Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 04:00 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,250,053 times

Advertisements

Re-election was simple - nearly 60% of American families are wholly dependent upon government for their salaries, pensions and or entitlements / benefits.
They would be foolish to vote against their own self interests.
However, the consequences of that will inevitably bring down the nation, as it cannot continue to penalize producers and reward non-producers.

If ever government enacted "conflict of interest" legislation and disenfranchised any recipient of government funds, etc, that would change overnight.
Recipients should be subservient to the donors, not the other way around.
(Beggars can't be choosers!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 04:01 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,955,171 times
Obama was re-elected thanks to an evil conspiracy between Fox and Rush Limbaugh to ensure that they could whip up the cauldron of tea party bile more than ever before. Rush and Fox are currently giving each other high fives over their increased ratings and resulting torrent of advertizing revenues. Word on the street has it that their ill gotten gains will be deposited in an off shore bank.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,240,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Here we have a whole list of reasons why Obama was re-elected.
1) Mitt Romney
2) Mitt Romney
3) Mitt Romney
4) Mitt Romney
5) Mitt Romney
6) Mitt Romney
7) Mitt Romney
8) Cell phone cameras

And that's just off the top of my head.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:16 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,191,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
1) Mitt Romney
2) Mitt Romney
3) Mitt Romney
4) Mitt Romney
5) Mitt Romney
6) Mitt Romney
7) Mitt Romney
8) Cell phone cameras

And that's just off the top of my head.
Don't forget about Paul Ryan, his smug smile and his blatant lies.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:18 PM

30,120 posts, read 18,727,646 times
Quote:
Here we have a whole list of reasons why Obama was re-elected. Most of them have been dealt with in a Kos article that I won't post. I won't do that because of the reasons offered by the Kos writer.

There were a number of reasons why Obama won but to me and the author of this link the most important one was that more people wanted to continue to get freebies from the government than there were who weren't willing to keep paying those freebies. The writer also mentions the effects of all those female freebies alone.

Post-Mortem - Laura Hollis - [page]
Agreed. When it all falls apart, the demographic who voted for Obama will lose the most. The game of "votes for treats" at the expense of the treasury cannot go on forever. When the merry-go-round stops, it will get ugly quickly. There is no such thing as a free lunch and it is amazing that citizens do not understand this simple concept.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:19 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,536,616 times
Quote:
Here we have a whole list of reasons why Obama was re-elected. Most of them have been dealt with in a Kos article that I won't post. I won't do that because of the reasons offered by the Kos writer.

There were a number of reasons why Obama won but to me and the author of this link the most important one was that more people wanted to continue to get freebies from the government than there were who weren't willing to keep paying those freebies. The writer also mentions the effects of all those female freebies alone.

Post-Mortem - Laura Hollis - [page]
Um have you tried looking at who he was running against?

Old 01-07-2013, 04:22 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,324,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Don't know why he was reelected, but it is clear he is rooting for Notre Dame tonight.....with a name like O'Bama, who else would he root for?
I think he will root for Algorejazeera. In other words he doesn't really like Christian teams like Notre Dame.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:22 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,580,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
The GOP is in the shape it's in for the exact same reasons that Obama won in 2012. You simply cannot be honest with the voting public and expect to win because the numbers in this country have shifted far enough in the direction of those who would rather collect mailbox money than work. Mitt Romney didn't stand a chance because he was honest with people. Obama voters don't want to be told that they need to work to get ahead, they want some rich guy to give them money.
Even Republican talking heads (except maybe those on Fox) would not agree with your overly simplistic statement. Romney was a poor candidate - with an poor message (I'm better than the other guy) that did not resonate with many voters. A stronger GOP Candidate with a stronger message - might have won this election. A candidate that did not have to dance to the beat of the tea party during his primary ~ then try to shuffle back to the middle during the general election ~ MIGHT have stood a chance.

It was actually a massive failure of the Republican party, given the poor economy - that Romney did not win. Blame yourselves.

You can continue to point fingers that half of this country just wanted 'free stuff' OR you can figure out the chaos in your own party. I realize that introspection is hard for the right - but you can't just keep foisting your failures off on everyone else.

Most of the knowledgeable folks in your party realize that people didn't just vote for 'free stuff'. The GOP is seen as the party of intolerance, haters, obstructionists, and a message of "NO".

Change the direction (or lack thereof) of your party - and you might see a change in the voters. Just do it.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
What do you consider freebies?
What do you consider links?

Old 01-07-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Even Republican talking heads (except maybe those on Fox) would not agree with your overly simplistic statement. Romney was a poor candidate - with an poor message (I'm better than the other guy) that did not resonate with many voters. A stronger GOP Candidate with a stronger message - might have won this election. A candidate that did not have to dance to the beat of the tea party during his primary ~ then try to shuffle back to the middle during the general election ~ MIGHT have stood a chance.

It was actually a massive failure of the Republican party, given the poor economy - that Romney did not win. Blame yourselves.

You can continue to point fingers that half of this country just wanted 'free stuff' OR you can figure out the chaos in your own party. I realize that introspection is hard for the right - but you can't just keep foisting your failures off on everyone else.

Most of the knowledgeable folks in your party realize that people didn't just vote for 'free stuff'. The GOP is seen as the party of intolerance, haters, obstructionists, and a message of "NO".

Change the direction (or lack thereof) of your party - and you might see a change in the voters. Just do it.
That is certainly what the left sees but I wonder how many others see what you threw in. Damned good job of mentioning what the left says about the GOP but you failed to address anything Ms. Hollis said in her article. Is there a chance that the reason you had to address only what you did is that you failed to read that link? I sure think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies