Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 11:02 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermatic240 View Post
Oh yes........this is a great song!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
He absolutely rides horses. He sold his horses though when he began working overseas and was single, because he couldn't trust other people to take care of them when he was out of the country. That's why the saddle was in his back seat when I first met him - he had taken a horse out to let someone ride it in case they wanted to buy it - which they did. So he had the saddle in the back seat - but no horse.

Thank goodness. I like cowboys, but I don't want to have to take care of horses while he's working somewhere away from home for two or three weeks at a time!
I thought so most people don't just carry a saddle around just to be doing it!!

I do understand the horse thing, I at one time had rescued horses, I had 5 horses and a Welch pony, the pony was my fun horse and my most Houdini. We'd have the horses tied up and preparing to ride if no one was watching he would untie himself and the other horses and then the rodeo was on. We soon learned he was the last to come out of the corral.

Between clothing kids and raising rescues it did become to much, one day I put an add in the paper and the horses were gone in 3 days. They all went on to better homes, a couple became show horses. The pony I would have kept, but he loved other horses, he went to a lady that has a business conducting pony rides and shows. I missed them for a wee bit, my wallet hasn't missed them at all. I also live were snow is on the ground for 7 months and working horses out in snow is just not like you see in the movies.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:00 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I thought so most people don't just carry a saddle around just to be doing it!!

I do understand the horse thing, I at one time had rescued horses, I had 5 horses and a Welch pony, the pony was my fun horse and my most Houdini. We'd have the horses tied up and preparing to ride if no one was watching he would untie himself and the other horses and then the rodeo was on. We soon learned he was the last to come out of the corral.

Between clothing kids and raising rescues it did become to much, one day I put an add in the paper and the horses were gone in 3 days. They all went on to better homes, a couple became show horses. The pony I would have kept, but he loved other horses, he went to a lady that has a business conducting pony rides and shows. I missed them for a wee bit, my wallet hasn't missed them at all. I also live were snow is on the ground for 7 months and working horses out in snow is just not like you see in the movies.
You sound like my husband -he had I think four horses and he said though he loved taking care of them, and thinks they are fascinating animals, they are very HIGH MAINTENANCE.

I, on the other hand, am very low maintenance!

Old 01-18-2013, 04:33 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,484,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You sound like my husband -he had I think four horses and he said though he loved taking care of them, and thinks they are fascinating animals, they are very HIGH MAINTENANCE.

I, on the other hand, am very low maintenance!
Actually, i say goats are more high maintenance than horses are...of course, in my opinion! Financially speaking, horses trump goats....by A LOT!

Old 01-18-2013, 04:56 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,984,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
True, but then I was replying to someone making sweeping claims like ''Rural America, is more diversified living in harmony, than any metropolitan area.'' Uh yeah, maybe, as long as you're a ''local''! Heck, I can think of some ''rural'' places where even as another ''anglo'', I've felt more ''welcome'' in Watts! And even that's fine, but let's not try to pretend that either rural or urban folks can lay claim to sainthood and ''tolerance''!

Speaking of ''diversity'', am a little confused by your post. On the one hand, you're complaining about ''segregation'' and ''elitism'' (whether by race or social class). Yet you also seem to be complaining that whites, who you feel are the ''default Americans'' and the ''majority'', are slowly losing their ''majority' status'... is that correct?

So getting back to the OP, am basically getting the idea that ''country folks'' (for lack of a better name so far) tend to define themselves mostly by what and who they're not (aka, ''real Americans'' who aren't immigrants, elites, gays, black, lib-rul, city slickers, feminists, yankees, muslims, atheists, hippies, etc.)...??!!
You're misinterpreting what I wrote. Another poster was focused too much on race when reading my post too, after which I replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
See, when I was typing I wasn't speaking of race. It's not necessarily a race thing. There are plenty of blacks, Hispanics, and Natives that are part of the demographic/culture described by the OP. And there are plenty of whites who are NOT part of said demographic.

And I bet you do love Texas, it's one of the states with the largest population of the demographic the OP is alluding to. (I'm stuck in Kansas City, longing for somewhere further south or at least smaller/more rural.)

With all that said, it's surprising how many people don't realize how many black country people and hicks there are out there. Even here in Kansas City, that type of black person exists.
She had mentioned that "whites are already outnumbered by minorities in four states". What you guys are failing to realize when reading my post you quoted is that the demographic the original poster is alluding to is not synonymous with 'white Americans'. I see the assumption that the demographic being discussed is synonymous with 'white Americans' as being a lack of understanding. There is a ton of diversity within the topic demographic. Those of you who assume the entire demo is white also might assume they're all Republicans, which would also be patently false.

Why do you guys think that the demographic that the OP alludes to and that's being discussed is synonymous with "white Americans"?

Old 01-18-2013, 07:15 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,462,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
You're misinterpreting what I wrote. Another poster was focused too much on race when reading my post too, after which I replied:

She had mentioned that "whites are already outnumbered by minorities in four states". What you guys are failing to realize when reading my post you quoted is that the demographic the original poster is alluding to is not synonymous with 'white Americans'. I see the assumption that the demographic being discussed is synonymous with 'white Americans' as being a lack of understanding. There is a ton of diversity within the topic demographic. Those of you who assume the entire demo is white also might assume they're all Republicans, which would also be patently false.

Why do you guys think that the demographic that the OP alludes to and that's being discussed is synonymous with "white Americans"?
Sorry if I misunderstood you. Although things got a little confusing here when certain ''low maintenance'' folks got kinda side-tracked explaining the virtues of horses and cowboy-dom (...LOL)!

And no, I don't assume that this still ''unidentified'' demographic is exclusively republican, although do you think it would be safe to say they're mostly conservative or libertarian (at least these days)? As to race, I actually know what you might call an asian ''redneck'', but generally speaking, if there were a lot of ''non-white'' representatives here, I musta missed 'em!

Old 01-18-2013, 07:34 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
What I was doing was extolling the virtues of an often maligned group of Americans. Which definitely ties into the topic at hand. I used my personal story to show how, before I ALLOWED myself to get to know some of these "categories" of Americans - hicks, rednecks, cowboys, oilfield trash, hillbillies, pick your often-derogatory label - I definitely had misconceptions. Basically, I was ignorant.

I once was lost, but now am saved!

Yee haw!

Old 01-18-2013, 08:33 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I grew up in socal and it did have agricultural areas even when I was a kid but most have been erased by endless suburbia. But my ex and I went up north one year on vacataion and found a small town of about a thousand people, tall trees and quiet. We tried to sell and were planning to move there, but the market had crashed and we gave up on it. But nocal is like a different planet to socal, and there is a lot of agriculture in the area.

There were a lot of people from socal who'd moved there to escape socal and loved it. Mostly they loved that it wasn't like socal at all.
Yes indeed. Northern California shares some social stuff with SoCal, but in general, the life is very different; much more rural and similar to other rural areas of the west. An old friend of mine ran a cow outfit for another guy there for decades. In his youth, he was a hippie for a few years, and became a Buddhist. His hippie days are long gone in the distant past, but he's still a Buddhist. In every other aspect of his life, and in his speech and demeanor, someone who doesn't know him would presume he was born and raised on a ranch and that's all he's ever known.

I think that kind of explains how it is in Northern Cali for a lot of folks who live there.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:07 AM

62,993 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Sorry if I misunderstood you. Although things got a little confusing here when certain ''low maintenance'' folks got kinda side-tracked explaining the virtues of horses and cowboy-dom (...LOL)!

And no, I don't assume that this still ''unidentified'' demographic is exclusively republican, although do you think it would be safe to say they're mostly conservative or libertarian (at least these days)? As to race, I actually know what you might call an asian ''redneck'', but generally speaking, if there were a lot of ''non-white'' representatives here, I musta missed 'em!
The whole southwest is saturated with Hispanic cowboys. Big white cowboy hats, cowboy boots and belt buckles. They are the rednecked version of white cowboys and I don't just mean mode of dress either.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The whole southwest is saturated with Hispanic cowboys. Big white cowboy hats, cowboy boots and belt buckles. They are the rednecked version of white cowboys and I don't just mean mode of dress either.
Does this make one a "Cowboy"??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies