, then you probably shouldn't be a participant in this conversation because its not rocket science. If you ask nicely, I'll give you a hint. You might be surprised at how much sense it makes.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Many people have managed to break free of that cult, and I do call it a cult. The church is corrupt and rotten like a fish, from the head down. I am surprised that there are still members, but not everyone can overcome such brainwashing at an early age. There are still many people whom the church is sheltering who should have been presented to authorities. There is no other organization, but NAMBLA, that I can think of that has sunk so low. To me, it is repulsive, a criminal organization. Even if you need to believe in a god, there are other, better ways. There is no excuse to rationalize membership, to lending your good name, to that group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies