Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 09:18 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It's good to see some common sense measures after the tragedy of Sandy Hook.

From what I understand, it took over 20 minutes for police to respond and secure the school...only after the shooter had taken his own life. 20 minutes....what difference does magazine capacity make when a nutcase has 20 minutes with no response? Be thankful he had rifle shooting little varmit bullets instead of a single shot 12 gauge. With that much time and the ranges involved, a shotgun would have been devistating.
I'm surprised nobody has brought this up. I think the same thing a shotgun would have been a much better choice of weapon. Or like you say how long does it take to swap a clip? Not long. I don't hear anybody screaming for banning shotguns though. Or handguns which cause most of the gun deaths. It's the evil assault rifle. It doesn't make any sense which is why it is all meaningless and the powers that be know that too. They just want to do something so they can say see what I did and tell everybody how they care about the children etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 09:54 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,789,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
Utah town makes arming households a top priority | 9news.com
This is what is evolving. Where will it stop?
When criminals stop committing crimes.

Including the ones in Washington, DC.

In other words, never.

This is nothing new.

----------------------------------------

Firearm Ownership is Mandatory for All Households in Kennesaw, Georgia - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Do you know that if you live in the small town of Kennesaw, Georgia, you are required to have and maintain a firearm?

On May 1, 1982, a new ordinance was passed by the city council of Kennesaw. This law ( Sec. 34-1 Heads of households to maintain firearms) made it mandatory for each household to own and maintain a gun, as well as ammunition. Not only was the ordinance passed by city council, it was a unanimous decision. Of course, exclusions were made to convicted felons, people with religious objections, and people with disabilities.

Members of the city council introduced and voted for the ordinance to make a statement when a city in Illinois, Morton Grove, passed an ordinance banning hand guns from anyone other than peace officers.

In fact, more than 25 years after the ban, not a single resident of Kennesaw has been involved in a fatal shooting - as a victim, attacker or defender. There has been one firearm related murder but not from a resident of Kennesaw. Since the ordinance, no child has ever been injured with a firearm in Kennesaw. Crime dropped after the ordinance and the city has maintained an exceptionally low crime rate ever since, even with the population swelling from 5,000 in 1982 to approximately 30,000 today. The truth is crime has plummeted and population has soared.

In comparison, the population of Morton Grove, Illinois has dropped slightly and the crime rate has increased, especially right after the ban.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:07 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,468,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
On May 1, 1982, a new ordinance was passed by the city council of Kennesaw. This law ( Sec. 34-1 Heads of households to maintain firearms) made it mandatory for each household to own and maintain a gun, as well as ammunition. Not only was the ordinance passed by city council, it was a unanimous decision. Of course, exclusions were made to convicted felons, people with religious objections, and people with disabilities.
I wonder how they enforce it. Do they send gun inspectors into everybody's homes? Talk about nanny-state big government interference.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:23 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,571,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I wonder how they enforce it. Do they send gun inspectors into everybody's homes? Talk about nanny-state big government interference.
They'll probably know when you call 9/11 and they ask you if you are armed. If not, you may have to pay a fine for their response. They also have registration records.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:32 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,674,786 times
Give monkeys guns and watch them kill themselves.

Now they have guns, and they've already started killing themselves.

All in the name of 'civility'.

White people amuse me...

Old 01-09-2013, 10:34 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,553,945 times
Quote:
Here's a well dressed Walmart shopper from Alaska.
Idiotic and unnecessary would be my caption.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 AM

691 posts, read 771,785 times
Quote:
Here's a well dressed Walmart shopper from Alaska.

What do you mean my coupons are expired?

Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 AM

691 posts, read 771,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Idiotic and unnecessary would be my caption.

This is no different than people wearing camoflauge clothing in the city. Maybe it's a fashion statement?

Old 01-09-2013, 10:45 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,789,910 times
It's always a hoot when people who haven't lived in Alaska, try to tell Alaskans how to live in Alaska.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:46 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Hopefully it will not stop.
I bet crime drops in this town and the publicity will definitely prevent any potential school nutjob shooting wannabe from even thinking about their community - which is the point.
There is basically little to no crime in this town to begin with. Property crime is like 3% and violent crime is .22% If it drops any lower the city will be creating new life out of thin air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies