Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 08:47 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,096,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Good. New York and a few other states can make their gun laws as strict as they want.

The rest of us (affectionately known hereafter as "flyover states") can figure this out on an individual basis. No need for new federal weapons laws... they're fine the way they are.
I generally agree with this but if NY state is anything like Illinois Id say they need to wall off the city and turn it into the prison the people that voted for tyrants like Bloomberg and Rham seem to want....

Im sure like Illinois there are sane people out in the country in NY, no need to ruin the whole state...

This would likely apply to Kalifornia too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 09:02 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
Don't get me wrong, I'm not for infringing others' gun rights. I feel that people should be allowed to own exactly the firearms that NY politicians are trying to get banned... all I'm saying is that this is a fight belonging to New Yorkers and that I support the state's right to determine and enforce its own laws.

<---- gun owner, hunter, shooting sports enthusiast who likes semi-automatic firearms.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:03 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Good. New York and a few other states can make their gun laws as strict as they want.
They could... if not for the 2nd amendment, which says they can't.

Or would you also not mind if just a few states OK'ed black slavery, too? I believe there's an amendment forbidding that, too... but what the hell. If just a few states do it on their own, shouldn't affect the rest of us. Right?

Old 01-08-2013, 11:07 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Which is hardly out of line with the massive drop in crime all around the country correlating with the massive increase in firearm ownership and liberalization of carry laws.
No, the drop is from responsible gun laws.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:11 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
They could... if not for the 2nd amendment, which says they can't.

Or would you also not mind if just a few states OK'ed black slavery, too? I believe there's an amendment forbidding that, too... but what the hell. If just a few states do it on their own, shouldn't affect the rest of us. Right?
The 2nd amendment say's they can. The Supreme Court is the voice of the constitution and they say reasonable restrictions are constitutional. Reasonable restrictions in NYC are probably different than reasonable restrictions in Alaska, don't you think?

Walking home at midnight in Alaska with a 357Magnum strapped to your hip might make a lot of sense when the bears are hungry in the fall whereas this might not be practical to walk into The New York Park Hilton bar for "Happy Hour".

Old 01-08-2013, 11:15 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,254 times
These gun laws are a knee-jerk reaction and completely fail to address the real issue.

I don't have a solution but I know gun laws wont work and will only divide this nation more. I'm not a gun nut, own two weapons and both are locked up at all times because I have kids.

I don't really think people should own 50 guns and detest all the doomsday prepers. That being said, gun laws wont prevent the next mass murder.

The issue is more complicated than that.

I'm all with peace and it would be nice if weapons did not exist at all, however that is not reality.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:18 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,096,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
The 2nd amendment say's they can. The Supreme Court is the voice of the constitution and they say reasonable restrictions are constitutional. Reasonable restrictions in NYC are probably different than reasonable restrictions in Alaska, don't you think?
Alan Gura and The Second Amendment Foundation and I disagree, they are taking NY to court, Supreme Court....

http://www.hoffmang....-2013-01-08.pdf

Last edited by Earlyretired; 01-08-2013 at 11:44 PM..

Old 01-08-2013, 11:54 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The new laws won't work? You mean like cutting gun murders in NYC from 2400 to 400 in a few years by making it almost impossible to get a handgun?
I will believe this bit of nonsense when the sun comes up in the north. Impossible to get a handgun? Impossible for who? The muder rate has just magically dropped in NYC ya say? If things are that good, well rat spit, why does the NYPD need guns? Why have SWAT teams? Oh yea, NYC is a bastion of non violence and all the bad guys vave up their guns.
A gang banger or other violent vermin, cannot find a gun to be had. That is just flat amusing. Tbe results you THINK should have happened and reality are diametricly opposed. Lmao.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:00 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,070,698 times
Quote:
Cuomo to announce sweeping Federal gun laws, that are already tried and found not to work
On what planet do state governors announce Federal laws?

Uranus?

Old 01-09-2013, 12:06 AM

39,860 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Cuomo can't pass any federal laws.
Considering you're the only one that brought up federal laws...just want to let you know that the dumbazz Cuomo is the state governor, and can pass (with the help of an equally useless senate and assembly) useless state laws that do nothing to reduce crime, and only impact the law abiding.

But this isn't intended to be a crime control law, no one with half a brain thinks it is. It is all about exploiting a tragedy to exploit an anti-gun agenda. Bottomfeeding tw@twaffle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies