Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 12:38 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
It's not my theory, lol it's the theory of criminologists in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, Japan, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Austria, Hungary, UK and every other industrialized nation on the planet and it has been proven true in each and every one of these countries. Lol
It is your theory and there is no study that supports your theory and there are contradictions to your therory that you choose to ignore. There are studies, but in every study I have ever read, there's always a disclaimer admitting to the study only shows a causation and other factors could apply. Also if as you stated less guns = less crime, then that fact should always be true no matter is a nation is industrialized or not.

Quote:
IDude, it is true in every other industrialized nation, that's the whole point. Were pretty much the only industrialized nation with guns and embarrassingly high murder rates. Can you connect the dots? Lol

Because the percentage of households with guns has been dropping since 1970s.
ROFL your back tracking now. You said very plainly that less guns in the U.S. equals less crime because there would be less guns for criminals to steal. Now you're trying to cover your stupid statement via a straw man argument lol because, regardless if there are less guns in a "homes", there are still more guns in circulation that, according to you, could be stolen yet our crime rate has been dropping. You conveniently are now trying to dance around this fact by deflecting & cherry picking. The fact is that there's more guns than ever in the U.S., crime has dropped, and approx half the adult population owns a firearm.

Quote:
Correlation does not equal causation, however since nobody can't point out any other cause, and we're talking about countries from different continents and cultures, thus we can rule out geographical or cultural causes, it's safe to assume that relationship between availability of guns vs. crime is not a correlation but causation.

Thanks for playing.
LOL so not you admit to correlation does not equal causation, but then in the very same sentence contradict yourself lol! You just basically just admitted to not knowing or having any proof, so you're going to make an assumption using a correlation equal causation method. Oh and how in the world can you rule out continents and cultures when being raised in a different albeit violent culture could very well be why our gun homicide rate in skewed so much higher than other countries who do not geographical live next to the drug mecca of the world (Mexico) and has a violent inner city culture problem. If the U.S. were to pick up and drop some of the poor inner city drug infested areas in the U.S., then our crime rate would instantly drop regardless of how many guns people own... Think before you post please...

Old 06-04-2014, 12:46 PM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times
The Left hates guns because they believe that Big Government works and Big Gov can take care of you and give you all that you need. There are more and more people believing this today and they line up like sheeple to happily receive their handout
That doesn't sound like America to me but some sort of communist state.
Guns equal freedom. Guns are what made this country GREAT. Put a gun in a the hands of a brave determined individual and group him (or her) together with other good hearty folk and you can change the world. We have done it before.
A gun is an equalizer. A gun brings security to those who have none. A gun empowers the individual and guess what the Left hates it because they want us all to line up like sheeple and be herded around.
That's not the America I believe in.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:47 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Correlation does not equal causation, however since nobody can't point out any other cause, and we're talking about countries from different continents and cultures, thus we can rule out geographical or cultural causes, it's safe to assume that relationship between availability of guns vs. crime is not a correlation but causation.

Thanks for playing.

What do you mean "nobody?" There's a huge cultural difference between the US and other developed countries.

1. Do any other countries have one small percentage of ethnic group committing 40% of total crimes?
2. You forgot to mention Switzerland when guns are highly available but they have extremely low crime.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:25 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Do you have a reading comprehension problem now? I said that In case of England and Wales,were ban on guns resulted in reversing a 50 years old trend in homicides and dropped the rate to 30 years low, nobody can point out any other cause so it's safe to assume that the drop in crime is a result of the ban on guns.

Not anymore. Even though all countries have minorities none of them has a problem with crime anymore.
Gun control took care of it.

Who told you that? ROTFL Let me guess. Faux News? Lol. You guys think you know anything where in fact you're ignorant beyond any belief. Don't take newsletters and newscast for education. Lol

Here Gun politics_ n Switzerland
And here in the US we had the same drop in murder rate and did not outlaw guns.

The truth is that crime is not tied to firearms ownership, and anyone with a little bit of intellectual honesty will say the same. Crime is more linked to socio economic/family indicators, such as graduating high school, growing up in a two parent household and not having a child out of wedlock. But addressing this social problem is very difficult and would require people accepting responsibility for ones actions. Instead it is easier to blame a 2 pound chunk of plastic and steel.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
The truth that many places did, like New York City where I live. Almost half of Americans live now in places that restrict guns.

Ah, that's the truth? You should have said so at the beginning. Wait, there is no supporting evidence, no data, nothing... Are you sure that's the truth and just your wishful thinking?

Well, having a high school education does not preclude one from committing murders, even mass murders. You'd love to believe that homicides in America are mostly gang related and mostly happening in big northern cities but it just ain't true. As a matter of fact northeastern, gun controlling states are much safer than southern gun-loving states.

Here:

Murder Rates Nationally and By State | Death Penalty Information Center
The level that places restrict guns cannot even compare to confiscation that has taken place in other nations.

You should do some reading about how the things I listed correlate with success in life.

And no going high school does not stop someone from murder, someone graduating high school is much less likely to murder someone than someone who does not, same for growing up in a single parent household.

You should not look at murder rate by state, but murder rate my city/county. You'll be surprised where the murders take place (hint, it is not the red counties).

Old 06-04-2014, 02:33 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Do you have a reading comprehension problem now? I said that In case of England and Wales, were the ban on guns resulted in reversing a 50 years old trend in homicides and dropping the homicide rate to 30 years low, nobody can point out any other cause so it's safe to assume that the drop in crime is a result of the ban on guns.

Not anymore. Even though all countries have minorities none of them has a problem with crime anymore.
Gun control took care of it.

Who told you that? ROTFL Let me guess. Faux News? Lol. You guys think you know anything where in fact you're ignorant beyond any belief. Don't take newsletters and newscast for education. Lol

Here Gun politics_ n Switzerland

Gun ownership is at all time high but the crime rate has been dropping in the past 30 years.

Most Americans Believe Crime in U.S. Is Worsening

Since nobody mentioned any other cause, we can safely assume more guns = less violent crimes.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:07 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Gun control works.
Those that have the guns control them. I control my guns and nobody else.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:21 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Only when you move to a deserted island where are no laws and regulations...
You must hate that pesky 2nd Amendment.

I have my guns. I control them and nobody else. I allow no one access to them therefore I control my guns and no one else.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
And our homicide rate can't even compare to those of other industrialized nations.

Instead of telling me what to do you should quote some sources, data, stats. You argue like a redneck.

You're talking about career criminals yet many murders are committed by people with variety of other backgrounds.
Yes, people with PhDs and college professors commit murders too. Lol

Why per county? Gun policies are usually set at the state level...
I bet that my blue state is safer than your red states, unless you live in one of those "2 people per 1000 square miles" states.
So we are starting with racial slurs, you make your fellow democrats so proud.

Some information for you

Incarceration Rates. "Young men who grow up in homes without fathers are twice as likely to end up in jail as those who come from traditional two-parent families...those boys whose fathers were absent from the household had double the odds of being incarcerated -- even when other factors such as race, income, parent education and urban residence were held constant." (Cynthia Harper of the University of Pennsylvania and Sara S. McLanahan of Princeton University cited in "Father Absence and Youth Incarceration." Journal of Research on Adolescence 14 (September 2004): 369-397.)

Behavioral Disorders. 85% of all children that exhibit behavioral disorders come from fatherless homes (Source: What Can the Federal Government Do To Decrease Crime and Revitalize

Educational Attainment. Kids living in single-parent homes or in step-families report lower educational expectations on the part of their parents, less parental monitoring of school work, and less overall social supervision than children from intact families. (N.M. Astore and S. McLanahan, American Sociological Review, No. 56 (1991)

Juvenile Detention Rates. 70% of juveniles in state-operated institutions come from fatherless homes (Source: What Can the Federal Government Do To Decrease Crime and Revitalize Communities?)

Delinquency. Only 13 percent of juvenile delinquents come from families in which the biological mother and father are married to each other. By contract, 33 percent have parents who are either divorced or separated and 44 percent have parents who were never married. (Wisconsin Dept. of Health and Social Services, April 1994).

Criminal Activity. The likelihood that a young male will engage in criminal activity doubles if he is raised without a father and triples if he lives in a neighborhood with a high concentration of single-parent families. Source: A. Anne Hill, June O'Neill, Underclass Behaviors in the United States, CUNY, Baruch College. 19
Statistics on Fatherless Children in America

The funny thing is for every person with a PHD that murders someone their will be scores and scores more who did not graduate high school.

Pro Tip: Criminals are not known for being smart.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:30 PM

864 posts, read 799,938 times
Why are liberals so violent and hungry for welfare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies