Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 06:42 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,225,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Fine. Use whatever you have confidence in. I trust my Mini-14.

thats a fine rifle too, the action of a M14 or M1A, which is also the action of the M1 Garand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 06:48 AM

39,897 posts, read 26,590,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Fine. Use whatever you have confidence in. I trust my Mini-14.
Certainly shoot whatever you like. But with the Mini-14 you give up a lot. It's unlikely a -14 will ever rival the accuracy of a quality AR-15. You're not likely to ever see one on the competition lines. You give up one of the nicest features of the -15, the modularity that allows you to swap barrels and calibers (uppers) for different uses in a matter of seconds. The ability to field strip one in seconds for cleaning. The recoil management system (design that puts the barrel right in line with the stock, and the buffer system). And life will probably be a fraction of that of a well built AR. While a civilian gun, the AR design is based on a design for the military, using specific steels, heat treatment and finishes that engineered to give the rifle a long service live. Most that are originally designed for civilian use are not designed or intended to shoot the number of rounds in their life that a military rifle does.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,626,176 times
People with no knowledge of guns have been led to believe that an AR-15 is the same gun used by Marines when they invade and go to war. And "assault weapon" as a description has been used over and over to drive "that point" home.

You have the masses convinced that Americans are walking around with machine guns that the military use when they are at war.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:56 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,736,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
You neglected to mention that the 5.56x45 has a projectile designed to "keyhole" on impact to do maximum soft tissue damage so that any hit would do enough damage to incapacitate a soldier. It was never intended as a sporting round, but as a cheap and lightweight method of killing men. It is a far inferior cartridge to many/most other .22 centerfire cartridges. The only appeal is that there was a lot of cheap surplus ammo after Viet Nam.

My .38 does the same thing, especially with the hollow points it shoots.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,888,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
People with no knowledge of guns have been led to believe that an AR-15 is the same gun used by Marines when they invade and go to war. And "assault weapon" as a description has been used over and over to drive "that point" home.

You have the masses convinced that Americans are walking around with machine guns that the military use when they are at war.
And the armor piercing ammo is just for those pesky Texas Armadillos, huh?

Old 01-17-2013, 06:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,626,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
And the armor piercing ammo is just for those pesky Texas Armadillos, huh?
Where in my post did I talk about ammo fb ?

Are you deflecting here ?

Old 01-17-2013, 06:59 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,605,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Yes, I'll admit the AR15 (and other semi auto assault weapons) function the same as other semi autos. But I'd like you to admit that a lot of the features on the AR15 share more than cosmetic similarities to the M16... namely features for battlefield use that allow for rounds to be fired as quickly as possible for sustained amounts of time. Pistol grips to reduce wrist strain during sustained fire. Features to minimize recoil thus allowing less time to reaim. Barrell shrouds to minimize heat transfer to the hand, again allowing sustained fire.
Name one feature please.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:01 AM

651 posts, read 706,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Certainly shoot whatever you like. But with the Mini-14 you give up a lot. It's unlikely a -14 will ever rival the accuracy of a quality AR-15. You're not likely to ever see one on the competition lines. You give up one of the nicest features of the -15, the modularity that allows you to swap barrels and calibers (uppers) for different uses in a matter of seconds. The ability to field strip one in seconds for cleaning. The recoil management system (design that puts the barrel right in line with the stock, and the buffer system). And life will probably be a fraction of that of a well built AR. While a civilian gun, the AR design is based on a design for the military, using specific steels, heat treatment and finishes that engineered to give the rifle a long service live. Most that are originally designed for civilian use are not designed or intended to shoot the number of rounds in their life that a military rifle does.
I sold my mini14 took it out of the closet after the last ban in 94 and shot it for the first time in 2008, sold it the next day. I was a POS. I read a statement from Ruger that said it was because of worn out dies that they should have updated and did not. What ever.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:02 AM

57,410 posts, read 26,355,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Just because it is not used by the military makes it no less deadly if you can fire almost 100 rounds in the semi-automatic mode, very little functional difference between the AR-15 military guns. The AR-15 is an earlier design from the 1960's that was basically the same design as the subsequent military versions.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,605,183 times
I don't understand what we are trying to explain here. The original intent of the 2a is to ensure civilian have the same firearm as the army infantry.

There was no intent for sporting or even self defense. I quote "being necessary to the security of a free State."

In a sense we need to repeal the NFA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies