Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 01:24 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,644,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
What is needed is just plain common sense. We need to adopt a more adult attitude about firearms that should be reflected in responsible gun laws. There is no reason for anyone not in the military or police service to have weapons designed for use in combat. Likewise, the public obsession over handguns for personal protection is beyond reason. Unless you are a qualified expert, or police-trained in handling small arms, it is a mistake to think you will be safe in you home with a loaded pistol. (You are more likely to shoot yourself than ward-off anyone intent on doing you harm.) If you must have a gun for protection, then get a 12 gauge, double-barrel shotgun, load it with medium bird-shot and keep it ready to hand. For most people, you are probably better protected with a cell phone with one-touch dialing for emergency calls.
Sorry man...this fails on to many levels to list. Cops are, more often than not, not well versed in firearms use. Oh sure, they go through the academy, shoot at some targets, and then most only worry about their weapon after that when it's all time to requalify.
Place your faith in someone else to defend you if you wish. I won't even comment on what I think of the "you're more likely to shoot yourself" drivel. Spare me that tired adage.
There are WAY more "qualified" armed citizens out here, who are far more capable than most cops, standing ready to defend their families. Rely on 911 for a first line of defense and the end of the story will be the cops will show up to call the ME to bag and tag you and your loved ones when the wolf is at the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 03:36 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,498,123 times
I happen to be an expert on small arms, and what I said is no more than what experience has shown to be true. What is needed is more interdependence, more societal support, more police protection, and less guns.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times
the public is frustrated and in a state of rage over the mass killings.
they are tired of excuses. they want the government to "do something".
it does not matter if it is the wrong thing, just something.
please note 37% of homocides are non gun events.
the tendancy in 2012 is to see all as victims inc the shooter.
inanimate objects become evil, such as firearms and drugs and abandoned rundown urban areas, not the users.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:49 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I support:

1) Background checks, even at gun shows. I have bought guns at gun shows where a background check was performed on-site. It was not a burden.

2) Delayed Delivery: Perhaps assault-style weapons should have a 3, 5, 7, or 10 day waiting period between purchase and delivery. A "cool down" period in case the buyer has immediate plans to use the gun to kill. The only caveat I offer is that someone who is poised to purchase an AR-15 type rifle is likely more methodical than some out of control deranged individual. Delayed delivery would not impede a methodical planner.

3) Limit magazines to 20 rounds without exception. Magazines 20 rounds and above could be subject to registering, but not illegal.

I do not support:

1) Outright weapons ban
2) Tax on ammunition

However, none of these actually could or would stop a would-be mass-murderer. I think anti-gun nuts should acknowledge sooner rather than later that there will be nothing that stops someone hell bent on killing. That's just how it is.
If you acknowledge that none of these measures will stop a would-be mass-murderer, then why implement them?

Old 12-18-2012, 03:51 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,244,940 times
When every American who sells guns is on a government database, exactly how long will it take for the SS to round them all up when Obama goes too far?

Old 12-18-2012, 03:54 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,468,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
This is my point as well. Why does the NRA not stand up and say, we are not going along with the idea of getting rid of semi autos, but we will work with the other side on stopping private sales without back ground checks. This is as dumb as saying if you to go wal mart and buy oxy you have to have a prescription, but if you buy it form Somone in the parking lot, as long as you should have it, no one will ask and just buy away. Really? How long before a bustling trade in illegal drugs would be in every parking lot?
Leftists do not stop at reasonable accomodation. They will not take a reasonable compromise and then pack their bags and go home. They will pocket their victory and then start campaigning for more. They always do.

I will stipulate in conversation that nobody really needs an assault rifle in their home. However I will never vote for banning them. Because I know that once they are banned, the gun control nuts will then start wanting to ban something else. Better to hold the line farther away.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:55 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,148,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
When every American who sells guns is on a government database, exactly how long will it take for the SS to round them all up when Obama goes too far?
Did you put your tin foil hat on today to keep out all those gov. control rays? LMAO

Old 12-18-2012, 03:56 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,406,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
I happen to be an expert on small arms, and what I said is no more than what experience has shown to be true. What is needed is more interdependence, more societal support, more police protection, and less guns.
You could have a cop every square mile and they still wouldn't be able to respond in time in many cases. When seconds count, they are minutes away. When my house was burglarized and I told the cop I was worried they might come back his response to me was " shoot them".

Old 12-18-2012, 04:01 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,148,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Leftists do not stop at reasonable accomodation. They will not take a reasonable compromise and then pack their bags and go home. They will pocket their victory and then start campaigning for more. They always do.

I will stipulate in conversation that nobody really needs an assault rifle in their home. However I will never vote for banning them. Because I know that once they are banned, the gun control nuts will then start wanting to ban something else. Better to hold the line farther away.
I don't think this line of logic is going to cut it. Let me say I understand where you are coming from and I have held that view before. I have three ARs and Two AKs I love to go to the range and shoot them. I don't hoard I have different configurations, M4 style, Vietnam era, and a colt, I am a sucker for a Colt. my AKs are under folder and full stock. I don't want to see a ban. And I will give you the hard core anti gun left will take any victory and go for more. Just as the right will do the same. But we are going to have to give on this some. If we hold this hard line, we are going to lose it all. You can't hold the line against millions of voting mothers who see their 5yo kid or grandkid and expect to win. If we don't help form the fix its going to be a fix we don't like at all. An outright ban on ownership. Maybe not this year but the way things are going soon.

I have a lot of empathy for the victims and can say that I see their point of view also. Why would anyone want this in their home, and why does their right to have it trump my right to have a safe environment for my kid. Its not gong to be a winnable position.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:04 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,375,811 times
Quote:
I watched Joe Scarborough today and he said Glocks are not needed to protect your home. Well, he also said the 10mm was over kill, We as gun owners know that the 10mm was a failed experiment that is now not easy to find and expensive to shoot if you don't load
We've crossed over into bizarro land when a guy like this is taken at all seriously. He has no idea what he is talking about. We might as well put Madonna in charge of building codes, and Rosie ODonnell as FDA commish. Stick a fork in us, we're done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies