Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 09:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
My estimate is 2000-3000 point hit on the stock market as soon as the employment situation reverts back to negative trend, which will happen if we hit the cliff. Lay-offs would be unavoidable, especially in the public sector. Spending cuts = lay-offs. The sell off would start in January and last all year, a slow painful leak in everyone's 401Ks. A lot of people are re-adusting their portfolios in preperation for a bad year in the market.
Then you best move your money from stocks to the stable fund.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 09:57 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Unfortunately for you, the majority of Americans seems to see it quite differently. They see this as yet another GOP move to undermine the president, consequences be damned. Sort of the "the end justifies the means" approach republicans have embraced for a while now.

Somehow, the GOP is under the impression that people will buy into this nonsense and turn on a president who has made any reasonable effort to broker a deal while republicans have basically put up a concrete wall, hoping that Obama would smash his political head in.

Letting the country go over the fiscal cliff is, in their eyes, a blessing because they hope to attach the blame exclusively on Obama. Along the lines of "See what happened under Obama?"

As always, they have been very successful in convincing the gullible members of our nation who lack the ability to peek past their ideological blinders.
Well said.

And when people say they expcted a Mitt Romney presidency, that changes nothing. The Senate is still controlled by the Democrats, and they would not allow this bill to pass, and let's not forget if Romney WERE elected, he isn't even inducted until January 20th, well after this sequestrian goes into effect.

The GOP is playing the blame game of politics, wasting time and stalling hoping the president will cave and not want a black mark on his record, but what they fail to realize is the opinion of the MAJORITY of the American people, who have said in polls that they favor higher taxes on the wealthy as a way to draw down the defecit.

No one honestly thinks raising the top 2%'s taxes will pay down all our debt, but coupled with spending cuts and revenue increases we can draw the defecit down. It's not a one way approach, both measures are required to address this problem. The ball is in the house now, it's their play to save the country and their reputation as well as their own jobs come 2014.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:57 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Then you best move your money from stocks to the stable fund.
Yes, indeed, but the problem is that no one knows if there will be a deal or not.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Actually the Dems will agree to whatever Obama ends up negotiating. They are not nearly as fractured as the GOP.

Ken
Reid has not come out and said so. I'll believe it when I see it myself.

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
It ain't going anywhere without the federal unemployment extension.

3,448 posts, read 3,132,726 times
Update...

Everything is going to be Obama's fault as usual, see here below

'God only knows': Boehner open to renewed fiscal crisis talks, but solution unclear | Fox News

Old 12-21-2012, 09:59 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
So far, their idea of how to play ball seems to amount to "grab the ball, run away with it, and tear it to shreds". Apparently my spaniel taught them their politics.
They grab the ball and kick it over the fence so no one gets to play.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:59 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Default False Sense of Urgency ?

There is nothing here that cannot be addressed in January, retroactive to 1/1/13.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, indeed, but the problem is that no one knows if there will be a deal or not.
Well that's how one does Wall Street trading. You don't wait until AFTER the fact.
That's what the herd does...and we saw how that went over with 401Ks.

I moved my money when the first brokerage went down..Lehman or Bear (I forget which one).
I didn't wait until the crash was "confirmed" like many others did. By then it's too late.

One can always move back to stocks. But it not a bad thing to sit on the sidelines if you think bad times are a coming.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:02 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There is nothing here that cannot be addressed in January, retroactive to 1/1/13.
Obama's hand will always be stronger, but as time passes, the weaker it gets.

The Unemployment Extension is a huge deal for the Democrats. My prediction is once this gets brought to the forefront, the deal gets done more quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies