Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 08:41 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,186,121 times

Advertisements

This guy was also a convicted murderer. How the f*** he got out is beyond me.

I don't want to hear anything about firearms on this one.

The system let out a brutal killer AND his neighbor commits a felony in a straw purchase.

Guns didn't have anything to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 08:41 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
That's already law. I would do it within 8 hours or less if it were me.
Absolutely but that assumes you know it was stolen and there lies the issue no matter which side of the argument you're on.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:43 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Damn it I think we need a Lying Ban.

Where's the *******s calls for that?

Old 12-29-2012, 08:53 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,186,121 times
Check this out guys.

I was going to put it in the Reagan thread.

That crazy bastard nearly killed the POTUS.

They let him out now.

WTF?? WTF??

He was allowed to leave the hospital for supervised visits with his parents in 1999, and longer unsupervised releases in 2000.[3] These privileges were revoked when he was found to have smuggled materials about Foster back into the hospital. Hinckley was later allowed supervised visits during 2004 and 2005. Court hearings were held in September 2005 on whether he could have expanded privileges to leave the hospital. Some of the testimony during the hearings centered on whether Hinckley is capable of having a normal relationship with a woman and, if not, whether that would have any bearing on what danger he would pose to society.
On December 30, 2005, a federal judge ruled that Hinckley would be allowed visits, supervised by his parents, to their home in Williamsburg, Virginia. The judge ruled that Hinckley could have up to three visits of three nights and then four visits of four nights, each depending on the successful completion of the last. All of the experts who testified at Hinckley's 2005 conditional release hearing, including the government experts, agreed that his depression and psychotic disorder were in full remission and that he should have some expanded conditions of release.
After Hinckley requested further freedoms including two one-week visits with his parents, as well as a month-long visit, U.S. District Judge, Paul L. Friedman, denied that request on Wednesday, June 6, 2007; he did not deny the request out of a concern that Hinckley was not ready.[clarification needed]
On June 17, 2009, a Federal judge ruled that Hinckley would be given the ability to visit his mother for a dozen visits of ten days at a time, rather than six, spend more time outside of the hospital, and have a driver's license.[17] The court also ordered that Hinckley be required to carry a GPS-enabled cell phone to track him whenever he was outside of his parent's home, and he was forbidden to speak to the news media.[17] This was done over the objections of the prosecutors who said that he was still a danger to others and had unhealthy and inappropriate thoughts about women. Records show that he has had sexual relations with two women, one who was married for a long time and another who has bipolar disorder. Hinckley recorded a song titled "Ballad of an Outlaw", which the prosecutors claim is "reflecting suicide and lawlessness."[18]
It was reported in March 2011 that a forensic psychologist at the hospital had testified that "Hinckley has recovered to the point that he poses no imminent risk of danger to himself or others."[17] Hinckley returned to court in the spring of 2011 for further direction,[17] and was granted additional family visits in May 2011.[19] On November 30, 2011, a hearing began in Washington to determine Hinckley's future.[20]

Old 12-30-2012, 01:58 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I agree that she should be charged and held accountable in accordance with the law. However, I don't know enough about the law to say I flat out agree with it. Say this man stole the firearms, either from a stranger or relative, how does this law take that into account?
It depends how the guns were secured. If they are safely secured and still get stolen, and end up being used in a crime, then I don't think you should be charged. But I don't think guns should just be left lying around so that kids or others can get to them. If you don't secure your gun properly, and someone swipes it and uses it in a crime, yes I think you should be fined or be put on probation.

Too many people "lend" their guns to relatives or boyfriends who are felons and would otherwise not be able to obtain a gun. If you do that, you should be held liable when that gun is used in violent crime.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:59 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
This guy was also a convicted murderer. How the f*** he got out is beyond me.

I don't want to hear anything about firearms on this one.

The system let out a brutal killer AND his neighbor commits a felony in a straw purchase.

Guns didn't have anything to do with it.
Guns had everything to do with it. He wouldn't have been able to take out 2 firemen with a knife or a bat.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:05 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,616 times
Here ladies and gentlemen is the challenge:

PROVE she knew he was convicted felon and PROVE she purchased the weapons for him.

All she has to say is: "I bought the firearms for own personal use and my next door neighbor asked to borrow them to go to the range. He said he wanted to shoot one first, to see if he liked it, before he bought his own. I've known him for years. I had no clue he had been in prison. He never mentioned to me he liked to kill people."

There is no law you have to run a background check on someone, before you loan them your firearms, car, etc. I'm betting, unless she already confessed to the purchase for him, if you follow this story, the case will be dropped or she plea bargins it down to nothing.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:10 PM

46,311 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Guns had everything to do with it. He wouldn't have been able to take out 2 firemen with a knife or a bat.
So the guy had nothing to do with it?

Guns are an inadament object, until someone uses them....

Old 12-30-2012, 08:57 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Here ladies and gentlemen is the challenge:

PROVE she knew he was convicted felon and PROVE she purchased the weapons for him.

All she has to say is: "I bought the firearms for own personal use and my next door neighbor asked to borrow them to go to the range. He said he wanted to shoot one first, to see if he liked it, before he bought his own. I've known him for years. I had no clue he had been in prison. He never mentioned to me he liked to kill people."

There is no law you have to run a background check on someone, before you loan them your firearms, car, etc. I'm betting, unless she already confessed to the purchase for him, if you follow this story, the case will be dropped or she plea bargins it down to nothing.
And therein lies my issue with the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies