Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 09:14 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
This. All the black/white people I've known want to be identified as black. A few years ago I took two girls I'm close to shopping for their Christmas presents. Their father is black and mom is white. They wanted Barbies. I was picking out the dolls by their clothing and kept getting nixed on my choices. Then they said, "We want black dolls only, please." Fine by me. We found black Barbies (in the back of the shelf) and it was a very happy shopping trip. As close as I am to them I'd never thought about how they identify themselves. I learned a lesson.
Yes, fair enough, I can understand why they'd identify more with being black, but I'm also sure that there is pressure from the black community not to 'betray' them by identifying as white.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:23 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,784,543 times
All I know is probably 95-100% of Half black student applicants will mark "African American" on their school/ scholarship application.

We all know the reason why.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:49 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
All I know is probably 95-100% of Half black student applicants will mark "African American" on their school/ scholarship application.

i would if it would help me.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:46 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's because whites and white features are the 'default race'. You're so used to whiteness, that you don't see it as different, so the mixed race/bi-racial person's 'blackness' will stand out. A black person from the ghetto will more likely see the 'white' features in that same person, and might say the opposite. But yes, darkness is more obvious than lightness. In White-Asian pairings sometimes the white part dominates and that person can look almost all white.
In the US; agreed. In most African countries; it'd be "Black" as the default so Barack Obama would be "mixed" and Mariah Cary would be a white woman.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:50 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Yes, fair enough, I can understand why they'd identify more with being black, but I'm also sure that there is pressure from the black community not to 'betray' them by identifying as white.
"Betrayal" wouldn't be the issue. More like reality. Even if you are half white (see Barack Obama) people are going to see you as black, in the US, so you need to be prepared for that reality).

This is one of the best Dave Chappelle skits ever:
The Racial Draft - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Old 12-23-2012, 03:33 PM

123 posts, read 192,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post

Don't believe the hype. It does not always help (sometimes I wonder if it hurts).

Old 12-23-2012, 07:01 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The simple answer is that it is complicated.

society as a whole seems to run with the one drop rule.
Historically it's White Americans that have not accepted bi-racial people as "White". The rationale behind this is there is no way White Americans could create a system where they could be socially, politically or economically dominant if people of other races were in any way seen as "equal" to White Americans.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:06 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I think people who are half once race and half another have the option of identifying as they choose. Just as people with dual passports have the choice of nationality. Anyone who identifies those people against that persons chosen identity is just being a racist, or passportationist, or liberal or something.

I mean, if Bill Clinton was the first black president then who's to say what 0'Bomba is. There's much better ways to describe him than in simple racial or nationalistic terms.
It's one thing to choose to identify with a certain race.

It's quite another for that particular race to accept that identity.

A substantial number of White Americans would NEVER accept Barack Obama as White.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:26 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,839,638 times
It just depends on what you look like.

Half-black is not white, so you would be considered black.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:39 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times
Quote:
Absolutely true. Some will deny it, but there is a form of shaming and/or pressure in the black community for people of mixed and biracial ancestry to tow the line. Their rational for their belief is they to "could be a victim of racism." It's a scare tactic to some extent. Tiger Woods for example caught a lot of flack simply for not identifying himself as "black"...many felt betrayed by that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.