Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 03:10 PM

657 posts, read 695,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So you grandfather became a Republican because he doesn't like the gays? Guess that makes sense, the Republicans like to prop up that mentality.
Are we all forced to like gays now? What's the issue with that if that's his wish?

I'm sure you like things i dont like and vice versa..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
If one party controls all branches of government when the **** hits the fan (coming soon) it won't after the next election.

8,560 posts, read 11,217,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The pendulum swings back and forth.

Wait until 2014 and the economy is still sinking.
And *******s realize they won't be getting that new 2% payroll deduction back in a tax refund.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:12 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,225,911 times
Only a total dumba$$ thinks there's any difference between Republicans & Democrats. They are 2 parts of our one party system. America as it was and was set up to be, is dead.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,258,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
Only a total dumba$$ thinks there's any difference between Republicans & Democrats. They are 2 parts of our one party system. America as it was and was set up to be, is dead.
Its seeming more and more like it. For all the hooplah and division that stems from social issues every election cycle, when each party is in power they do just enough to have "thrown a bone" to their base. While Americans are caught up heatedly debating same-sex marriage and contraceptives, our government takes more and more of our freedoms out from under us.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:17 PM

513 posts, read 581,194 times
As spineless and unprincipled as the Republicans may be, believe me they're far from dead. While it's true that 50% of the voting public would follow the liberal Democrats off a cliff, the real reason the Republicans lost was because they threw the election. As sure as I'm sitting here, Mitt Romney was a fall guy, much like McCain was in 08. Mitt Romney, himself never even wanted to be President, one of his sons said so.

Despite being a fall guy, Romney still garnered ~47% of the popular vote. Republicans still have the House of Representatives. At the state level, Republicans control 30 governorships, 28 lower houses, and 30 upper houses. The party is far from dead. The only reason Republicans keep losing Presidential elections is because they keep putting up RINO candidates. If they were serious about winning an election and put up principled conservatives, they would wipe the floor with the Democrats.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:20 PM

657 posts, read 695,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Its seeming more and more like it. For all the hooplah and division that stems from social issues every election cycle, when each party is in power they do just enough to have "thrown a bone" to their base. While Americans are caught up heatedly debating same-sex marriage and contraceptives, our government takes more and more of our freedoms out from under us.
Some sanity..

Amazing our economy and finances are a mess, and the best people can think of is the items you mentioned above. And yes, freedoms are being taken and the liberal media is in on it. Look at the gun debate (you are against guns, you are good), debt (you are for, you are good), spending (you are for you are good), and it keeps going and going.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:21 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
If one party controls all branches of government when the **** hits the fan (coming soon) it won't after the next election.
I think what you say is realistic but you also have to hope that ensuing elections will be more like they were intended to be when the Constitution was written. I don't think the last one was like that in too many areas of the country. I believe we have come to the place where we will either have people prove their citizenship to vote or the elections will become more and more controlled.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:24 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You can't have a fair media when they are for profit.

This is actually a detrimental flaw of democracy. Once the mass figure out they can vote their way into the public treasury, it is game over.
The media has always been a for profit enterprise from America's very first news sheets. And our voters have always tried to find ways to tap into the public largesse in some fashion or another from the beginning as well.

Somehow though, democracy has managed to persevere despite the presence of both.

Is there any evidence that Americans have ever favored a dictatorship? If there is, I can't think of any. Our two party system seems to be strong enough to prevent a dictatorship from ever happening, and I don't see anyone who is willing to live under a dictatorship now at all. Our forefathers sure didn't either, and they had several opportunities to give all the hassles of democracy up for life in a dictatorship.

Our political parties have a way of morphing to match the times and still hold to a few basic principles. Both have gotten very distorted in the past, but eventually both have self-cleansed.

Neither are the same as they were in my youth, and I voted for the first time in 1968. it always takes time, but they always come around. I don't expect any difference in that ability in the future.

And, if the Democrats are all bleeding hearts, a dictatorship under their control would be quite gentle, benevolent, and wussy, wouldn't it?

Old 01-05-2013, 03:26 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,293,968 times
Schadenfreude, if nobody is buying the GOP message, you can blame the tea party fools for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies