Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 09:05 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,027,479 times

Advertisements

How many people here would have a job much less not get thrown in jail for showing up following a drunk driving accident that killed someone? Are we telling the kids of this country that it's okay so long as you're a PRO athlete?

Josh Brent watches Sunday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 09:20 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piyf View Post
How many people here would have a job much less not get thrown in jail for showing up following a drunk driving accident that killed someone? Are we telling the kids of this country that it's okay so long as you're a PRO athlete?

Josh Brent watches Sunday
This surprised me as well. Just because his teammates wanted him to come to the game doesn't mean he should have gone. Not exactly a smart or respectful decision.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:46 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
I was also pretty surprised by that.
They should have cut him immediately.
He's definitely going to prison.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:26 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Not just pro-athletes. Celebrities (actors, directors, musical performers) can get away with a great deal and still find work in the industry. A movie director can drug and rape a 13 year old girl then run away to France to avoid prison and the movie industry (actors and directors) will give him a standing ovation on national TV awards show. How many chances have some celebrities had with their bad behavior before they were really sent to jail for their crimes merely because they plead guilty and asked to go to rehab several times? Robert Downey Jr. is the most famous of the problem actors and probably the most talented actor today. Even at his worst, everyone knew he was a very talented actor. But his drug and alcohol problem was causing problems. Hollywood, the great drug and alcohol enabler, continued to offer him jobs even knowing of his problems. After going to jail and hitting rock bottom, he cleaned up for good and is having the career he should have had decades ago. Some never get clean. They stop getting job offers not because of their drugs and alcohol, but because they don't perform well anymore because of the drugs and alcohol addiction even with all the support they provide to the actor.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:43 AM

97 posts, read 417,818 times
I don't know enough of this story to comment fully.

But, If the mother of the dead son didn't have a problem with it why should you?

I have not fact checked this but according to TV the reason he was able to be at the game was mostly due to what the mother of the dead son said at the funeral.

I am in not way sticking up for the drunk driver. Do I think he is a murderer no. To me it was an accident. That being said there should be a price to pay for a dumb choice that accidentally caused the death of another person.

He will pay with the court and self inflicted mental turmoil.

But, unlike MADD or people like them I don't think he should be socially out casted, stoned, and hung in the town square. It is amazing to me that because of groups like MADD you see drunk drivers get stiffer penalties than rapist.

And don't act like you have never made the same dumb choice he did. By todays standards I would be willing to bet good money the majority of the adult population has at one time driven buzzed/drunk with a friend in the car with them.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:53 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Hello enabler, first, I can honestly say I never drove while under the influence. Second, this was not his first time driving under the influence. It was the second time he was caught driving under the influence. That means he did this far more often than twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsheehan026 View Post
I don't know enough of this story to comment fully.

But, If the mother of the dead son didn't have a problem with it why should you?

I have not fact checked this but according to TV the reason he was able to be at the game was mostly due to what the mother of the dead son said at the funeral.

I am in not way sticking up for the drunk driver. Do I think he is a murderer no. To me it was an accident. That being said there should be a price to pay for a dumb choice that accidentally caused the death of another person.

He will pay with the court and self inflicted mental turmoil.

But, unlike MADD or people like them I don't think he should be socially out casted, stoned, and hung in the town square. It is amazing to me that because of groups like MADD you see drunk drivers get stiffer penalties than rapist.

And don't act like you have never made the same dumb choice he did. By todays standards I would be willing to bet good money the majority of the adult population has at one time driven buzzed/drunk with a friend in the car with them.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:33 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
I thought his presence at the game was in incredibly poor taste. I'm so sick of Jerry Jones and the Cow-THUGS I could puke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies