Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 04:59 PM

71 posts, read 60,686 times

Advertisements

I take issue with those who state that guns are only for killing people. I am a competitive shooter. There are hundreds of thousands of Americans that are involved in the shooting sports. Many are highly trained athletes that make a living shooting matches all over the country. I have friends that are training to be on the U.S. Olympic shooting team. You like the NFL? NBA? College sports? We we like competitive shooting. How would you like to see your favorite sport or activity taken from you, or changed through no fault of your own. There are even more target shooters in America that spend a lot of time and energy persuing their favorite pastime. And even more people who are hunters that engage in lawful use of their guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 05:00 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandochuck View Post
I take issue with those who state that guns are only for killing people. I am a competitive shooter. There are hundreds of thousands of Americans that are involved in the shooting sports. Many are highly trained athletes that make a living shooting matches all over the country. I have friends that are training to be on the U.S. Olympic shooting team. You like the NFL? NBA? College sports? We we like competitive shooting. How would you like to see your favorite sport or activity taken from you, or changed through no fault of your own. There are even more target shooters in America that spend a lot of time and energy persuing their favorite pastime. And even more people who are hunters that engage in lawful use of their guns.
Are they proposing banning any guns used in competitive shooting?

Old 01-16-2013, 05:02 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Hmmm. One might think you'd be excited about less competition.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:03 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,120 times
Quote:
You're not their problem, and they won't be a problem for you. Your kind is not what they're talking about. You are a responsible Gun owner and like other law abiding citizens you are entitled to said rights and privileges. And to be honest, the NFL is desperately in need to reform, or at least redesigning of protection, because people are dying, becoming prematurely senile, or just flat out brain damaged from it. The NFL knows this, but they don't want to because it would cost to much money (so they say)

Old 01-16-2013, 05:07 PM

552 posts, read 738,736 times
Quote:
Trained athlete? Last time I checked you didn't have to be in shape to aim. Secondly nothing that has been put forth would limit competitive shooting.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:14 PM

819 posts, read 1,495,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
Secondly nothing that has been put forth would limit competitive shooting.
Two words.

New York.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:58 PM

71 posts, read 60,686 times
I am a USPSA shooter. Try watching YouTube videos of this sport. There is a great deal of running between array of targets, and to race the clock and shoot accurate requires specific skill sets, and it helps if you are in shape. Secondly, in some competitions called "three gun", we uses ar-15s, shotguns, and pistols all in one course of fire....again, on the clock. We use large capacity magazines. Thirdly, the amount of ammo required to train and compete requires bulk ammo purchases which are being threatened also, especially on the Internet which most of us use to buy our ammo.

Last edited by orlandochuck; 01-16-2013 at 07:15 PM..

Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Actually, New York, limiting the mag to a 7 round stack, will in fact have an effect on competitive shooting.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:26 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
The AR-15 is probably THE most widely used gun in competitive center fire rifle shooting. It is one of the most accurate "out of the box" firearms you can buy. In addition to target shooting, they are extremely popular with long range varmint shooters and predator hunters. I'm in the process of building a long range .223 (technically .223 Wylde chamber) for long range target shooting and dusting prairie dogs. Also planning on building a 6mm wildcat on another AR. They have more "reach" than a .223 chambering and are also better suited for big game hunting.

But of course you'll never hear that side of the story from the most vocal anti-gun fear mongers...they are only used for killing large masses of people.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:30 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
You're not their problem, and they won't be a problem for you. Your kind is not what they're talking about. You are a responsible Gun owner and like other law abiding citizens you are entitled to said rights and privileges. And to be honest, the NFL is desperately in need to reform, or at least redesigning of protection, because people are dying, becoming prematurely senile, or just flat out brain damaged from it. The NFL knows this, but they don't want to because it would cost to much money (so they say)
It's kind of ironic...that more people in the NFL kill each other with guns than do those involved in firearms competitions. Yet it is competitive shooters that are targeted by this administration. The Obama proposals will of course do away with AR-15 platform rifles...which are the most widely used rifle in competition. The vast majority of competitive handgun shooting involves semi-auto handguns...which if not banned outright, will be by default since the mags will be illegal (assuming Obama gets his way). And of course semi-auto shotguns are the most commonly used type for most hunting and a large portion of competition (trap, skeet, sporty clays).

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
Trained athlete? Last time I checked you didn't have to be in shape to aim. Secondly nothing that has been put forth would limit competitive shooting.
You have once again demonstrated your ignorance of the topic.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 01-16-2013 at 07:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies