Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 02:26 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,355 times

Advertisements

It has nothing to do with the parent and everything to do with Social pressures of acceptance and success put on children. To be blunt everyone is suppose to win and that is part of the problem, if you lose you're a loser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 02:38 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
We have a societal problem with our youth. Suck it up and take responsibility for it if you have children. Teach them right from wrong, make sure you teach them that life isn't fair and that there ARE winners and losers in life. DO YOUR PART!
This is your opinion, and as long as you press it as your personal opinion and not as some sort of scientifically established fact then I can respect that. Not too long ago, archaeologists dug up some clay tablets of some ancient civilization (maybe Assyrian or Sumerian???) and one of the comical things in those tablets was how the adults back then were complaining about the problems of youth, how lazy they were, and how spoiled they were.

My personal feelings on the "youth of today" argument is that we tend not to pay a whole lot of attention to the goings-on of the world when we're younger. When I was eight or nine or ten years old, I might have heard about the Connecticut shooting, thought it horrible, but I wouldn't have been glued to the TV and internet 24/7 trying to get more information. I had better things to do - like watch cartoons, play with my Nintendo, or throw the football. Life is a lot simpler when you're younger and that's what we remember about a given era when we're growing up in it.

If you were just a kid in the 80's you'd remember how simple and great life was. But, adults were panicked about the Soviet Union, the rise of AIDS, failing economies, a crack epidemic and Satan-worshipping teenagers hellbent on human sacrifice. I presume it to be only natural that one wouldn't remember those things as a kid (or even a person in their teens and early twenties), or at the very least, would pay minimal attention to it.

So, when you're comparing the youth of yesteryear (in which you grew up) to the youth of today, I think most people have a skewed perspective of the comparison. You remember life being simple, grand, and virtually worry-free because that is in fact the average American life and what we hope to give our kids. You see tragedy and horror perpetuated by people of youth and the only thing you have to compare them to is your experience.

I think that's a very easy misconception to make and pretty much anyone could fall prey to it. So, no, I don't feel your argument is an effective one for the reasons I stated above.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:47 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Your post brings up my initial thought that highly medicated mentally ill people can be triggered to insanity by their medications. I did notice in the pics of Holmes and Lanza a similar wide-eyed dazed look in their photos, suggestive of being on meds. It is well known that certain classifications of antidepressants spur the recipients to suicide. The case with Lanza may have been primarily suicide with secondary motive to harm/kill others, rather than the other way around.
If he was medicated, we'll soon know.

Tens of millions of people are medicated. Heck Utah, of all places, has the most medicated population in the U.S. There are substantially more people who do not harm themselves or others as a result of taking their meds than the other way around. ( Having said this, know I am not a fan of mood altering medications)

I don't think suicide was this kid's primary motive. He could have done that at home. Instead he donned a bullet-prof vest and sought to murder children before taking his own life.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:53 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,417 times
Would you like butter on your Glock?

Old 12-18-2012, 03:14 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Terror at Southwest Side Movie Theater, as Gunman, Patron Shot in Lobby - NewsRadio 1200 WOAI, San Antonio

What the heck is going on lately???? Let me guess, another ill prepared youngster who couldn't handle real life....

Well, well....

We have a societal problem folks..... Decades of Progressive teachings are coming home to roost.
I think this comes from the new liberal society where everyone gets a trophy, no one is judged, nothing is anyone's fault, drug the uppity boys, to keep them calm, and then the kids post everything on the internet or tweet photos and rants to cell phones.

Some kids just can't handle life coming at them at 200 mph, and they seem to be flipping out. But we will ignore the underlying issue, allow government to blame guns, trample the rights of the 99.999% of the rest of the nation, and be done with it.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:29 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Terror at Southwest Side Movie Theater, as Gunman, Patron Shot in Lobby - NewsRadio 1200 WOAI, San Antonio

What the heck is going on lately???? Let me guess, another ill prepared youngster who couldn't handle real life....

Well, well.... We have a societal problem folks..... Decades of Progressive teachings are coming home to roost.
Yea, Texas needs to cut back on all that progressive propaganda......

Old 12-18-2012, 04:37 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
If only there could have been a story titled "Man attempts to open fire on first grade classroom, teacher carrying a concealed weapon drops him with one bullet"

Old 12-18-2012, 04:41 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,226,066 times
Yeah, just glad the shooter was dropped with one shot, that should happen more often. Good job off-duty Deputy.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:34 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Banning semi auto rifles will do nothing to "solve" the problem. That won't stop the knee jerkers from piling on though. They will all pat themselves on the back and the gun banners will be happy and when the next mass shooting happens then what? We'll at least we tried I guess will be the reply. There have been documented mass murders for the last hundred years every decade. Some people are evil. Dahmer didn't need a semi auto assault rifle to eat folks.
Dahmer was a serial killer (he killed a series of people in separate incidents), not a mass murderer like the Sandy Hook killer (killing a number of people in a single incident). Just so you have your killers straight.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:39 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Dahmer was a serial killer (he killed a series of people in separate incidents), not a mass murderer like the Sandy Hook killer (killing a number of people in a single incident). Just so you have your killers straight.
Dahmer's weapon was sleeping pills and his hands. He would drug a drink that he gave his victim and then strangle them.

Let's ban "assault" sleeping pills and chop off everybody's hands!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies