Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 11:10 AM

768 posts, read 880,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
There is actually a name for a lower class, bottom dwellers in British society that vote and support Tories.

They kiss rich elite's butts, and trash their own government services. I had heard they were almost extinct. Ring a bell?
realists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 02:11 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,657,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That is another major problem with Social Security -- you don't have to have had worked much at all in order to collect it -- 40 quarters which amounts to just 10 years. Many Americans work for 40 or 50 years before retiring but all that is required is 10 short years.

One way to save social security would be to require at least 40 years of working and paying into it before retiring and receiving a check. Or those who worked fewer than 40 years should be given a much lower social security check than someone who paid in 45 years.
They are. To qualify you need 40 quarters. But your social security payment is based on your average salary over something like 35 years I believe. So if you only worked 10 years out of 40 you would get the minimum social security payment.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:19 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,472,453 times
This thread epitomizes the stupidity of attacking old people who have contributed to our society. A $48 billion deficit is a drop in the bucket to a $16 trillion dollar debt.

As I have been saying for awhile, the cause of our debt stems to Republican policies; the Bush tax cuts, waging wars, and deregulating the financial sector that crashed the global economy.

Who do the GOP attack and blame? Old people. It makes me sick to my stomach, especially as Dems continue in this perverse groove and offer the elderly on a butcher block.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:24 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,464,216 times
So disabled people should die instead of collecting what they paid in to?

Old 12-29-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
This thread epitomizes the stupidity of attacking old people who have contributed to our society. A $48 billion deficit is a drop in the bucket to a $16 trillion dollar debt.

As I have been saying for awhile, the cause of our debt stems to Republican policies; the Bush tax cuts, waging wars, and deregulating the financial sector that crashed the global economy.

Who do the GOP attack and blame? Old people. It makes me sick to my stomach, especially as Dems continue in this perverse groove and offer the elderly on a butcher block.
The funny thing is that "old people" tend to vote Republican more than Democrat, and they also dominate the "tea party".

Old 12-29-2012, 02:39 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,548,574 times
Well - disability is not just for old people. In my line of work and the area in which I service - over half the households I talk to are unemployed. All collect some type of social security disability. They have headaches, a bad back, anxiety, depression, you name it.

Do all of these folks deserve to collect SSI for any extended period of time? I do not think so and I'm a democrat.

I see people scamming the system all the time. Funnily enough - they aren't all Democrats.

I do get frustrated with them. I have headaches too; allergies; sinus infections; neck pain; back pain ~ but I STILL GO TO WORK.

We Dems must admit - there are some people who just do not want to work. All? No. The vast majority? Maybe not.

Could that number be slashed significantly if we cracked down? Think so.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:41 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,425,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post

No. Medicare and Social Security are democratic policies. The crime isn't the programs it's the lies surrounding the true cost of the programs.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The funny thing is that "old people" tend to vote Republican more than Democrat, and they also dominate the "tea party".
Average age is 53 for those receiving disability payments, hardly "old people".

Old 12-29-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well - disability is not just for old people. In my line of work and the area in which I service - over half the households I talk to are unemployed. All collect some type of social security disability. They have headaches, a bad back, anxiety, depression, you name it.

Do all of these folks deserve to collect SSI for any extended period of time? I do not think so and I'm a democrat.

I see people scamming the system all the time. Funnily enough - they aren't all Democrats.

I do get frustrated with them. I have headaches too; allergies; sinus infections; neck pain; back pain ~ but I STILL GO TO WORK.

We Dems must admit - there are some people who just do not want to work. All? No. The vast majority? Maybe not.

Could that number be slashed significantly if we cracked down? Think so.
There would still be the problem of finding jobs for all these sickly people. And helping them keep them despite probable frequent absences due to illness. That's the problem as I see it. Someone with headaches, could they work some days of the week or most of the month? Most likely. But is any employer going to keep an employee who calls in sick to work about every 2 weeks. Or has to leave work early frequently. Is any employer even going to hire someone who has a resume full of job firings and frequent gaps between jobs. Whether it was due to illness or not, most employers pass on that type of job applicant.

And my thought also is that a lot of these people could work out of their homes if they had office jobs, but so very few employers offer flexibility in this regard despite the fact that performance could be proven with output etc. If there's anything that the department of vocational rehabilitation should be doing, it's partnering with business to allow more working from home, so that disabled people could actually support themselves.!

Old 12-29-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Average age is 53 for those receiving disability payments, hardly "old people".
That's why I put 'old people' in quotes. My point was that it is people who are either retired or nearing retirement who apparently support the tea party, and they vote Republican more than Democrat. But those are the very entities that are seeking to change Medicare and cut social security. So I don't get it.

And I'm not saying all middle-aged or older people are conservative, but when you see tea party meetings on TV it's mostly older white-haired people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies