Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 12:59 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,988,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Hire an armed guard at every government school. Why is that idiotic?
Because the next school shooting is decades away. I mean the last one was before the Great Depression. Even I know that they just are not that common. What we are going to bankrupt the country and require armed guards in every K-12 and middle, junior and high schools? 99.9% of those guards will never fire a shot in anger but they will cost a billion dollars over the next 20 years.

Yes, it will be a very long time before another elemenary school is targeted like Sandy. But the hundred odd men, women and children that are killed daily by firearms will continue apace. I have a problem with that. Gun owners are addicted to their fireamrs. This thread is proof that there isn't any reasoning with them. What about helping the mentally ill instead of trying to figuire out ways of limiting their access to firearms? Cut them off from guns and they will turn to Molotov Cocktails or Pipe Bombs.

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 01:08 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,945,215 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Gun owners are addicted to their fireamrs.
We aren't addicted to fiearms, we are addicted to FREEDOM

Quote:
This thread is proof that there isn't any reasoning with them.
Well we certainly aren't very willing to compromise on liberty, that's for sure.

Quote:
What about helping the mentally ill instead of trying to figuire out ways of limiting their access to firearms? Cut them off from guns and they will turn to Molotov Cocktails or Pipe Bombs.
Are you generalizing about ALL gun owners?

Old 12-26-2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Possibly not the best solution, but far from idiotic. Idiotic is how I would describe the Gun Free School Zone law that turns our public schools into hunting preserves for psychotics.
Schools were turned into gun free zones because the students were bringing guns to school and killing one another! When last, before Sandy, did you hear of anyone armed going into an elementary school and killing children??? Shall we just let anyone who wants to, bring a gun to school?? Who says teachers especially want to be armed?? Why should a teachers job description include "armed security officer?". Teachers are just lowlife, overpaid, wastes of space. Right? Isn't that what you all say. Bust them all down to minimum wage and take away their health benefits? And you want them to willingly take on psychotics armed with assault rifles. Oh the entitlement.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:22 AM

Give it a rest, your FREEDOM is not in jeopardy.

Well we certainly aren't very willing to compromise on liberty, that's for sure.

There are non-lethal ways of exercising your 2nd Amendment rights. Arms doesn't mean guns. Car doesn't mean internal combustion engine. You'd have a hard time convincing an oil company executive of that. You are an indoctrinee of the gun industry. When you shoot someone and you should shoot them if they so much as frighten you from a deep sleep. You should shoot to kill.

Are you generalizing about ALL gun owners?

I am generalizing about the human spirit. We have martial arts because Chinese peasants were prevented by their Totalitarian Government from bearing arms so they made their bodies into lethal weapons. Someone trained in the martial arts can incapacitate, cripple or kill at will. Gun owners are not nearly as good at incapacitating or crippling. They kill, kill, kill. The VAST majority of those killed were not threatening life. Taking a human life is not a trivial undertaking when you have to do it with your bare hands. Guns make it way too easy. And the worry about the mentally ill is misplaced anyway. Far more SANE people have blood on their hands.

H

Old 12-26-2012, 01:44 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,945,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post

Give it a rest, your FREEDOM is not in jeopardy.
Sure it is. Freedom is constantly in jeopardy whether it be the right to bear arms, freedom of speech, property rights, so on and so forth. There is always someone looking to take it away for what could be any number of reasons. We have smoking bans in public places which limits the freedom of private property owners. We have "soda bans" in places like NYC which limits peoples right of choice and it limits free enterprise in the market place.

Freedom is always under attack, don't be fooled. The freedom to keep and bear arms just so happens to be the flavor of the month.

Quote:

There are non-lethal ways of exercising your 2nd Amendment rights. Arms doesn't mean guns.
It absolutely does. Carol Roth said it best when she said, "the second amendment was devised for people to be able to protect themselves with the same type of weaponry used by those from whom they might need protection." If criminals start using butter knives, let me know. Otherwise, the 2nd applies to guns asmuch as any other weapon

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 12-26-2012 at 01:57 AM..

Old 12-26-2012, 05:09 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,792,444 times
Stop the everyone's a winner mentality and the some people are different but must be included mentality. The guns aren't the problem, the people are.

Go back to institutionalizing the mentally deficient and quit making them be mainstreamed where they know on a daily basis and can be frustrated by how different they are from most.

Here is our problem.

It's not the guns, but some of the users.

Bans only keep the honest people honest but does nothing to cure the mentality of the mentally disturbed. Some people are not simply differently abled and should be among society. Some are plain disabled and cannot be among society.

The all inclusive model needs to end.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:14 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,672,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Stop the everyone's a winner mentality and the some people are different but must be included mentality. The guns aren't the problem, the people are.

Go back to institutionalizing the mentally deficient and quit making them be mainstreamed where they know on a daily basis and can be frustrated by how different they are from most.

Here is our problem.

It's not the guns, but some of the users.

Bans only keep the honest people honest but does nothing to cure the mentality of the mentally disturbed. Some people are not simply differently abled and should be among society. Some are plain disabled and cannot be among society.

The all inclusive model needs to end.
I'll add to this that family's often don't have the resources or knowledge to deal with the mentally ill as well. Pushing them off on the family only works if the family knows what they are dealing with, how to deal with it and has the resources to deal with it.

This everybody's a winner and you are special crap has got to stop. That kind of thinking could set off someone who isn't getting the accolades they think they deserve...that they've been taught they deserve. This kind of thinking does not prepare our kids for real life. Life plays favorites. It favors the pretty and the young. There are winners and there are losers. And you need to enter adult life prepared for these facts.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:33 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,374,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
That's the best answer from a gun owner I've seen. You cannot solve the problem tomorrow or next year or in 5 years. But I think we need to start taking first steps.

1) Ban all assault/assault type of weapons. This means the ones that are in existence as well. Turn them in for a check from the government. They are no longer acceptable. One year from now it becomes a felony to have one in your possession.

2) Ban all high ammo clips. No weapon will be able to hold more than 5 or 6 shells. All in existence that do not comply must be altered or destroyed.

3) Hand guns will be carried by people who can pass a criminal and a Psych screening. No one with mentally disturbed people in their houses can possess any kind of a firearm in their residence.

I think that is a good start. At least we are sending a message to the parents of the children in Newtown that we care.

Quote:
At least we are sending a message to the parents of the children in Newtown that we care.

And.....there you have it. This is really what people want. They want to feel good. After they realize that these feel good measures accomplish absolutely nothing what will they want to do then? Hint: criminals and crazy people don't obey laws.....

Old 12-26-2012, 05:34 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,318,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I own 4 (but responsibly) and I also have no faith or trust in our government. I don't think an armed conflict is inevitable, but I do believe that all governments go bad after a while and an unarmed populace will be the losers then with even more death. As much as I respect the police force, they can't be everywhere at once and often are only at a crime scene after the fact and not before. I don't believe guns will protect us all (in every situation), but it gives us the opportunity to defend ourselves. That is all I ask.

You are insane if you think a bunch of fat out of shape middle aged guys are going to defeat the tyranny of the most powerful military force in history.

If governmental power is your fear, then you should vote in politicians who will weaken, the police, the military, etc. Because military force is how tyrannical governments exert power, yet you don't trust the government types ensures that the very politicians you don't trust command the most powerful millitary on earth many times over.

You ensure that the very politicians you don't trust control vast police departments with ever more powerful weapons, and ever more the ability to harrass people.

I honestly can't believe that people invest so much in fantasy beliefs. How can an adult with any ounce of sense, see guns in the hands of civilians as a way to protect us from the might of the US military?

You do know that its not government politicians that you'll be killing in your fantasy? You do realize that you'll be killing police officers, ATF agents, FBI agents, national guard forces, and maybe soldiers.

More nonsense, in your life how many times have you personally used a gun to protect yourself?

I'd say 99% of the population will say 0%, yet the vast overwhelming majority of us aren't victims of crime.

How is that possible? If the gun is the protection then every unarmed citizen would be a victim of crime, every citizen who isn't a vicitim of crime will have used a fire arm in self defense.

Yet that is not how our society actually works.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:10 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,917,273 times
I have not seen one practical solution to anything from GOPers, pro gun or not, for the last 12 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies