Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 04:31 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I'm not denying that these norms were defended. But, they were defended from a place where they were natural in origin.
Sorry, you will have to explain this 'natural in origin' thing.

And please, do not compare the animal kingdom to humans.

To my mind, the only way this idea that men are smarter than women is that women are smaller and not as strong as men. Going back ten to twenty thousand years ago, men may have very well dominated women through brute strength. But that does not make these behaviors 'natural'. It's just bullying and thousands of years of perfecting the fiction that women just aren't equal to men in any capacity.

We are living in a time of great change in all facets of life around the world. I think it's exciting; I know that things do not stay the same and are always changing. We are going through a period of rapid change; many will long for what they perceive as the good old days, the 'correct' way to live, certain 'places' for certain people. That's changing and I am glad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 04:32 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Do ya think we just need a little more time to works things out??
I've said as much several times in this thread. It's possible.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:34 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
I'm not denying that these norms were defended. But, they were defended from a place where they were natural in origin.

Now, it's politics and preference that are pushing and pulling these norms to be remodeled. Which is a natural occurrence in and of itself. But you have to consider one thing. At the end of the day, it's all about preference. You cannot erase an idea through indoctrination and propaganda. I think these types of social issues are used to keep people divided more than encourage tolerance. If I may put my tin foil hat on.
Since when has suppressing women been natural?
The oldest laws put women beneath men. The oldest cultures held women as less socially.
Men were bigger physically, and they dominated women, women weren't given any chance to even try to be equal in most societies.

Where did nature come in?

Old 12-18-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post

To take just one slice of the issue, the enormous preponderance of statistical evidence that children raised in single-parent households suffer in a wide range of life-outcomes is something that gravely concerned the original early-20th century Progressives, and should be (and is) at least as important to their modern-day counterparts.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I raised three children as a single mother. All three have college degrees and are doing very well in life.

I was not even near middle class. I worked (and still do) as a secretary with no assistance from the 'other' parent. When one of my daughters needed a dress and shoes for her prom, I bought them, and we lived on rice and pasta for a week or two to make up for the expense. I just HATE when people say oooh single mother! as if I was somehow less than ...

Old 12-18-2012, 04:39 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Sorry, you will have to explain this 'natural in origin' thing.

And please, do not compare the animal kingdom to humans.

To my mind, the only way this idea that men are smarter than women is that women are smaller and not as strong as men. Going back ten to twenty thousand years ago, men may have very well dominated women through brute strength. But that does not make these behaviors 'natural'. It's just bullying and thousands of years of perfecting the fiction that women just aren't equal to men in any capacity.

We are living in a time of great change in all facets of life around the world. I think it's exciting; I know that things do not stay the same and are always changing. We are going through a period of rapid change; many will long for what they perceive as the good old days, the 'correct' way to live, certain 'places' for certain people. That's changing and I am glad.
Humans really are animals at the top of the food chain....

The argument that the "ability to rationalize" is not an ability that exempts humans into their own category. The ability to rationalize gave us guns which enabled us to hunt and gather more efficiently.

Rationale is a tool...

By arguing against it you are arguing that a rhino isn't an animal because of it's horn.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:44 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Since when has suppressing women been natural?
The oldest laws put women beneath men. The oldest cultures held women as less socially.
Men were bigger physically, and they dominated women, women weren't given any chance to even try to be equal in most societies.

Where did nature come in?
Women submitted willingly for thousands of generations.... All the propaganda of male chauvinism and misogyny aside...many women accepted these norms.

Nature comes in because this was observed in primitive man and woman...and, like I mentioned earlier, chivalry was a natural progression by men who recognized their dominance over women...without coercion.. like we have today.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:45 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:

The argument that the "ability to rationalize" is not an ability that exempts humans into their own category. The ability to rationalize gave us guns which enabled us to hunt and gather more efficiently.

Rationale is a tool...

By arguing against it you are arguing that a rhino isn't an animal because of it's horn.
Where did this rationale to suppress women come from? It sounds like simple might makes right, bullying to me.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:

Rationale is a tool...

You seem to be contradicting yourself. You cannot make an argument for 'natural origin' without comparing humans to animals? I believe in evolution; I know we descended from apes. But I ask again, what do you mean by natural origin? The ability to think and rationalize most certainly does put us into a different category! Look at racism. Do cats or dogs care what color other cats or dogs are? No, because they just see another 'cat' or 'dog'.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:51 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,389 times
Quote:

Rationale is a tool...

Men are, on average, physically larger and stronger than are women--that is a reality of nature. Using those natural physical advantages to socially and culturally subjugate women is not a reality of nature, it is an abuse of power.

It's perfectly acceptable to expect that women will play by the same set of rules as men. However, putting up obstacles to interfere with women participating; is both mean-spirited and cowardly. It's also counter-productive to the notion of a fair, equal, and healthy society.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:53 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I raised three children as a single mother. All three have college degrees and are doing very well in life.

I was not even near middle class. I worked (and still do) as a secretary with no assistance from the 'other' parent. When one of my daughters needed a dress and shoes for her prom, I bought them, and we lived on rice and pasta for a week or two to make up for the expense. I just HATE when people say oooh single mother! as if I was somehow less than ...
Good for you but the OP would have you forced to marry for some reason I can't quite get..

The thought of a competent, intelligent, strong, successful woman must scare the bejaysus out of him...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies