Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 08:50 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,386,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
The post was edited to reflect 1/5th. the norway murder rate including all their citizens is .6 per 100,000

The USA white offender murder rate is 4.5 or 5 depending on the year. Likely went down recently. So

1/5th is a conservative estimate.

What sort of argument style is this? Hitting yourself in the head with a hammer fewer times than the idiot next to you means you are exceptionally bright? 21 years for mass murder is idiotic in it of itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 08:56 AM

13,512 posts, read 17,049,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWS View Post
Doesnt Japan have the death penalty and low murder rates...

The difference is in Japan (and to an extent Norway) society is self policing. Shame still exists, honour still exists and society is somewhat cohesive, with community spirit. You see it here in england too. When a little girl went missing in rural wales, the community came together and looked for her for weeks. In selfish London, no one gives a damn when a child goes missing.

American society is corrupt, balkanized and selfish. No one gives a damn about what family honour means.
And what's funny is that those societies are less religious than the US, but every other right wing nut keeps saying that Lanza happened because there is no prayer in schools and other nonsense.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:57 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,944,611 times
The reason that the Death Penalty doesn't truly work in this country has less to do with the punishment and more to do with the legal system. You can be convicted of Death and still sit on Death Row for years while appealing and appealing away.

Tried, convicted, you have 90 days to appeal. On day 91 you are dead. Simple and extend that to 3 time violent felons, multiple (2+) convicted child molesters and violent rapists.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:21 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,823,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
How about you stop cherry picking points to argue?

Sure, judges are easily "hoodwinked"....

The difference between Charles Manson being refused parole and Andreas Brevik is apples and oranges.

I clearly pointed out the differences by which court judge are appointed in both countries and their philosophies in rehabilitation.
Cherry picking that your initial post was utterly wrong and that you've been trying to run away comparing the two cotries ever since it got pointed out to you that Norway gets better results?

And your basis for thinking judges are easily hoodwinked is? I mean on one hand we have the crime stats of two countries, on the other hand we have the word of one guy on the interntet who say they are easily hoodwinked, but don't back that up.

You keep saying that Charles Manson to Breivik is not a good analogy, yet Ive presented an argument for it in fact being a pretty fair analogy. Are you going to present an argument, or is it going to be another u-turn?

Speaking of which, have you made up your mid yet? Is Norway and the USA comparable?

Old 12-27-2012, 09:40 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,917,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
Cherry picking that your initial post was utterly wrong and that you've been trying to run away comparing the two cotries ever since it got pointed out to you that Norway gets better results?
Norway gets better results because there's less criminals going for murder to begin with.

They are still releasing drug addicts that go into society and stay drug addicts... and that is fine. I have no problem with that. If the US did that with ending the war on drugs... they would also probably drastically lower the murder rate.

The bottom line is this... Lanza would have seen the street in Norway after his crime.

Quote:
And your basis for thinking judges are easily hoodwinked is? I mean on one hand we have the crime stats of two countries, on the other hand we have the word of one guy on the interntet who say they are easily hoodwinked, but don't back that up.
I think the problem is the terminology you are using..

"Hoodwinked" assumes that a person is fooled... in this case Brevins fooling a judge into being "sane". Well, who knows? That isn't what I am arguing here.

What I AM arguing (a premise which you have ignored....AGAIN) is that the philosophy that Norway and it's a-alikes hold is that criminals CAN be rehabilitated and released back into society. So they place emphasis on this.

Combined with the FACT that judges in Norway hold a lifetime seat and do not have to play politics to to be reelected...means two things...

They tend to lean towards reconciliation AND will clear somebody without a thought to consequence in the event of recidivism... Because there is no consequence

Quote:
You keep saying that Charles Manson to Breivik is not a good analogy, yet Ive presented an argument for it in fact being a pretty fair analogy. Are you going to present an argument, or is it going to be another u-turn?
It's not a good analogy....based on what I presented to you above (which was already presented in the thread previously.....)

If I felt the urgency to make you drink any further....I'd have to drown you.

Quote:
Speaking of which, have you made up your mid yet? Is Norway and the USA comparable?
No they aren't...

Now, what is your point?

Old 12-27-2012, 09:59 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,215,541 times
Quote:
He would have gotten 21 years.....at the max

Norway Shooter Anders Breivik Smiles at 21 Year Prison Sentence - ABC News

Life imprisonment in Norway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

James Holmes right now is thinking... "Dammit, I should have moved to Norway!!"
Breivik will never be a free man.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:03 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,917,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Breivik will never be a free man.
Your assumption is as good as mine.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,551,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWS View Post
What about all the other variables. Apart from Oslo, there are no really big cities in Norway. Sure there are other cities, but they'd be considered pretty small by american standards...Rural areas tend to have lower crime after all, big cities, not so much, regardless of racial demographics.
For petty crime, probably. For violent crime, particularly murder, not necessarily.

In 2011 the white murder rate (by victim) per 100k in Chicago was 2.4, New York City was 1.6, and United States as a whole 3.3. Oslo is far lower than any of these.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:51 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,823,810 times
Quote:
Norway gets better results because there's less criminals going for murder to begin with.
By any measure, that is a better result!

Quote:
The bottom line is this... Lanza would have seen the street in Norway after his crime.
Nope. He'd have had the same chance of seeing the streets as Charles Manson do. I don't know what makes this so hard to comprehend for you.

Quote:
"Hoodwinked" assumes that a person is fooled... in this case Brevins fooling a judge into being "sane". Well, who knows? That isn't what I am arguing here.

What I AM arguing (a premise which you have ignored....AGAIN) is that the philosophy that Norway and it's a-alikes hold is that criminals CAN be rehabilitated and released back into society. So they place emphasis on this.

Combined with the FACT that judges in Norway hold a lifetime seat and do not have to play politics to to be reelected...means two things...

They tend to lean towards reconciliation AND will clear somebody without a thought to consequence in the event of recidivism... Because there is no consequence?
There is no consequence of releasing an unrepentant mass murderer into the population? Have you thought that one through at all?

And clearly, the fact that there are laws ensuring that Breivik has to convince a panel of judges that he is not dangerous any more demonstrates that the philosphy of Norway incorprates the fact that not every criminal can be rehabilitated. I mean, you are arguing the existence of a setup that clearly doesn't exist. He got a sentence that shows that its considered probable that hell never be fit for release.

In any case, it seems you are under the impression that appointed judges will have the final word. Do you know anything about how these things are decided?

Quote:
No they aren't...[comparable]

Now, what is your point?
But you made a thread comparing the two. The title of the thread is "If Adam Lanza lived in Norway..." Suddenly they are not comparable when it turns out that Norway gets better results?

Anyway, if Adam Lanza lived in Norway, the notion that he could get a gun wouldn't have occurred to him, and he would have ended up throwing rocks at the school or some other release of rage. Provided the school system didn't pick him up sooner. You probably wanted something like "if he commited his crime in Norway."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies