Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
I'm not sure what this has to do with politics and controversies but I couldn't imagine myself with anything other than a "country boy". That is why I am married to one who also takes the cake cause he works construction (he's an Electrician)
Nice.

My country boy works in the oilfield.

I love a man who goes to work wearing jeans and steel toed boots!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 09:11 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,942,450 times
The target audience for Fox

Old 01-16-2013, 09:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,261,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
A friend of mine who's originally from Oklahoma, likes to date gals he calls ''southern'', and who appreciate ''cowboys'', even though these women may have grown up in Cali instead of say, GA or TN. And though I'm still a city boy, I ''get'' what he's talking about... it's a culture, a lifestyle and an attitude, that's more than just liking country music and wearing sh*t kickers.

But to us ''outsiders'', what to call this huge demographic, that's easy enough to recognize, yet doesn't even really have a name for itself.... or does it (and how do they feel about using all those ''other'' names, even among themselves)? BTW, it seems odd that we casually discuss things like Hispanic, Jewish or Black culture and politics, yet we can't seem to come up with a good name for what is probably the largest cultural group in the country, with pretty identifiable tastes (like Nascar, country music, fried foods, guns, heavy drinking, rural living, etc..... and being ''white'' is only a part of it)!
What you are describing is true and it seems like that cultural group is the only major group left its politically correct to make fun of and belittle.

I personally don't care for the lifestyle but I completely respect those kinds of people and their right to live their own American dream, even if its not "in style".

Old 01-16-2013, 09:16 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I had always dated (and then eventually married, and divorced) preppy professional sorts.

After I got divorced when I was around 40, I felt like I knew everyone in my regular social circles, and wasn't interested in any of them. So I got on match.com. After a couple of months of dating my usual sort (and getting bored with it) and dating some really weird people (and deciding, errr, no way!) a guy contacted me online and he caught my attention.

He looked normal - had a photo of himself and his son apparently standing in the church sanctuary (hmmmmm...). Anyway, he had on a shirt with a tie and Docker type pants. The picture was from sort of far away so I really couldn't see his face and hair all that well but he looked like he had a nice smile. Perfectly normal looking!

After a couple of calls, we agreed to meet at a local restaurant. OMG when he walked in, our eyes locked and within one hour we were crazy about each other, and setting up the next date. Problem was - he had to go out of town on business for a couple of weeks. So - we went our separate ways and just talked on the phone between getting together.

He called when he got back into town, early on a Saturday morning, and said, "Hey, I have a lot of errands to run today, but do you want to hang out with me? We can grab some lunch afterwards but I think you'd be good company. I have to go buy some boots."

Boots. Of course - he meant work boots, right?

He came by and picked me up - in a huge pickup truck. It had mud on the floorboards and he said he was sorry, but that came from "on location." What?

I kept smelling leather in the cab. Finally I looked back in the backseat, and there was a saddle back there. What? People really USE those things?

Then he took me to Cavendars - the local "cowboy" store. I had probably only been in there once or twice in my life - and gotten out as quickly as I could. In there, he bought a pair of COWBOY BOOTS and a COWBOY BELT. I took note. I mean, what was he going to wear those with? He was dressed in shorts and a T-shirt.

We got back in the truck, and he said, "You mind if we listen to a little George Strait?" "I don't mind," I said, desperately trying to think of one song that I knew by this George person.

Then he said, "Hey, you wanna go grab some BBQ at the Country Tavern?" (BBQ place way out in the country) I hadn't been there, except for office parties once in a blue moon, in probably YEARS.

I finally said, "Hey. You are acting suspiciously like...a cowboy." He turned to me, grinned a heart melting grin (like only he can do!) and said, "Baby, I AM a cowboy!"

I had told him on our first date that there were three types of men I had never been attracted to - cops, coaches, and cowboys.

OH MY!

I called my daughter and said, "You will not believe what's going on right now. I am sitting in a pickup truck. There's a saddle in the back seat. We just left Cavendars. We're listening to George Strait. We're about to go eat some BBQ."

There was a long silence and then she said in a low voice, "Mom...are you sure you want to do this?"

A year later we were married. That was 8 years ago.

Love me some cowboy. IT'S SUCH A SHAME I WASTED SO MANY YEARS OF MY LIFE NOT BEING WITH ONE!
Couldn't rep you girl ......what a great story THANKS for sharing.

How do you know he's a cowboy? When he's saddle goes every where.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:21 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
All I can say is, "Don't knock 'em till you've tried 'em." You'd probably be very pleasantly surprised. I never thought I'd be married to an oilfield worker, going to see George Strait in concert, spending an afternoon in a luxury suite at a Dallas Cowboys football game, or considering a move to the Texas Hill Country...but I am SO GLAD my life took this direction!

I truly didn't have any idea what I was missing. I was ever so sophisticated...and bored.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 PM

94 posts, read 50,828 times
Quote:
A friend of mine who's originally from Oklahoma, likes to date gals he calls ''southern'', and who appreciate ''cowboys'', even though these women may have grown up in Cali instead of say, GA or TN. And though I'm still a city boy, I ''get'' what he's talking about... it's a culture, a lifestyle and an attitude, that's more than just liking country music and wearing sh*t kickers.

But to us ''outsiders'', what to call this huge demographic, that's easy enough to recognize, yet doesn't even really have a name for itself.... or does it (and how do they feel about using all those ''other'' names, even among themselves)? BTW, it seems odd that we casually discuss things like Hispanic, Jewish or Black culture and politics, yet we can't seem to come up with a good name for what is probably the largest cultural group in the country, with pretty identifiable tastes (like Nascar, country music, fried foods, guns, heavy drinking, rural living, etc..... and being ''white'' is only a part of it)!
He's the guy with 50 stab wounds to his back and still trying to get to his feet. He's the guy who lost all but one pint of blood, yet won't let his eyes close. He's the guy who always dies in the end because he trusted someone who shouldn't be trusted. He's the guy who hears your screams for help and comes running while others speed off or lock their doors. You cannot put a pricetag on that. He wouldn't give your safe combination out, if they were dripping solder in his boxer shorts.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:51 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
It means you'll be made fun of by the elitist liberals who think they are smarter and more worldly than everyone else. It also means your most likely not a liberal so if those terms are thrown at you they are a badge of honor IMO.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:52 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Nice.

My country boy works in the oilfield.

I love a man who goes to work wearing jeans and steel toed boots!
You been watching Urban Cowboy?

Old 01-16-2013, 09:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:

Just don't call them city types -- but redneck and country and cowboys aren't offensive terms -- even hillbilly can be a label worn with pride but isn't the same as redneck or cowboy.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:00 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Just don't call them city types -- but redneck and country and cowboys aren't offensive -- even hillbilly can be a label worn with pride but isn't the same as redneck or cowboy.
Late for supper!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies