Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 11:26 AM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Kickinit View Post
Why are prisoners allowed television at all? Why are they allowed basketball courts, and baseball fields? Why are they allowed weight rooms or workout areas? Shouldn't these incarcerated people be making trinkets and license plates?
Work is good... "Iidle time is the devil's workshop."
I do think that this country really needs to learn better ways to let the punishment fit the crime.
It would take more work, but it would be effective, instead of the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 11:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Default violent movies

maybe they consider them training films.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:33 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They should be watching the "Sound Of Music" etc
Or Fox News.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:38 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Feed em nothing but mcdonalds and turn em into porkers so at least when they come out and commit another crime the cops can catch em as they waddle off to their getaway scooter.
Do the time and eat the ( pink) slime.

The Incredible Hulk thing bothers me, too.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:50 AM

147 posts, read 118,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Work is good... "Iidle time is the devil's workshop."
I do think that this country really needs to learn better ways to let the punishment fit the crime.
It would take more work, but it would be effective, instead of the opposite.
I've passed through states such as Alabama and have seen chain gangs without the chains working along the interstate highway. If they still had chain gang prisons, maybe people would think twice before committing crimes. just sayin'. My point of view is why should prisoners be coddled with kindness for committing crimes?

Now, watching violent movies in prison? Why isn't the warden or their assistants being more conscious about programming sent to cells or tv viewing areas? They should be screening and editing what prisoners are watching, and if a prisoner doesn't like the viewing material, they can always go back to their cell or library.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:00 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,744,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Prisons can use privileges as a leverage tool, if you take away the leverage then there is little incentive for the inmates to fall in line. If I was a prison guard, I'd rather have a group of inmates vegetate in front of a tv than be bored and restless all day long.
Yes, this. ^^ This is the reasoning behind many of the "why do they allow X in prison" questions. Whether people like it or not, you really DON'T want a bunch of inmates cooped up all day with no incentive to behave, no outlet for physical energy or boredom... it would cost lives and more money. They also have work programs and schedules and assigned duties and so forth all for these same reasons.

My brother is incarcerated though and I know he says that they are pretty strict on what is allowed and what is not.

They hardly vegetate though; the TV room is awful and chaotic, they yell and scream (at the TV) and get very very "wrapped up" in it. He won't go watch anything, he says it's insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies