Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 06:14 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times

Advertisements

Those items are random in nature. You can't target a single individual who is causing you or someone else harm in an effort protect yourself or someone else. Also, those could be called offensive weapons since they are random in their destruction.

My weapons are for defensive use only. I have never shot a single living thing with them. I'm not against hunting, I just don't like to get up that early and sit in the cold and I sure don't want to field dress what I shoot. I prefer to get my protein from the Kroger meat market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 06:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Default Existing law

These are considered "weapons of mass destruction" are strictly regulated (private ownership effectively banned) by the Federal government. This, however, does not prevent someone with a bit of knowledge and criminal intent (Tim McVey) from rolling their own nefarious device. Most of the instructions are already public knowledge and the precursor ingredients are also available if you know where to look and have a seemingly legitimate use for the quantities required.

In the same manner banning "assault" weapons would have little effect on the incidences of lunatics doing heinous acts upon innocents. There is apparently a really destructive mean streak in some people that is difficult to notice and even more difficult to treat. These people will get the devices they need to wreak the havoc they desire. I do not think there is anything we can do about it except to have our police actively protect the places where we have disarmed the adults in charge. Monsters are not necessarily stupid. They know that a "gun free zone" is much safer to attack than, at the other extreme, a large open Gun Show.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:18 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
maybe no one feels like answering stupid questions
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Don't be ridiculous.
How are my questions stupid and ridiculous? If my premise is so easily picked apart, by all means do it.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:18 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Look, the right to bear arms relates to effectively a right to have something you would be able to actually carry in your own arms, as a member of a militia. Which is basically a gun and not really a whole lot else.

It would not include a tank or an aircraft carrier or an attack helicopter or a stealth fighter. Because that isn't something you could or would carry as a militiaman.

Nor would an individual carry around a nuclear bomb, or chemical weapons, or biological weapons, or anything of that nature, as part of a militia.

I mean, what kind of weapons might the "national guard" be equipped with? Probably pistols, shotguns, and rifles, and not too much else.

Even the military in the 1700's had cannons. But cannons would not be something someone could "bear arms" with.

Anyway, the protection basically refers to your typical small arms. And yes, assault rifles would be included, almost specifically.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Biological Warfare Agents

Chemical Weapons

Nuclear Weapons

Radiological Weapons

I checked the Bill of Rights and didn't see an amendment saying I had a right to have them.
Missed the point of my question: I stated that a very big reason that many do not want more gun control is because they feel they have the right to protect themselves against an oppressive government. I posited that having the most advanced and powerful automatic weapons will not defend one against the above. In that case, should Americans be able to own above weapons to even the playing field between the government and citizens.

Why or why not?

Old 12-18-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
That was my first thought.

YCFS.
As I said to the others, if my premise is so stupid it should be very easy for you to pick it apart. As easy as calling names, right?

Old 12-18-2012, 06:27 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Missed the point of my question: I stated that a very big reason that many do not want more gun control is because they feel they have the right to protect themselves against an oppressive government. I posited that having the most advanced and powerful automatic weapons will not defend one against the above. In that case, should Americans be able to own above weapons to even the playing field between the government and citizens.

Why or why not?
No because our government has only used WMDs twice. It's been conventional warfare before and after those 2 days in 1945.

As far fighting the full force of the US military, it won't happen. Very few will turn against their own neighbors. It's like the US/Russia stand-off during the cold war. No one really wants to go down that road but we are prepared as a last defense.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:32 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

Why or why not?
That is not what you stated .... you said "Anti-gun control people".

I have problems with gun control due to a stated Constitutional right to own them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies