Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 05:52 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
For the money he makes, as an interviewer Morgan is an incompetent and should resign if not fired.
....if it only worked that way. He'll be making far more than any real journalist because he's such a good entertainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 06:21 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,877 times
The problem is in the cities for the most art but is that not because that is where the people are? I bet the murder rate is very low under the sea or an uninhabited island.

An interviewer should not call someone stupid, he let his emotion get the best of him. The simple truth is that you could argue that you want to let teachers be armed to stop a threat that you create by letting people own guns. So you create the very threat you now want to fix by adding more of the very thing that created the threat in the first place. Or use stats that show less guns of some types do stop some crimes like in Australia.

Before I would like to see an out right ban I would rather see semi autos go under restrictions like full autos. I think it would be crazy that you can own a full auto if you do the back ground check and buy the stamp and not own a semi auto. I would rather see if that would stop some crimes and if it would push them to use revolvers and other types of guns and what would be the reaction then?
Would it be ban semi auto hand guns? and if we did that would it be ban revolvers? I am not the hard ass gun owner like some who just go on about keeping the gov. in line or no out of my cold dead hands. bla bla bla, but I also see the slippery slope that some worry about. I have talked with people who own guns and want to work with government to stop future acts of violence, but see semi auto rifles as a barrier before their guns are affected.

Its a hard issue and if people start to attack gun owners your going to make them wall up and fight like the devil. I did a search on line and you can't get an AR right now to save yourself. They are sold out and back ordered. Before the shooting they languished on shelfs and prices were dropping, but now a 600 dollar Bushmaster is going for as much as 1500 and up on line at places like Gunbroker and Armslist.
Ammo is going for 800 a thousand and people are paying it. I have even seen a buck a round for 223. This from a low of a bout 2 bucks for 20.

I don't like to see frenzy buying, but its inevitable I guess. Personally I don't know what the answers are, I see the other side who does not shoot and does not own a gun. If I were that person I would say the same thing, why the heck does any one need any gun?
I am a gun owner and can see my side clearly also. The genie is out of the bottle, is it even possible to do anything now that there are so many semi auto rifles out there? What would happened to those who own M1 Garands, a semi auto from WW2 they have collected? Or M1 carbines.

Its a very tough issue, and I suspect that either you have to ban them entirely or make them like full autos where you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get one, or do nothing. The Clinton crime bill was very flawed because it baned guns based on looks. Take off a bayonet lug and now its not an assault weapon. At the gun shows they used to joke that all the drive by bayoneting have stopped. It was a joke, Mags and guns never slowed down because the law was so loose that you could drive a mack truck through them, and the gun company's did. AKs, ARs and more were produced at ever greater levels. In fact it was not until after the Clinton Crime bill that ARs came on so strong. They went from Colt and a very few lower receive makers to Colt being the very minority manufacture of the AR. Now every garage that can make a lower makes one. Its a modular gun and you can build one out of parts. My last one is made from a spikes lower and stag upper and some extra parts I had left over form the last one.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:30 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
As far as I' concerned Piers can go back to England if he is so unhappy with our country. Regardless of how I feel about his politics, I can't believe someone would come here nd disrespect our country, our laws, and gun owners as a whole
As far as I'm concerned the gun nuts can leave the country and it will be a better place.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Funny watching Morgan...he melts down when his emo rant is taken apart piece by piece by logical arguments. Poor baby. I thought he was going to stop his little feet on that interview. I have to admit, this is the first time I've watched Pratt in an interview...he is very impressive, and unflappable in spite of all of Morgan's insults and rants. "Thank you for your high level argument"...love it. Morgan makes Limbaugh look like a genius.
So what argument do you think was taken apart piece by piece? How can you argue with Great Britain's 58 gun deaths vs our 12,000?

They used to have a gun problem there and they dealt with it. They banned guns. Now they have 58 gun deaths a years. You can't argue with that point.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:46 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
Right, right. I'm sure Morgan will be run out of town by Sundown.
Ever seen the ratings for his show ? Let night Two and a half Men reruns have a better audience.

CNN needs to get someone who can have an intelligent conversation without just calling names when he disagrees.

He's a fool and no one cares.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:47 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Ever seen the ratings for his show ? Let night Two and a half Men reruns have a better audience.

CNN needs to get someone who can have an intelligent conversation without just calling names when he disagrees.

He's a fool and no one cares.
I care. Deeply

Old 12-20-2012, 07:55 AM

1,137 posts, read 972,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
As far as I'm concerned the gun nuts can leave the country and it will be a better place.

Firearms are the tool that was used to secure your freedom to sit here and type out your idiotic opinions.

How about all leftists go to any number of the European countries that have policies more to their liking?

Theres over 300 million guns in this country, lol. You will never get rid of them.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:07 AM

21,478 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
WHy have any laws then?

Why have laws against speeding if only criminals will speed?

Duh....of course we pass laws knowing full well that some people will break them. It's called a civilized society.

"If we ban guns, then only criminals will have guns".......gee thanks, for basically defining the term "illegal" for us.

We might as well do away with laws against rape and abduction then "if only criminals" will do that then.

Laws don't prevent crime. They're there so we can punish the criminals when they're caught. But there is evidence that guns in the right hands does prevent crime. In fact, our local news had a report this morning about a young black man in the 'hood who shot an intruder who broke into his house. Would it have been better if the intruder was allowed to come in and possibly kill this man's girlfriend and two-year old child?

Of course we have violent crimes in this city, but no where near the amount as Chicago does. I have a feeling it's because criminals here aren't sure who is armed and who isn't. Take the guns away from law-abiding citizens and only criminals and police will have them. And you know when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Outlawing guns in this country couldn't work because there are just too many on the streets. Since this is the case, I'd rather have the option to be able to defend myself. I'm not against closing the gun show loophole, or banning certain types of guns. And school security needs to be improved.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:10 AM

21,478 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
So what argument do you think was taken apart piece by piece? How can you argue with Great Britain's 58 gun deaths vs our 12,000?

They used to have a gun problem there and they dealt with it. They banned guns. Now they have 58 gun deaths a years. You can't argue with that point.

There are 62,000,000 people in Great Britain. We have almost 350,000,000, and we can't even get drugs off our streets or secure our borders. There is absolutely no comparison between the U.S. and Great Britain.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Firearms are the tool that was used to secure your freedom to sit here and type out your idiotic opinions.

How about all leftists go to any number of the European countries that have policies more to their liking?

Theres over 300 million guns in this country, lol. You will never get rid of them.
Your guns secure nothing for me. The nuclear weapons in those submarines is all we need, and those aircraft carriers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies