Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 11:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
And how should the government go about viewing fraud and corruption? Do you know that more tax dollars will be spent on hiring more people to do these extensive researches? What else can they do aside from what they do already which forever terminating a person's eligibility in the program? Making them pay the money that was given to them back and or sentence them to jail or prison?
Then we just throw up our hands and ignore it ?
Just increase taxes to cover the increasing program funding ?

Some are quite obvious. Investigative journalists uncovered billions of Texas food stamp money being spent in Hawaii. Texas government didn't know about it..gee it was THEIR data the journalists had.
And Texas government told the journalists "they would look into it". A nice pat, feel good answer.

If Texas is doing that then assume they are not the only ones ignoring red flags in the data they already track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 11:33 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,802,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Then we just throw up our hands and ignore it ?
Just increase taxes to cover the increasing program funding ?

Some are quite obvious. Investigative journalists uncovered billions of Texas food stamp money being spent in Hawaii. Texas government didn't know about it..gee it was THEIR data the journalists had.
And Texas government told the journalists "they would look into it". A nice pat, feel good answer.

If Texas is doing that then assume they are not the only ones ignoring red flags in the data they already track.

Don't put words in my mouth and then ASSume that's what I "meant" I'm asking you do YOU know what you are asking? Also I am trying to see how you plan to curb deceiving people with ill intentions to not make fraudlent claims and abuse tax payers' money. Ok so you want the journalists to get involved and be paid to research possible fraud, what else?

Also, what are you planning to do, or are you planning to vote for all programs that benefit from citizens' taxes to be scrutinized under this plan to curb fraud and abuse?

Old 01-15-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
Don't put words in my mouth and then ASSume that's what I "meant" I'm asking you do YOU know what you are asking? Also I am trying to see how you plan to curb deceiving people with ill intentions to not make fraudlent claims and abuse tax payers' money. Ok so you want the journalists to get involved and be paid to research possible fraud, what else?

Also, what are you planning to do, or are you planning to vote for all programs that benefit from citizens' taxes to be scrutinized under this plan to curb fraud and abuse?
Are you saying there is no fraud detection in government ?
I'm saying the fraud detection is there and is part of the program but it seems that red flags are being ignored until brought to public light.

I don't propose we add or curb anything. If we can't administer a program correctly like private industry can then we deserve everything coming to us.

Do you think a company would send billions in phony rebate claims to prisons ?
Do you think a company would send millions in rebates to a single address ?

The IRS does and has no qualms about it UNTIL it's put on public display in an MSM article.

People in jail got first time homebuyer checks. How much more obvious can that be ?
prisoners serving life getting first time homebuyer checks with millions listing the same house no less.

Or how about the lifeline program run by the FCC not having a central database so that people can sign up for a plan at each provider and no one finds out ? You have people with 5 or more lifeline plans that went unchecked until uncovered by the press. Now the FCC says they'll put together a database the providers can check because a person is only supposed to qualify for one plan, not one plan from each provider.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:42 AM

37,151 posts, read 42,250,817 times
Quote:
I'm saying the fraud detection is there and is part of the program but it seems that red flags are being ignored until brought to public light.

I don't propose we add or curb anything. If we can't administer a program correctly like private industry can then we deserve everything coming to us.

The IRS does and has no qualms about it UNTIL it's put on public display in an MSM article.

You are being asked for your personal ideas, not a vague statement of "someone does fraud stuff somewhere".

There is no way to get 100% compliance in anything ever. FACT. There will always be those who abuse, take advantage and try to deceive. FACT. How much money to we put into saving money? That's the question. There are things that can be done, and care must be taken to "keep up" with new and advances ways to cheat the systems, but we do reach the point of deminishing returns, and then we need to throw up our hands and do nothing. Why? It's the only logical thing to do. We can't keep going because something is pissing us off.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You are being asked for your personal ideas, not a vague statement of "someone does fraud stuff somewhere".

There is no way to get 100% compliance in anything ever. FACT. There will always be those who abuse, take advantage and try to deceive. FACT. How much money to we put into saving money? That's the question.
I understand the most people don't care; I do get that.
The alternative though is to pay more and more to fund these programs because when fraud goes undetected and people get away with it the numbers tend to increase as the fear of getting caught disappears.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:45 AM

662 posts, read 1,049,839 times
I dunno. I would usually disagree with you, but I actually agree. Right now I'm actually a bit hungry but I'm low on food. I'm a broke college student. I tried applying for welfare, and got denied. The case worker basically half expected me to come back with a child to qualify. I maybe a black male, but I'm not fitting THAT stereotype.

The problem is the structure of our government. Make .15 more and you are kicked off the program. It basically ensure so many millions of people will not better themselves so it can make them easier to control IMO.

I can't wait until I graduate.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:46 AM

37,151 posts, read 42,250,817 times
Quote:
I understand the most people don't care; I do get that.
The alternative though is to pay more and more to fund these programs because when fraud goes undetected and people get away with it the numbers tend to increase as the fear of getting caught disappears.
So, the fear of getting caught may be key. What the fear of? That's what we need to figure out, and how much good does it do overall vs make things worse for everyone.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:50 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,802,796 times
Quote:

Seems like you and your "friends" are saying there is no fraud detection in the government. Go and look what I said on the last page, page 30 I think, and see what I said. Furthermore, obviously there is a good fraud detection for there only to be 1% of fraudlent findings.

Private industry? Have you heard of Enron? How about AGI? Madolf? Any of those ring a bell? And that's not even the beginning of "private" industries that went belly up, did unethical things, made billions of dollars disappear where no one can find a cent to this day. So please, stop chasing your tail, and state your solution, because you're not doing anything but hollering and bytching and whining again.

So we need to raise taxes, and you said we need to bring oversight to the fraud that is happening, yet you say we don't need to curb or add anything. So what do you propose? Tell me if you cannot answer but don't try to turn this around.

1% over 10 years have been found of fradulent claims, and government assistance abuse

If a person is caught abusing the system, they're eligibility is automatically terminated, and they will never be eligible again, they can never get public assistance even when they need it because them abusing the system is associated with their social security number, also, if they are found to be living in the house of someone that qualifies and is on public assistance THAT person will no longer be eligible unless that person is out of their house.

The person who is charged with fraud will also, have to pay back either a portion or ALL of the assistance they received to the government

As well as the charged person will have to serve time in jail or prison for a certain period of time.

What else can happen? Or do you just think raising taxes will be better?

But wait... then you all will have MORE things to complain about, with all of our taxes being raised! More posts like this will be happening. Right?

Old 01-15-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
I dunno. I would usually disagree with you, but I actually agree. Right now I'm actually a bit hungry but I'm low on food. I'm a broke college student. I tried applying for welfare, and got denied. The case worker basically half expected me to come back with a child to qualify. I maybe a black male, but I'm not fitting THAT stereotype.

The problem is the structure of our government. Make .15 more and you are kicked off the program. It basically ensure so many millions of people will not better themselves so it can make them easier to control IMO.

I can't wait until I graduate.
They changed the food stamp rules just recently. You may just qualify now.
You don't have to have a job or a family.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:02 PM

19,658 posts, read 12,251,755 times
Quote:
The government spent a lot of time and money to eliminate the 'stigma' of being on the dole.
Looks like it worked, didn't it ?

Every group is now encouraged to sign up. There are posters in college campuses telling the students they should apply for food stamps. It's becoming a norm and totally acceptable in society to have the government pay for your lifestyle because you can't.
And it is a lifestyle. Like college kids are really starving children. LOL. Not exactly malnourished babies with flies around their faces, as they put on their Abercrombies and sip their Rock Star energy drinks.

The normalization of handouts just drags down society. It makes it ok to be "less than". I've already seen some people become so used to it that they want more. They find ways to get on SSDI and get Medicare and have their kids diagnosed with some pseudo illness like ADD so they can get SSI too. Even with all that it does not equal two full time working adults so they live in substandard conditons, preferring this to a middle class life. Just so they don't have to get up and go to a job. It makes it ok to live poor and lazy and to be fine with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies