Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 06:05 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Assault weapon: Any gun that is legal today which liberals would like to make illegal as soon as possible.
Liberals made up the term, "assault weapon" and defined it as they chose. But the AR-15 was not designed for the military. It was designed for the sportsman. An adaption of it became the M-16 military weapon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 06:09 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Liberals made up the term, "assault weapon" and defined it as they chose. But the AR-15 was not designed for the military. It was designed for the sportsman. An adaption of it became the M-16 military weapon.
The same can be said for the civilian version of the AK-47...

Old 01-13-2013, 06:47 PM

397 posts, read 843,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Kickinit View Post
You can do a news search, or you can search city data for information.
I would like the hand gun story to be true, when I searched I could not find any reputable source stating that was the case though. Can you or JimRom give me some credible links to verify that handguns were used and not the AR?

Old 01-13-2013, 06:53 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawk View Post
I would like the hand gun story to be true, when I searched I could not find any reputable source stating that was the case though. Can you or JimRom give me some credible links to verify that handguns were used and not the AR?
The state police report won't be out for months, so you might not have hard data until then.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:59 PM

490 posts, read 650,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
There was not an assault weapon used in the latest massacre first of all, what was used were handguns. These weapons are designed for personal defense and for recreational shooting. Let's be honest here. You have an agenda and it's not about assault weapons at all. What it is about is all self defense weapons. Are you a burgler or something that doesn't want shot at when you break into someones home? As much of a zealot as you are on this and unwilling to listen to any reason, I have to wonder. This thread is NOT about the shooting that occured. Stay on topic...
BS. These weapons are designed to KILL.
I do have an agenda. I hope that by I can go to a movie and not get butchered by an AR15 or similar weapon. I pray that no more children are threatened by this or any other weapon. I believe the way to get there is first to call the AR15 what it is: a completely insane tool to make available to the public.

Now you can break out the gun owners manual and tell me all the different ways I can killed and of course the list goes on and on. But staying "on topic" I am discussing the AR15 and it's beyond me why people can get this gun?
As I have stated many times on CD I am not saying that we should witch hunt and clean the streets of all guns. I have no issue with keeping "sensible" guns In your home for protection. You wanna hunt? Fine by me. With guns that make sense. Target shooting? Be my guest. The AR15, and those like it, simply don't make sense to me. It's too much gun, even for responsible gun owners.
Now you can tell all about rights infringement. But you accuse me of not listening to any reason? I never hear any compassion or willingness to make changes from gun owners.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:00 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawk View Post
This article pretty well sums up the confusion:
What Really Happened At Sandy Hook Elementary? | Freedom's Wings Politics

This one has some pretty good info as well:
Sherrie Questioning All: Proof "Smoking 'Guns' - Sandy Hook school shooting pictures of two 'guns/rifles' taken from trunk of car. Hypocrisy of Feinstein and Movie Stars.

This one shows that something is definitely not adding up in the story:
Three Days Before Shooting "United Way Extends Our Most Sincere Condolences To Sandy Hook Families" - :

Finally, Politisite has a fairly good article on the entire batch of mis-matched evidence and reports:
http://www.politisite.com/2012/12/28...ook-shootings/

Old 01-13-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsav View Post
BS. These weapons are designed to KILL.
I do have an agenda. I hope that by I can go to a movie and not get butchered by an AR15 or similar weapon. I pray that no more children are threatened by this or any other weapon. I believe the way to get there is first to call the AR15 what it is: a completely insane tool to make available to the public.

Now you can break out the gun owners manual and tell me all the different ways I can killed and of course the list goes on and on. But staying "on topic" I am discussing the AR15 and it's beyond me why people can get this gun?
As I have stated many times on CD I am not saying that we should witch hunt and clean the streets of all guns. I have no issue with keeping "sensible" guns In your home for protection. You wanna hunt? Fine by me. With guns that make sense. Target shooting? Be my guest. The AR15, and those like it, simply don't make sense to me. It's too much gun, even for responsible gun owners.
Now you can tell all about rights infringement. But you accuse me of not listening to any reason? I never hear any compassion or willingness to make changes from gun owners.
My turn to call BS.... You have heard compassion and you have heard suggestions of changes that could be made that would prevent some of these tragedies, but you have "CHOSEN" to completely ignore them. The simple fact is, until you erraticate insanity, you will have mass murder and tragedies. TAking a realistic approach to these facts are the only way to reduce them. You have dismissed them completely as an answer to the problems we are having, so why should any gun owner recipricate... Take a little less rigid approach and you might be surprised.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:26 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
I don't really care if it's an "assault" weapon or not.
If you can shoot more bullets than one at a time, it's assaulting enough for me.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I don't really care if it's an "assault" weapon or not.
If you can shoot more bullets than one at a time, it's assaulting enough for me.
What you are calling an "assault weapon" you only get ONE bullet per pull of the trigger.... You don't have a clue what you are talking about and are making judgements with misinformation.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:30 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
And again, I ask "Why?"

For every one individual that picks up an AR-15 and uses it to commit an atrocity, there are several million that use the exact same firearm for things like sport shooting, varmint hunting, or to hang on the wall. Do you really feel that the AR-15 and similar firearms have some magical ability to cause their owners to suddenly become homicidal maniacs? If you do, the numbers and statistics disagree with you. While ownership of these and other types of firearms has been steadily increasing, murder rates have been steadily decreasing. In fact, I believe we are at a record low in the last report.

The number of incidents involving the AR-15 or other so-called "assault rifles" is miniscule in comparison to other firearms. Even in the cases where an AR-15 was used in a mass shooting, if you add up all the victims from every mass shooting you won't come up with anything near a significant number when you compare the total to handgun killings. The one and only reason the AR-15 has become the target of the latest round of gun control talks is that the media and politicians want it that way. There is absolutely nothing about the AR-15 that makes it more dangerous than a semi-automatic rifle of the same caliber. The argument about the number of rounds that the magazine holds is specious at best, since anyone who is intent on doing massive amounts of harm is going to carry multiple magazines anyway. Hint: I can hot-swap the magazine in my handgun and pop off close to 60 rounds per minute on a good day.

Your call for the banning of the AR-15 and similar firearms merely shows that you have been paying attention to the propaganda coming out of Washington rather than using common sense to look at the issue. It seems to be a common trend lately. If the prevalence of this or any other type of firearm was causative of firearms related crimes, we would be seeing an increase in the rates of incidents over the last decade. Instead, we've seen those rates steadily decrease since 1990, bringing us to record low numbers. Ironically, what we have seen increase since the Gun Free Zone law was enacted has been the number of mass school shootings. In fact, it is almost 4 times more likely for there to be a school shooting with 4 or more victims now than there was before the GFZ was passed. If you want to protect children, go after that idiotic law and leave law-abiding firearms owners alone.

In short, stop buying the BS coming out of Washington about how dangerous and evil the AR-15 is. There is no reason to ban this or any other firearm. Any issues with current firearms legislation need to be addressed at a state level to begin with, and prohibition isn't the way to address it. Want to tighten background checks? I'm good with that, and so are most firearms owners I know. Want to close some loopholes that allow for private sales? You'll get some flack over it, but most would be willing to accept it (personally, I always go through a dealer to sell my firearms when it's time to upgrade anyway). What doesn't need to be done is any sort of ban on firearms that look "scary", or a Sex Offender type database that puts law-abiding firearms owners in the same class as criminals.
Yes the AR-15's account for a small percentage of the murders, that is not a reason to retain the status quo. You could make that argument for allowing automatic weapons like the M16 using that same logic.
No one is using the dangerous looking gun logic, that is just nonsense portrayed by extreme pro-gun proponents, people want these guns banned because of their fire rate of close to 60 rounds a minute.

Yes semi-auto handguns are a larger issue, which ones do you think should be restricted, are you in favor of laws on magazine size, background checks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies