Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 03:27 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,327,122 times

Advertisements

Here we have a whole list of reasons why Obama was re-elected. Most of them have been dealt with in a Kos article that I won't post. I won't do that because of the reasons offered by the Kos writer.

There were a number of reasons why Obama won but to me and the author of this link the most important one was that more people wanted to continue to get freebies from the government than there were who weren't willing to keep paying those freebies. The writer also mentions the effects of all those female freebies alone.

Post-Mortem - Laura Hollis - [page]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 03:29 PM

14,887 posts, read 10,060,493 times
Because "free" stuff = more votes.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:30 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,844,613 times
you wonder why the gop is in the shape it is with republicans like the op running with stuff like this.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:33 PM

14,887 posts, read 10,060,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
you wonder why the gop is in the shape it is with republicans like the op running with stuff like this.
The GOP is in the shape it's in for the exact same reasons that Obama won in 2012. You simply cannot be honest with the voting public and expect to win because the numbers in this country have shifted far enough in the direction of those who would rather collect mailbox money than work. Mitt Romney didn't stand a chance because he was honest with people. Obama voters don't want to be told that they need to work to get ahead, they want some rich guy to give them money.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:34 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,887,337 times
Don't know why he was reelected, but it is clear he is rooting for Notre Dame tonight.....with a name like O'Bama, who else would he root for?

Old 01-07-2013, 03:35 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,146,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Here we have a whole list of reasons why Obama was re-elected. Most of them have been dealt with in a Kos article that I won't post. I won't do that because of the reasons offered by the Kos writer.

There were a number of reasons why Obama won but to me and the author of this link the most important one was that more people wanted to continue to get freebies from the government than there were who weren't willing to keep paying those freebies. The writer also mentions the effects of all those female freebies alone.

Post-Mortem - Laura Hollis - [page]
What do you consider freebies?

Old 01-07-2013, 03:36 PM

990 posts, read 941,050 times
Or maybe because Romney's positions weren't compelling to the American people and his choice of a VP candidate was insulting to a large number of Americans. Not to mention the antiquated positions on birth control and abortion.

I didn't vote for Obama in 2008 or 2012 (voted Libertarian both times, supported Paul in the '08 primaries and Johnson all the way in '12), but I would never consider supporting Romney because the guy lies in every single speech he makes.

Just look at his ever-changing positions on EVERYTHING and tell me that he's a compelling candidate.
Obama was reelected because he was stifled by a do-nothing congress and still accomplished some things...though he was not a very good president in his first 4 years, he did enough to keep the support from his base and from the swing voters.

If it was all about "free stuff", wouldn't the "NO TAXES" people get more support? After all, I won't get anything free from Obama (my healthcare is employer-provided because I'm a professional and healthcare is a necessity for a company to hire people with my expertise) and nor will any of my fellow upper-middle class friends, and the vast majority of us would gain a lot more financially from a TEA Party government.

If you're so against getting something for nothing, how can you justify the idiocy of cutting taxes while not cutting a dime from our BLOATED military budget?

Old 01-07-2013, 03:38 PM

37,158 posts, read 42,298,392 times
It had nothing to do with "freebies", it was entirely because the GOP blew it and didn't have a legitimate candidate to offer. End of story. It was their election to loose and they did it willingly by rehashing losers from the prior election. What did you expect??

9,828 posts, read 9,438,291 times
After the 2010 elections, Americans woke up and saw who the real enemy has been this whole time...

Senate Republicans Block Another Jobs Bill, Face Backlash From American Public

...and voted accordingly.

4,267 posts, read 6,192,091 times
Obama was re-elected in large part due to social issues such as gay marriage and abortion. Yes, there are many people who will vote on those issues alone, ignoring everything else. People were afraid that Mitt Romney would bring back Bush era torture interrogations. That and he seemed out of touch and elitists. All in all though, the reason why Obama was re-elected is because people are too scared to vote third party. Other then the social issues, I don't see a huge difference between the two major political parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies