Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 12:18 PM

18,409 posts, read 19,031,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
I thank you for both your honesty and your courage. I was unfortunate enough to have been courted by a gay man, who I loved unconditionally. When he did finally let me know his orientation, he blamed me for having fallen in love with him in the first place. This was very painful for me. . . we did, eventually, heal our "friendship", but I could not help but feel sorry for him. . . he hated himself for being who he was, and yet he was one of the finest people I have ever met!

he hated himself for not having the courage to be who he was in the first place

Old 01-06-2013, 12:19 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
He was intentionally vague - the phrasing made it seem as if at one time California had legislated and placed into statue the validity of gay marriage. We have not.

Instead we have striven to defend marriage - even by amending our own state constitution - which was struck down by a gay judge who should have recused himself for conflict of interest - thereby circumventing the clear voice of the people.

I am opposed to one man having that kind of power.

There was a man in Germany during the 1930's and 1940's who had such dictatorial power...
He wasn't vague at all. He offered a very clear statement of fact (which you incorrectly disputed):

"At one point in time same-sex couple in California could get legally married"

How does the "intentionally vague" phrasing make it seem that California legislated the legality of gay marriage? I don't see where this statement - or any other statement in his post - addresses or even remotely implies how gay marriage became legal in California.

And your legislature did vote to legalize gay marriage, correct??

Old 01-06-2013, 12:20 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,580 times
Quote:
Another mischaracterization.

What rights are you being denied, and how am I depriving you of them?

The gay army can never adequately answer this question, because doing so requires an entire abandonment of logic and common sense.
My partner and I own a home. I own a business and pay taxes. My partner works a parttime job while going to school to get his accounting degree and license. Tax time comes, you pay a lot less taxes than we do.

If he goes to the hospital, I have no visitation rights. If anything happens to either one of us, the other's family could take everything away. It's happened to someone we know.

There are thousands of rights that come with marriage. They've been there all along for you so you take it for granted. For people like us, we are reminded every day of the benefits that other people have by being straight but we don't have because we're not.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
The first part is as serious as they are, A.K.A. serious but laughable.

The second, yeah, that's serious, unfortunately. You can see it in this thread (you did mention you missed some, remember?).
It still doesn't fit what you said. In addition to forcing NYJew to participate in a gay marriage, are they also wanting to ban NYJew from having either a straight or Jewish marriage? You did say these gay militants both wanted rights and that they also wanted to ban their opponents from having those rights.

And which people want to force this upon NYJew? Could you please provide me with the post numbers so I can read them? Thanks.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:25 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
I thank you for both your honesty and your courage. I was unfortunate enough to have been courted by a gay man, who I loved unconditionally. When he did finally let me know his orientation, he blamed me for having fallen in love with him in the first place. This was very painful for me. . . we did, eventually, heal our "friendship", but I could not help but feel sorry for him. . . he hated himself for being who he was, and yet he was one of the finest people I have ever met!
I have a friend whose parents both came out in their 40's. Her father and mother married each other straight out of high school because they lived in the south and that's what was expected of them. Later in their lives they realized they were more attracted to the same sex. They mutually came out and stayed married just cuz. The father is now partnered with another man while the mom is dating a woman. This story at least has a happy ending.

I know of many stories that ended tragically because the homosexual individuals "decided" to be straight to conform with society's expectations.

Fortunately for me, I knew very early on and decided not to put any woman through the pain of falling in love with a man who eventually turned out to be gay. My partner (aka honey) was the same way. Fortunately, we found each other.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:27 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
And your legislature did vote to legalize gay marriage, correct??
You do like to be misleading don't you?

Yes - the legislature did, and the bill was vetoed by the governor - whom is also an elected official.

All "legal" same sex marriage justifications in California have come from activist judges.

I never said that the legislature didn't vote as such - I did say that gay marriage was never legalized by the legislative process - which requires concurrence of the governor.

You can't fool me.

Work on telling the whole story.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:29 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
No it does not need to change, what needs to change is laws banning us marriage. That is all, it does not change your marriage one bit for two men or two women to marry. It is still marriage.

Homosexuals are not banned from marriage.

They may marry a member of the opposite sex just like heterosexuals.

Marriage is defined in most states as a union between one unrelated man and one unrelated woman.

There is no provision in that definition for same-sex couples to wed.

Since marriage defines the union between one man and one woman and further joins their biological offspring to them, the unique institution of marriage should not be altered in a way that allows anyone with a particular sexual inclination to redefine marriage to also include that, whatever that might be.

Explain to me why people as creative and clever as homosexuals tend to be haven't simply invented their own defined permanent sexual unions along with a name for these unions.

Do that and I just don't see any sort of opposition to equal benefits and requirements becoming part of these unions.

The fight has been and still is over the word marriage because that word potentially uses the power of the state to crush dissenting opinion on homosexuality.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
My partner and I own a home. I own a business and pay taxes. My partner works a parttime job while going to school to get his accounting degree and license. Tax time comes, you pay a lot less taxes than we do.

If he goes to the hospital, I have no visitation rights. If anything happens to either one of us, the other's family could take everything away. It's happened to someone we know.

There are thousands of rights that come with marriage. They've been there all along for you so you take it for granted. For people like us, we are reminded every day of the benefits that other people have by being straight but we don't have because we're not.
To be fair, if you guys go to a hospital that in any way accepts federal funds, then you do have visitation rights. Obama made that a requirement for any hospital that wishes to bill Medicare or Medicaid.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
You do like to be misleading don't you?

Yes - the legislature did, and the bill was vetoed by the governor - whom is also an elected official.

All "legal" same sex marriage justifications in California have come from activist judges.

I never said that the legislature didn't vote as such - I did say that gay marriage was never legalized by the legislative process - which requires concurrence of the governor.

You can't fool me.

Work on telling the whole story.
If you want to be a lawyer, you need to pay attention to minute details of language. I'm helping you in your path to the law.

And again, you're misusing "whom," it should be "who."

Old 01-06-2013, 12:33 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
If you want to be a lawyer, you need to pay attention to minute details of language. I'm helping you in your path to the law.

And again, you're misusing "whom," it should be "who."
"Whom" is correct - I only neglected to use "was" after that word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies