Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 01:46 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,982,141 times

Advertisements

Yes patient zero! Not just HIV/Aids and primates in Africa but perhaps the next pandemic - slaughterhouse in Asia birds, various mamalia etc etc etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
And here's my big take-home message learned from our experience with HIV/AIDS: it's a really bad idea for humans to hunt and eat other primates.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:52 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,566,871 times
you added a key word I don't think anybody in world would agree to
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Put this way - if god only wanted to punish gays for their behaviour, only gays would acquire hiv
Quote:
ok so now you watered things down from overall or absolute rates to proportional rates..... sliding slope eh??
I'm not watering things down you didn't understand what I said the first times

Old 01-06-2013, 01:53 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,566,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I will throw this out there. I'm amazed that when people discuss HIV/AIDS in the US gay community you rarely see any mention or discussion of drugs. HIV/AIDS in the gay community goes hand-in-hand with drug abuse - primarily meth. The two are inseparable.
Liberalsare in favor of that too

Old 01-06-2013, 01:56 AM

14,916 posts, read 13,139,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
Liberalsare in favor of that too
In favor of what? If you're talking about meth use, you're nuts. I've never, ever seen a liberal who's in favor of meth usage or the legalization of meth.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:16 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,141,583 times
edited

Old 01-06-2013, 08:22 AM

3,086 posts, read 5,372,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Sorry, you're going to have to get off of that one. For at least some out there it IS a choice. If you want to be beholden solely to your biological impulses then I guess that's your choice (SEE?) and you have a right to it, but don't presume to restrict the entire human race as you've chosen to restrict yourself. As I told that **** NY Jew guy, you have sovereignty over your OWN life, but you are required to grant others the same sovereignty over theirs: you don't get to tell them how to live their lives.

so tell me, when did YOU decide to be straight rather than gay? I know I Never made that decision and BTW, I am "straight"

Old 01-06-2013, 08:36 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,634,926 times
It's amazing how many people are threatened by the thought of societal acceptance of gays in general, much less gay marriage.

It's also amazing how many people are threatened by the existence of religion, except that it's also amazing how many religious people are threatened by the absence of religion.

Quote:
The Constitution is worthless outside of it's original context. You want to change it make amendments.
One might say the same to you. You seem to want to ignore certain parts in there rather than amending it.

Quote:
I have no clue what you just asked?

I said constitutionally a state can (even after the 14th amendment) require everyone to choose a religion as long as the state doesn't put demands on any religion and allows people to change religions. In other words I think the state has the power to ban public expression of atheism. (The first amendment only means freedom of political speech)

this does not mean I think it would be a good policy.
Here's an example. The First Amendment protects ALL speech, not just political speech. Nowhere in the Constitution does it say that "Freedom of Speech" is restricted only to political speech. Nowhere does it say the free exercise of religion presupposes that one MUST choose a religion to exercise. They were very aware of aethiests and free-thinkers during the 1700s, so it's not like they didn't account for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head.

What makes this thread so entertaining is that we are hearing the last gasp of the anti-gay bigot dinosaurs. They are out of touch with reality, and they are desperately trying to justify and legitimize their hatred and bigotry. Let them rant and rave.

This thread started on the topic of same-sex marriage. I will bring it back to same-sex marriage. It is becoming a fact in more and more places, and things have really accelerated since November when the majority of voters passed Marriage Equality in three states: Maine, Washington, and Maryland; and the majority of voters turned down an anti-Marriage Equality amendment in Minnesota.

Now here is what is happening in a few more states: in Illinois, the state Senate committee approved a bill to legalize same-sex marriage, a full vote was postponed this week but it will come to a full vote after the new legislators are sworn in (the Democrats have commanding majorities in both houses). In Rhode Island, a bill to legalize same-sex marriage has been formally introduced into both houses. In New Jersey, the state legislature has already passed Marriage Equality, but it was vetoed by the Governor who wants it to be put on the ballot. The NJ legislature has to early 2014 to override the veto. Campaigns are now underway to legalize same-sex marriage in other states such as Hawai'i, Delaware, and Minnesota. If the Supreme Court rules to overturn California's "Prop 8" then same-sex marriage will be legal once again in the nation's most populous state.
DOMA is a problem, because it technically overrides the rights of the several states in this case. Unless it's repealed it's going to have to go to the Supreme Court at some point. Obama isn't enforcing the law but the next President might choose to do so. Might be wise to think about how to deal with that. Simply ignoring DOMA isn't going to make it go away. And even though it's probably unconstitutional doesn't guarantee that it'll get struck down, not these days....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Freedom of religion also means freedom to choose or not. One does not have to have a religion, nor does one have to believe in a god. Religion is not mandatory.
Absolutely correct. There are many belief systems that don't have God or a god-figure. Buddhism, Shintoism, the Native American animistic belief systems, and many more. Perhaps our friend NY Jew doesn't believe in those either?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
so tell me, when did YOU decide to be straight rather than gay? I know I Never made that decision and BTW, I am "straight"
When a gay person came on to me I made that decision (perhaps it would be more accurate to say that I "confirmed" my straightness to that point). I have a friend who made a decision to go from straight to gay after enduring two divorces. People clearly CAN make conscious decisions regarding this if they choose to. Not necessarily that they HAVE to or ALL of them do but people CAN do so. That is the point. I realize the gay movement generally doesn't like that fact or want to believe that fact because they think it hurts their argument. I really don't care because frankly there's no argument to be had: what exists exists and needs no justification or argument.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:52 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,524,507 times
Quote:
I never said that
go look at the stats and then talk.

in every single country men who have gay relations have disproportionate rates of AIDS. That is not up for debate I can give you stats for people who admit to having gay relations and people who got AIDS from gay relations and the later is always higher.

please explain to me why in Western Europe gays are slightly under 50% of all sexualy transmitted AIDS cases? The only way you can claim that AIDS in Western Europe is not uniquely connected to gays if you claim that gay men are almost half the population.
You did say what was quoted. You need to be corrected on one thing. It is HIV that is passed on from person to person. AIDS is acquired immune deficiency syndrome and is not passed on but a last stage of HIV. It does not matter how you say it, HIV is still a human disease spread by humans, not a gay disease. Straight people spread it to straight people.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
It does to us whom aspire to practice the law in the interest of proctecting the actual rights of citizens.
You are not looking to protect rights, you are striving to prevent us from getting our rights, rights that you get automatically for just being straight. It is who, not whom.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
that's AIDS is disproportionately found gays.

I didn't say it was only found amongst gays or you can only get it as a std.
an analogy
gay relations will cause AIDS like smoking causes lung cancer
Wrong, having gay sex will not give you HIV, it is HIV, not AIDS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies